Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
compared to miami/ft. lauderdale people in the tampa bay area are incredibly friendly. most people here are transplants from either the northeast, midwest or a latin/caribbean country and are at least initially very open to a fresh start with hopes of a better life. Where it goes from there is all over the map pending the individuals experience. there are very very few people here native to the area whose family has been here forever, like you would see in established areas all over the northeast and midwest. Anyhow, yes, it is much more friendly than south florida.
Depends how you are- if you fit their criteria in Tampabay they are friendly- if you do not- forget it. In S. Fla, if you don't have an attitude, you make lots of friends, like any BIG city- Miami extroverted open to all, Tampabay- intoverts and only deal with like people... fact. And it does not matter if you black, white, latino from Utah or an oriental from California, you must simply be like them.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
My take on it - friendly is as friendly does!

If you are an outgoing, friendly person, you will probably find the people you meet to be the same, no matter where you are from or where you go.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
agree w/ that 100%
I do too and it sad- because except for hitting people over the head and dragging them to my house... every body still just goes home and closes the door-

Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
That is exactly what I was talking about as well.

Cannot argue that:

All though, neither city is meant to be Sillicon Valley, or even Fort Lauderdale...so...you cannot expect much from small towns in FL...the only thing in Gainesville is University of Florida!

AND This is that "precious" attitude that Northerners bring down here that we don't like:

It IS because of this attitude that they don't socialize, and assume that everyone is an idiot in FL. Next time you see someone closing their garage door really fast try this: ring the door bell, and ask for an egg, and then ask them where they're from!
I think she/he said that in jest. I worked in NYC right out of college, I worked with other college graduates of whom probably 50% had moved to nyc from all over the country. They would complain about the same things we complained Traffic, cab drivers, etc, never once did i over hear anyone telling them "well if you don't like what dont you move back". They would ask me to join them to a bar to watch a Browns/Viking game, again never once did anyone tell them to stop rooting for their crappy team. In the other hand when we move down here, we can't complain about anything because apparently is our fault to begin with, and we should be happy to be living in paradise. The lunacy to think I am going to root for the BUCS/RAYS over the teams that I grew up with. I understand that its obnoxious to root against the local teams, I am a sympathizer, but not over teams that I have a personal relationship with for the last 25 years.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
& This is how this disconnect happens...people moving here from up north anywhere don't come here with the thought of a new start, as in being concerned with making new friends, or being friendly to others...they come here thinking that they'll just not mow snow anymore, watch TV, get fat, sit in AC and go fishing. Of course that's a minimization, but that's pretty much it. Of course if you dig deep enough you might get lucky and find the exception...but 80/90% of the time they are only concerned with themselves, and no one else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
In the other hand when we move down here, we can't complain about anything because apparently is our fault to begin with, and we should be happy to be living in paradise. The lunacy to think I am going to root for the BUCS/RAYS over the teams that I grew up with. I understand that its obnoxious to root against the local teams, I am a sympathizer, but not over teams that I have a personal relationship with for the last 25 years.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I find it amazing that my family and I have done more around here in 2 years than many of the people we have met whom have been here 10+ years.

I think it's about time to go rent a boat again!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 PM

You came from ALASKA. Big whoopy difference.
I doubt you refuse to hold the door for someone else because you think you're too precious! I also don't think you came here thinking all Floridians are stupid, or 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I find it amazing that my family and I have done more around here in 2 years than many of the people we have met whom have been here 10+ years.

I think it's about time to go rent a boat again!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
You came from ALASKA. Big whoopy difference.
I doubt you refuse to hold the door for someone else because you think you're too precious! I also don't think you came here thinking all Floridians are stupid, or 80.

Big whoopy difference? HUH???

Yeah, you're right. I do hold open doors for people, in fact I have taught my kids to do the same. Nah, didn't think all Floridians were stupid or 80 either.

But man, after watching all those rap videos with Pitbull in Miami I was expecting nothing but gorgeous women wearing bikinis! And I do have to say, they looked like they were being awfully friendly.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 PM

hahahahahahahahahaha Priceless...This is why I stopped watching TV!
They are......but that's a different kind of friendly! That's "R-rated" friendly! hahahahaha
Quote:
But man, after watching all those rap videos with Pitbull in Miami I was expecting nothing but gorgeous women wearing bikinis! And I do have to say, they looked like they were being awfully friendly.
My boys are 6 1/2 and almost 3, and we're reading "How to be a gentleman!" That will be their bible as long as I am around.

Different "vibe" in Alaska than NY, or New Jersey...IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Big whoopy difference? HUH???
Yeah, you're right. I do hold open doors for people, in fact I have taught my kids to do the same. Nah, didn't think all Floridians were stupid or 80 either.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
& This is how this disconnect happens...people moving here from up north anywhere don't come here with the thought of a new start, as in being concerned with making new friends, or being friendly to others...they come here thinking that they'll just not mow snow anymore, watch TV, get fat, sit in AC and go fishing. Of course that's a minimization, but that's pretty much it. Of course if you dig deep enough you might get lucky and find the exception...but 80/90% of the time they are only concerned with themselves, and no one else.
I think you are way off base. I don't understand the concept of a new start. I moved to another state, I am not on a lam. Nothing of what i said would indicate that I want to watch tv, get fat, sit in AC and go fishing. I pay someone to mow my grass here, I paid someone to plow the snow up north, no difference to me. I am friendly with my neighbors, I am also friendly to all the parents my kids force me to spend time with. There is a couple of families that we actually hang out with, but everyone is busy. If i am in the playground I am either playing with my kids, or trying to answer emails or phone calls. I also think Gen x'rs are more comfortable being by themselves, and the new generation even more so, I see my middle school age daughter and her friends they are alone together, they are hanging out but everyone is doing their thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay