Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

I am afraid you are right about the "being together, but doing their own thing"! I did not grow up like that...on the contrary!

But why do you feel "forced" to talk to the other kids parents? I don't feel "forced" at all to socialize with the other patents, but I do get disappointed when ppl act to superior to exchange a few words! How else are you then supposed to make new friends then????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I think you are way off base. I don't understand the concept of a new start. I moved to another state, I am not on a lam. Nothing of what i said would indicate that I want to watch tv, get fat, sit in AC and go fishing. I pay someone to mow my grass here, I paid someone to plow the snow up north, no difference to me. I am friendly with my neighbors, I am also friendly to all the parents my kids force me to spend time with. There is a couple of families that we actually hang out with, but everyone is busy. If i am in the playground I am either playing with my kids, or trying to answer emails or phone calls. I also think Gen x'rs are more comfortable being by themselves, and the new generation even more so, I see my middle school age daughter and her friends they are alone together, they are hanging out but everyone is doing their thing.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
It's just not the same as it was when i was growing up in the 60's and 70's in Danashores. All of our neighbors knew each other and they lived around us for over 20 years. Now days people move in and out and never get to know each other.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
It's all us northerners fault...blah blah...we have some nerve spending our northern dollars on your sink hole houses and talk about your great public schools all two of them!!! And your great sport teams down here...wow just want to run right out and buy a ticket to see the almighty Bucs lose again and again! No one from New York sits around on a forum complaining about Floridians,really you're not given a second thought...so return the favor and get over it! The war ended over 150 yrs ago and y'all lost...badly!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 AM

205 posts, read 293,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The war ended over 150 yrs ago and y'all lost...badly!
Really?

You might normally be a nice person, I don't know, but your post contributes nothing whatsoever to this thread other than the fact that you're making yourself look like the problem.

To anyone reading this thread, you will find a lot of nice northerners here who are educated, friendly, and ready to get to know the area better and mingle well. However, you do get a lot of people who come down here and believe they are better than everyone else here, just because they own a ridiculously overpriced condo, wear a Red Sox or Yankees hat, and drive a Camaro that they're probably still making payments on. I've seen many of these people in my time here. They get cranky because Florida "wasn't what they were expecting," and have a "that's everyone's fault but mine" attitude, and as a result they're rude to everyone around them that isn't in the exact same boat they are. Which one are you, Irishiis?

And maybe you should go take in a baseball game, the Rays are very good. Or a hockey game, the Lightning are good as well. Or is football the only sport you like? After all, northerners are supposed to be multidimensional, unlike us simple southern folk who can't put dat dere two words together cuz we were edumacated in a barn!!!

Last edited by tampagator89; 10-23-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
The OP asked IF the people in Tampa are friendly...Now let's correct his question:
The people of Tampa's "city limits" are made up of the rich of south Tampa, (few who were actually BORN here), the crack towner's immediately north of that, and a few "young professionals" living in SoHo. The "rest" of the people as in former middle class, remainder of the middle class, native Floridians live all OVER the Tampa Bay in suburbs...Lutz, Carrollwood, Odessa, Citrus Park etc etc etc

OP: Which category do you want to be friendly with here? the grocery store clerks? the bar going crowds? the singles scene? this is a "northerners"melting spot, so, you coming from west of here, and the biggest state, might be slightly culturally shocked...we can go on and on and on and on and some more on about the "people" who've" populated this area, and explain that they come here with an entitlement attitude as in: "I made it to Florida/Tampa", "I won my life's challenge", because up north there is a LOT of propaganda about Florida on Tv (We've seen it while we briefly lived there, pretty pathetic; "Ohh Florida's orange Juice" with that pathetic voice...and so on), so it is a mind's game...therefore once these people come here they feel as if "they arrived", and about 80/90% feel like Florida owes them something now that it is not what most expected it to be on day to day basis.

On another thought keep in mind that there are several colleges, and universities here in Florida:
List of colleges and universities in Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you think all of their students are "out of state" students? I doubt it...so, if you think about it, these schools are not empty, they are filled with natives born here....(some sadly from some northerner descent) which means that there are quite a few qualified/educated people walking around here, and also not all of these graduates move to California or NY to work! So, if you think about it a bit harder, you'll realize that there ARE quite a bit of educated people ALREADY HERE, ready to work good paying jobs...so, technically we don't need anymore invasions from up north companies blah, blah, blah, we have enough educated people here that can either start good companies, or we have enough employers already here who can start paying better wages.

OP...it depends on which crowd you're looking for to be friendly here...If you live with a sense of entitlement too, then you'll fit riiiiiight in...if not, you may have to dig a little deeper to find god people to hang out with.

Also, Florida was always a playground from wealthy NY'ers, read some history...the problem is that those who moved here brought little, or nothing to the table...they did not bring their mom & pop shops, they did not bring their "community" traits, none of that, they all came here to drive expensive cars on roads built by low wage paid people, and continue to do so with this entitlement rotten attitude. I wish we had a "Staten Island" between Georgia and Florida to screen these "immigrants" before allowing anymore of them to sink our state!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
There is just a lack of community-and what I do find here is people who are trying to get away FROM- something or other, and I am guilty of same, I left Miami when my son was killed, but I have not changed my feelings towards people! Sorry folks I miss the standing in a hub drinking a cuban coffee talking with people and networking. making new freinds., NOW- what brings people together?? Catastrophes- with the hurricanes in S Fla trust me- you get to know your neighbor when there are no lights for 3 weeks, and someone has a gas BBQ grill! Sometimes I have not hoped for destruction, for this area, but something to make us remember we are all the same- with and with-out money, education etc, This happens when we all get put in the same playing field, like a cat 5!- but honestly the test for me was visiting over 25 churches and no one has opened that door to ask me anything- if I need help-a prayer- where I am from- if I am suicidal with problems?-- BRRRR-- I will give my clrwrtr gym (Shps) a little kuddos as the ladies there have been the friendliest from 3 other gyms in the area. BUT still- after work out- each goes home- and that's the end of it,,, I have moved from Carrollwood Northdale, to St Pete to Clearwater and it is the same story. introverted people who are just not open to new people. Maybe that's what is true of Miami... every one is new?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I have to disagree. I have a pretty good sense of community in my Northdale neighborhood. Several neighbors brought over food when my wife was laid up. Several neighbors and other parents at the school has offered to help with our kids by picking them up after school or hanging out at their homes.

Parents speak to one another about their kids in the neighborhood. Parents have no problems approaching any of the children that may be swearing or otherwise acting inappropriately and nobody is offended by this.

It's amazing the relationships you can build when you are outside doing yard work and when you see a neighbor, turn off your mower, walk over there and start talking. Sure, they may think you are a weirdo at first... but once they realize you're just friendly you are likely to develop some sort of relationship. And if you don't, oh well... at least you know the person's name and they know yours. Never a bad thing.

Sorry you didn't have any luck picking up women in Carrollwood or Northdale..... LOL. Not exactly a hot singles spot.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
The OP asked IF the people in Tampa are friendly...Now let's correct his question:
The people of Tampa's "city limits" are made up of the rich of south Tampa, (few who were actually BORN here), the crack towner's immediately north of that, and a few "young professionals" living in SoHo. The "rest" of the people as in former middle class, remainder of the middle class, native Floridians live all OVER the Tampa Bay in suburbs...Lutz, Carrollwood, Odessa, Citrus Park etc etc etc

OP: Which category do you want to be friendly with here? the grocery store clerks? the bar going crowds? the singles scene? this is a "northerners"melting spot, so, you coming from west of here, and the biggest state, might be slightly culturally shocked...we can go on and on and on and on and some more on about the "people" who've" populated this area, and explain that they come here with an entitlement attitude as in: "I made it to Florida/Tampa", "I won my life's challenge", because up north there is a LOT of propaganda about Florida on Tv (We've seen it while we briefly lived there, pretty pathetic; "Ohh Florida's orange Juice" with that pathetic voice...and so on), so it is a mind's game...therefore once these people come here they feel as if "they arrived", and about 80/90% feel like Florida owes them something now that it is not what most expected it to be on day to day basis.

On another thought keep in mind that there are several colleges, and universities here in Florida:
List of colleges and universities in Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you think all of their students are "out of state" students? I doubt it...so, if you think about it, these schools are not empty, they are filled with natives born here....(some sadly from some northerner descent) which means that there are quite a few qualified/educated people walking around here, and also not all of these graduates move to California or NY to work! So, if you think about it a bit harder, you'll realize that there ARE quite a bit of educated people ALREADY HERE, ready to work good paying jobs...so, technically we don't need anymore invasions from up north companies blah, blah, blah, we have enough educated people here that can either start good companies, or we have enough employers already here who can start paying better wages.

OP...it depends on which crowd you're looking for to be friendly here...If you live with a sense of entitlement too, then you'll fit riiiiiight in...if not, you may have to dig a little deeper to find god people to hang out with.

Also, Florida was always a playground from wealthy NY'ers, read some history...the problem is that those who moved here brought little, or nothing to the table...they did not bring their mom & pop shops, they did not bring their "community" traits, none of that, they all came here to drive expensive cars on roads built by low wage paid people, and continue to do so with this entitlement rotten attitude. I wish we had a "Staten Island" between Georgia and Florida to screen these "immigrants" before allowing anymore of them to sink our state!
I think you mean Ellis Island. When people say Tampa they generally refer to the metro area, I doubt anyone outside of the metro area knows the difference between Wesley Chapel or Lutz or whatever other suburb. Last time i checked this was the US, I dont understand the divisiveness, who cares where you were born, or where you grew up, you want to wear a red sox hat, or drive a camaro.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagator89 View Post
Really?

You might normally be a nice person, I don't know, but your post contributes nothing whatsoever to this thread other than the fact that you're making yourself look like the problem.

To anyone reading this thread, you will find a lot of nice northerners here who are educated, friendly, and ready to get to know the area better and mingle well. However, you do get a lot of people who come down here and believe they are better than everyone else here, just because they own a ridiculously overpriced condo, wear a Red Sox or Yankees hat, and drive a Camaro that they're probably still making payments on. I've seen many of these people in my time here. They get cranky because Florida "wasn't what they were expecting," and have a "that's everyone's fault but mine" attitude, and as a result they're rude to everyone around them that isn't in the exact same boat they are. Which one are you, Irishiis?

And maybe you should go take in a baseball game, the Rays are very good. Or a hockey game, the Lightning are good as well. Or is football the only sport you like? After all, northerners are supposed to be multidimensional, unlike us simple southern folk who can't put dat dere two words together cuz we were edumacated in a barn!!!
My husband and my son are both huge Rays fans...I only watch when they play the Yankees!I own a very nice southern style home with a porch and rocking chairs...a home that would be well over a million dollars (if I could even find one)in NYC.My daughter and I share the use of a mercedes(no loan on it)and my husband and son have their own moderately priced cars with no loans either.My son just passed the Florida Bar and soon will be practicing law here in the Tampa Bay area...my daughter attends UF where she is pre-med...I'm not cranky Florida is what it is...for good or bad! Just sick of the whinning of some that resent northerners accomplishments of the American dream instead of trying to improve their own lot in life!To compare people from NY/NJ as Tony Soprano's or Goodfellows is just ignorant and proves my point of southern resentment of northerners!Anyplace is what you make of it...people are good and bad wherever you go...to put the blame on one group for your areas shortcomings is unfair...

Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM

205 posts, read 293,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My husband and my son are both huge Rays fans...I only watch when they play the Yankees!I own a very nice southern style home with a porch and rocking chairs...a home that would be well over a million dollars (if I could even find one)in NYC.My daughter and I share the use of a mercedes(no loan on it)and my husband and son have their own moderately priced cars with no loans either.My son just passed the Florida Bar and soon will be practicing law here in the Tampa Bay area...my daughter attends UF where she is pre-med...I'm not cranky Florida is what it is...for good or bad! Just sick of the whinning of some that resent northerners accomplishments of the American dream instead of trying to improve their own lot in life!To compare people from NY/NJ as Tony Soprano's or Goodfellows is just ignorant and proves my point of southern resentment of northerners!Anyplace is what you make of it...people are good and bad wherever you go...to put the blame on one group for your areas shortcomings is unfair...
Alright, you seem okay. Didn't want to get off on the wrong foot. But, as I said, growing up here for 23 years, you see nice people from up north and also ones that have predetermined and inaccurate views of this area and Florida in general. Florida is a transient state and NY is not, though NY is very diverse. I've been to NY (some family lives there) and seen my fair share of complaints about people from New Jersey or Philly...whether they complain about it to each other online I don't know...but there are no complaints about Floridians because half of the population isn't from Florida. However, you can understand that it gets frustrating sometimes to go to a Rays game and see half of the stadium rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox, and then people from Florida see this and can't help but mumble something about northerners, whether it is accurate or not. I like to hear that half of your family are Rays fans though If people from up north make efforts to integrate here after they move then they tend to get along with most everyone and nobody has a problem. And that doesn't mean giving up on their roots or anything, just making an effort to adjust to the area a bit. This sounds simple, but a lot of people that aren't from here have a difficult time doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay