Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 AM

50 posts, read 91,150 times

Advertisements

Florida school grades were released today. Those of you planning to move may want to use this as a tool to do your research...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,323,101 times
What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmac View Post
Florida school grades were released today. Those of you planning to move may want to use this as a tool to do your research...

Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Each school in Florida is given a grade based on performance. If I were moving to Florida from another state(like I did last year), I would use this as a guide as to where I may want to buy/rent my home. For example, if I'm looking at a home that is in a "D" rated school zone, and another home that is in an "A" rated school zone, I would choose the "A" school home.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,323,101 times
Ohh...But wait a minute, that information is available on greatschools.org too! what's different?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM

The school grades I'm referring to are the ones issued by the state of Florida...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 27,967 times
Do you have a link to the state website for this info? Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM

School Accountability Report --This is the state website. It's in excel format & difficult to read because it's so large. Bay News 9 created a PDF document for Bay area schools. http://www.baynews9.com/content/dam/...rades-2012.pdf

High school grades will not be released for a while. These are just elementary and middle school grades.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,805,014 times
This is just proof that our schools typically reflect the community from which they are drawing. It's sad that a school drawing from a disadvantaged area is graded using the same criteria as a school from a very affluent area. I find that to be very unfair.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM

46 posts, read 140,216 times
Default Soooooo...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
This is just proof that our schools typically reflect the community from which they are drawing. It's sad that a school drawing from a disadvantaged area is graded using the same criteria as a school from a very affluent area. I find that to be very unfair.
So does this imply that after graduation it is unfair to expect that a child from a "disadvantaged" area would be able to compete with children from an "advantaged" area, or, maybe they should just be given "special" consideration when considering them for things such as jobs, salary, homes, etc. and let them get what they haven't been able to earn on their own. Geeze!

Pretty dumb logic!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 PM

6,621 posts, read 5,027,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlts1 View Post
So does this imply that after graduation it is unfair to expect that a child from a "disadvantaged" area would be able to compete with children from an "advantaged" area, or, maybe they should just be given "special" consideration when considering them for things such as jobs, salary, homes, etc. and let them get what they haven't been able to earn on their own. Geeze!

Pretty dumb logic!
I think it is your logic that is flawed. The poster is talking about schools and how they are graded. It is unfair to grade all schools regardless of their socioeconomic level on the same scale. We are talking about how schools are rated, and in that their educators, you cant say that a teacher who has a classroom full of kids who come from two parent homes, who's parents are involved and place an emphasis in academics, who get good grades is doing a better job than the teacher who has "disadvantaged" children, who's parents are apathetic to academics, or just don't have the time, because they get lower grades or dont perform as well in the FCAT. It is a fallacy. You want to somehow turn this into an "affirmative action" discussion, which is not, this are children not adults, you cant expect a second grader to take personal responsibility for their studies, you have to teach that behavior, and it usually comes from your parents, when they are not around then is an issue. I used to live in Brandon, my daughter went to a school which was very diverse, she was a b student at best, some c's. Once she started school in South Tampa it was night and day, you have a concentration of students who's parents expect them to do well, and are very involved, so its cool to be smart, its cool to do good in school, in that environment my daughter excelled,and I can tell you the teachers weren't that much better than the ones in Brandon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: