Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times

Advertisements

So it happened again last night … several kids drove down our street and smashed up a bunch of mailboxes at 3:00 a.m. I am SICK of this stuff happening. Most of my immediate neighbors are sweet, elderly folks and they don't deserve having their property destroyed. This has been a frequent occurrence on our street over the past few years since the economy tanked and we ended up with a bunch of low-income, dysfunctional families in our neighborhood. The police have been contacted numerous times, but my neighbors say all they can do is write up a report and patrol the area … the kids never get caught.

So … my question is, what can we do to keep this from happening?

I CANNOT WAIT to get out of this area. I've lived in many places throughout my lifetime, and I've NEVER been subjected to so many neighborhood problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Sorry to hear about the hoodlums in your neighborhood. What a pain. I have not experienced such issues while living here. Perhaps you could purchase a video system that is able to record in the dark. Set it up so it can read the license plate of a vehicle as it passes by. ??

Or put up a 'dummy' mailbox which is welded onto a solid metal post that is extremely sturdy. Fill the mailbox with concrete. Most likely this mailbox will break the bat the kids are using, or possibly their wrists.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 18,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
So it happened again last night … several kids drove down our street and smashed up a bunch of mailboxes at 3:00 a.m. I am SICK of this stuff happening. Most of my immediate neighbors are sweet, elderly folks and they don't deserve having their property destroyed. This has been a frequent occurrence on our street over the past few years since the economy tanked and we ended up with a bunch of low-income, dysfunctional families in our neighborhood. The police have been contacted numerous times, but my neighbors say all they can do is write up a report and patrol the area … the kids never get caught.

So … my question is, what can we do to keep this from happening?

I CANNOT WAIT to get out of this area. I've lived in many places throughout my lifetime, and I've NEVER been subjected to so many neighborhood problems!
where do you live?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Sorry to hear about the hoodlums in your neighborhood. What a pain. I have not experienced such issues while living here. Perhaps you could purchase a video system that is able to record in the dark. Set it up so it can read the license plate of a vehicle as it passes by. ??

Or put up a 'dummy' mailbox which is welded onto a solid metal post that is extremely sturdy. Fill the mailbox with concrete. Most likely this mailbox will break the bat the kids are using, or possibly their wrists.
One of my neighbors asked the police if they could do the dummy mailbox thing, but the police said if the kids got injured from that it could go to court. I'd love to do a video surveillance system, but that would cost too much money.

Maybe we need to organize some sort of neighborhood watch.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownBull View Post
where do you live?
In what used to be a decent neighborhood in Spring Hill, but now our area has gotten really bad.

Thankfully, we are moving.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Does anyone know how much a good nighttime surveillance system costs? Maybe I could get some neighbors to go in on it together. I'd like to see these kids caught and punished for their destructive acts.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:02 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
I say do the mailbox thing.... put it on an easement or some sort of public piece of land and act like you know nothing about it.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:05 PM

420 posts, read 864,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I say do the mailbox thing.... put it on an easement or some sort of public piece of land and act like you know nothing about it.

As great of an idea that this is, you will get sued if you follow this advice.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM

I didn't know they were that cheap! Great! I will approach our neighbors with this info and see if we can get one set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay