Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,715 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family and I are thinking of moving from the northeast to Sarasota. I have my own patent/trademark law practice that I will move also. However, I am concerned that Sarasota may not have enough patent/trademark business for me, and I am wondering if you all think that Tampa/St Pete potential clients would want to deal with a Sarasota patent attorney? Usually, I don't have to meet my clients in person to do their work for them, but I know many people like to meet the person they are doing business with before shelling over money. If it is a big problem, I could always get a virtual office in the Tampa area where I can meet with potential clients once a week. Thanks for any input!!

blakesq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 AM

anyone? How about anyone with a profession in the Sarasota area, do you think it is difficult to get clients in the Tampa area? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi All,

My family and I are thinking of moving from the northeast to Sarasota. I have my own patent/trademark law practice that I will move also. However, I am concerned that Sarasota may not have enough patent/trademark business for me, and I am wondering if you all think that Tampa/St Pete potential clients would want to deal with a Sarasota patent attorney? Usually, I don't have to meet my clients in person to do their work for them, but I know many people like to meet the person they are doing business with before shelling over money. If it is a big problem, I could always get a virtual office in the Tampa area where I can meet with potential clients once a week. Thanks for any input!!

blakesq

Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi All,

blakesq
Who is your average client? I view the Sarasota market as very limited; very few businesses large enough to support strong commercial rates (and so very few significant law firms). If your client base is mostly mom and pops, you'll probably be fine. If you're looking for larger businesses, not many opportunities. and extending from Sarasota to Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater could be challenging. It's a full hour away and there's not much interaction between us in-house guys in the bay area and in-house guys in Sarasota. FWIW, I'd agree that face time with IP counsel is usually unimportant, and if we're meeting in person, it's at my office, not yours, so that's not a big deal either. Just tough to extend the network that far north when us clients aren't connected -- you could be doing great work and I'd never hear about you. I'd recommend you pick a city larger than Sarasota (which is what I'd suggest for most people who need a job, outside of a few industries, e.g., elder-anything, tourism, etc.).

Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks BBI. About 70% of my clientele are individuals with inventions. The remaining 30% are small to medium sized businesses. If a big client wanted to meet with me, I would have no problem making the hour drive to Tampa/ST PETE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Who is your average client? I view the Sarasota market as very limited; very few businesses large enough to support strong commercial rates (and so very few significant law firms). If your client base is mostly mom and pops, you'll probably be fine. If you're looking for larger businesses, not many opportunities. and extending from Sarasota to Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater could be challenging. It's a full hour away and there's not much interaction between us in-house guys in the bay area and in-house guys in Sarasota. FWIW, I'd agree that face time with IP counsel is usually unimportant, and if we're meeting in person, it's at my office, not yours, so that's not a big deal either. Just tough to extend the network that far north when us clients aren't connected -- you could be doing great work and I'd never hear about you. I'd recommend you pick a city larger than Sarasota (which is what I'd suggest for most people who need a job, outside of a few industries, e.g., elder-anything, tourism, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay