Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM

205 posts, read 294,020 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...I'm a recent college grad that grew up here in Temple Terrace. I have some job leads in the area, and should they materialize, I'll be looking to move into an apartment somewhere around other young people. I've done research on many areas (Hyde Park, Rocky Point, Westshore), but seeing as how I've grown up in the burbs my entire life, I'm really intrigued by the prospect of downtown living.

I don't go to downtown very often, and when I do, it's to hang out at places like the Channelside complex or to go to the Forum for events. I'm confused about downtown/Channelside because sometimes it seems like a happening place, and sometimes it seems pretty sketch as I don't see anybody there whatsoever after about 8pm...it really depends.

A little more about myself: I'll probably be looking for studio/1br places in the $800-$1300 range. I'm a single guy but I'm kinda shy and like a more laid back social atmosphere (don't like clubs really, but I like bars, especially if the bar has a really chill vibe to it). I like the idea of living in a complex where I can become friends with my neighbors or with others through organized complex activities or something similar to that. I'm attracted to places that are more modern in feel. It would also be awesome if I lived somewhere with a view.

I'm curious to see if anyone here lives in downtown or knows of people who live there, and can tell me if they enjoy it or not, or whether or not living there looks like a good fit for me. I'll be happy to give more info if needed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I've been to many hockey games at the arena and walking through downtown core from my hotel (Howard Johnsons)at around 7pm is like walking through a ghost town until you get to the immediate arena area, i'll presume if nothing is happening at the arena even that area is devoid of human activity,
So other than Ybor City wheres the action in Tampa because it certainly isnt downtown.

Welcome to the forum TampaGator89.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been to many hockey games at the arena and walking through downtown core from my hotel (Howard Johnsons)at around 7pm is like walking through a ghost town until you get to the immediate arena area, i'll presume if nothing is happening at the arena even that area is devoid of human activity,
So other than Ybor City wheres the action in Tampa because it certainly isnt downtown.

Welcome to the forum TampaGator89.
Thank you jambo. I would not expect downtown especially the CBD to be busy like Ybor or Soho is, but really all I've seen in terms of people past 8 or 9pm have been at the Channelside entertainment area and Harbor Island near Jackson's...but I have not checked everywhere of course.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM

420 posts, read 864,629 times
If I left Hyde Park, it would be for downtown. I think that you'll be fine living downtown. A friend of mine lives there and loves it. She enjoys having a few bars and some good restaurants closeby.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
My husband has worked downtown for 12 years now, and has seen it improve by leaps and bounds. He is always telling me about new stuff going on down there. Also, the current mayor is REALLY invested in bringing downtown Tampa up by several notches. There are more people than ever before living down there. The new Encore project going in just north of downtown is really going to be a shot in the arm for the area as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm interested in the Encore project as well, especially since it might finally bring a Publix to downtown in a couple of years, along with all different kinds of people.

Does anyone know of any good realtors for downtown/south Tampa? I figure when things get more specific I'll try to go that route so I get the biggest sampling of apartments.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Would Harbour Island be considered downtown, you can walk to channelside from it?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagator89 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm interested in the Encore project as well, especially since it might finally bring a Publix to downtown in a couple of years, along with all different kinds of people.

Does anyone know of any good realtors for downtown/south Tampa? I figure when things get more specific I'll try to go that route so I get the biggest sampling of apartments.
my husband sent me some aerial shots of the progress of Encore today - the Publix there looks like it's well on it's way to being done from what I can see.

Here is a recent article from TBO.com regarding young professionals moving to downtown (in case some of you missed it):

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...oom-ar-425615/

Last edited by gypsychic; 07-19-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,847 times
I have some friends that live in The Place at Channelside, and they're very happy there. I'd love to live there myself. The Channelside condos district is very up and coming. I'm also not a fan of clubs, but I do love bars. One of my favourite Tampa bars is in that area, The Pour House, which is located within Grand Central at Kennedy. Good place to go for some tasty craft beers and a relaxed vibe.

I would try Coldwell Banker, they often have info on condos in that area. Or check out Google Maps, look at the names of each complex, and find their web site.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:59 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
I know someone that lives in The Slade. He like it there bc the people are friendly and he's getting to know his neighbors. I always see young and middle age people walking there dogs and other stuff in that area. And the rental prices are in your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: