Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 03:04 PM

55 posts, read 150,019 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been doing apartment searches for the past few weeks in anticipation of my move to Tampa, and was hoping you could give me any insight into what you may know of these complexes. I've tried to do apartment review searches on them all through multiple sites, but as you are probably aware, most of the time when consumers leave reviews it is because they had a bad experience. Apartments are the same- and reviews from 10 people out of hundreds (thousands even?) of people who have lived there always paint a picture of paper walls, crime, partying, bug infestations etc.

I'm looking for a more realistic review- if any of you have lived in these or have heard anything in general. I am not asking anyone go out of their way to do additional research for me- just anything you may have heard or know from personal experience would be great. Thanks in advance!

By the way, if it matters I am a 33 year old male, single, social, professional... I can deal with adult socializing type noise and am looking for a place that has tenants that are around (pool/BBQ area etc) rather than hermits... and ideally very few children around screaming all day (not a kid person). Also trying to stay within walking distance to bars/restaurants/shopping.

Thanks!

Hyde Park area:

Mainsail South
The Cove
McKinley Palma Ceia
Camden Preserve
Post Hyde Park
South Pointe
Madison at Soho (condos but have availability to rent)
Westminster Chase

St Pete area:

Calais Park
The Reserve at Gateway
Promenade at Carillon

Channelside area:

Bell Channelside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM

554 posts, read 977,224 times
I live in Calais Park. I have no problems at all here. The units are large, modern and the complex is pretty quiet and uneventful. Maintenance is quick to respond and the property is well maintained. As far as location, they are literaly 15 seconds from 1 275. 5 miles to downtown St. Pete and about 15 miles to downtown Tampa. The one slight downside is that the area along 54th ave outside of the neighborhood is slightly to moderatly sketchy, however the complex is down 22nd st a bit away from 54th so you don't see any of it from within the units. I would not have any issue renewing when my lease is up unless I find something right on the water at a reasonable price. Let me know if you are interested in them as they have referral programs.

Last edited by sportsterjohn; 08-26-2012 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: changed ave to st

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Cool, thanks John... Exactly the kind of information I am looking for. It sounds pretty nice. One of the reasons I liked that complex is to get a garage, so I'm not too worried about the nearby sketchy-ness since my car would be enclosed.

You say its uneventful- is it REALLY quiet and unsocial? One thing I am looking for is the ability to meet new 20-30 year old (or so) friends (guys and women) at the pool, or other shared complex space. Is this something that is possible?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM

554 posts, read 977,224 times
They do have community events from time to time. People do go to the pool, not sure how many singles are there hanging out to meet people though. It is only a 10 minute drive to downtown st pete and there is a lot of partying going on down there.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 30,931 times
If you haven't looked at Tortuga Pointe on Gandy Blvd in St Pete, I would def check them out. They are a very nice complex with a modern touch, and is in a pretty good location. It is right next to the bridge so everything is easily accessible.

I took a tour there this past Saturday and saw a decent amount of people at the pool, but it also had that laid back feel to it which I liked. I am a mid 20s single guy who is also looking for a new place to live (currently in Palm Harbor) and I am leaning toward Tortuga. It is a little pricy as a 1br will be around $1100.

I would def check them out if you haven't already!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
They do have community events from time to time. People do go to the pool, not sure how many singles are there hanging out to meet people though. It is only a 10 minute drive to downtown st pete and there is a lot of partying going on down there.
Good deal, I will probably send you a direct message before I contact them to get you in there as a referral. I'll be coming down to check out apartments in 2-3 weeks. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdonnel1 View Post
If you haven't looked at Tortuga Pointe on Gandy Blvd in St Pete, I would def check them out. They are a very nice complex with a modern touch, and is in a pretty good location. It is right next to the bridge so everything is easily accessible.

I took a tour there this past Saturday and saw a decent amount of people at the pool, but it also had that laid back feel to it which I liked. I am a mid 20s single guy who is also looking for a new place to live (currently in Palm Harbor) and I am leaning toward Tortuga. It is a little pricy as a 1br will be around $1100.

I would def check them out if you haven't already!
Ha, I like the main page stationary photo spread on their site . That looks like a really cool complex, thanks for pointing that out. I don't think Tortuga Pointe shows up on Apartments.com for some reason. This place looks very nice though. $1100 isn't too bad. Did you happen to see garages there? Cant see any in the gallery. Not a must-have for me, but it would be nice.

I've noticed St Pete you get more bang for your buck compared to Hyde Park.

Ultimately, my concern with rent amount isn't so much what I have to pay, its more that I don't want to price myself out of where fun/social professional people could be, and overspend into a place that has older residents that wouldn't be what I am looking for as far as a social aspect is concerned.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 30,931 times
Yeah it is a pretty cool complex with a nice pool and an awesome gym. They do have garages available for an extra $175 per month or you can get just covered parking for $25. Another cool thing is that in the middle of each building is a courtyard and I am pretty sure they said every apartment's balcony/patio faces into the courtyard. They have gas grills out there and it looks like a nice place to just relax.

I was also worried about the chance of it being a little older since rent is a little high, but I do not think they will be an issue for you since you are a little older then me.

Hyde Park is really expensive and I have only gone out over there a handful of times but from what I read on this board its that St Pete is more laid back where as Tampa you have more of a frat/soro type deal. (If that isn't true, someone feel free to correct me)

I would def go take a tour of it though! Not like there is anything to lose

Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM

Hmmm, sounds like St Pete may be more to my liking- if the frat thing is true. Never been a fratty type person, even at a college age.

I think I will probably focus a bit more on the St Pete side.

Thanks Rdonnel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay