Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times

Advertisements

Is crime really that bad in Tampa Bay ?
I often think the fear of crime is much,much greater than the chances of actually being a victim.
Whenever Waterside at Coquina Key is mentoned on here the usual suspects chime in with it being surrounded by a bad area - but when you actually look at the crime map there really isn't that much crime and certainly very little against innocent passersby.
Yet some people would have you believe that south of Downtown St Pete is on a par with the Bronx or South Central LA complete with car-jackings and drive-by shootings.
I have to say that's not what I see and hear from people living here on a daily basis.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually been a victim of serious crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
nope... but I can tell it does happen, not all makes news, specially here -where sports is the headlines 24-7- but look at Pinellas arrested pictures and see how many in ONE DAY>>>

Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Is crime really that bad in Tampa Bay ?
I often think the fear of crime is much,much greater than the chances of actually being a victim.
Whenever Waterside at Coquina Key is mentoned on here the usual suspects chime in with it being surrounded by a bad area - but when you actually look at the crime map there really isn't that much crime and certainly very little against innocent passersby.
Yet some people would have you believe that south of Downtown St Pete is on a par with the Bronx or South Central LA complete with car-jackings and drive-by shootings.
I have to say that's not what I see and hear from people living here on a daily basis.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually been a victim of serious crime.
The post I responed to was a person from up north looking for a vacation spot for a week in St.Pete...Waterside would not be my first choice...when people are on vacation they want to be in a spot that is in the middle of the action...Waterside while lovely doesn't fit that bill...I didn't know if they even had a rental car...so 15 minutes from the beach could be a issue!Right?I am not going to debate whether the drive into whatever street you take goes through a rough area...they are tourists who knows what route they would take...but just the fact that they should avoid some routes...is a problem in itself!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 AM

So, still no stories from victims of serious crime ?
Take away the low-lifes in the ghetto who will always be killing the crap out of each other and actually the chances of someone in St Pete becoming a random victim of crime are very very low.
I often think it's the fear of crime rather than crime itself which drives some of the negativity on here.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,483 times
South St. Pete is a getto, and of course, it posesses all the ills of a getto. Tampa/St. Pete has the average amount of crime for cities of its size from what I have seen.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I think Clearwater are is pretty safe, unless you go looking for problems most places are safe to be in any where. My thought is never look too touristy, and keep a low profile. Put away the gold and fat wallets and don't tell anyone your plans unless is family/close friends--- I have walked Miami-Tampa, Newark, NJ, NY City- Ft Lauderdale, Philly, DC and LA and overseas at all hours- but just act like I live there, never had a problem.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
South St. Pete is a getto, and of course, it posesses all the ills of a getto. Tampa/St. Pete has the average amount of crime for cities of its size from what I have seen.

Really ?
It must be a pretty large ghetto if you include all of South St Pete.
Perhaps you might furnish your argument with some facts and figures rather than hearsay and hysteria.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Four hospitalized in St. Petersburg shootings

Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM

323 posts, read 685,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
The best part is these were obviously people passing through, since they were shot at while in a limo..in South St Pete. Betcha they won't be doing that again anytime real soon...I know I haven't had a single compelling reason to go that direction since moving out of the area. Maybe to get across the bridge..but that's what 275 is for.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I think Clearwater are is pretty safe, unless you go looking for problems most places are safe to be in any where. My thought is never look too touristy, and keep a low profile. Put away the gold and fat wallets and don't tell anyone your plans unless is family/close friends--- I have walked Miami-Tampa, Newark, NJ, NY City- Ft Lauderdale, Philly, DC and LA and overseas at all hours- but just act like I live there, never had a problem.
Guess I won't have to worry as much because I have neither...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay