Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM

22 posts, read 45,717 times

Advertisements

Hi, I lived in NY my whole life and it got so bad that I was in the hospital everynight until one of the Nurses decided that I go to the nut house. I was not committed but I did take the Amtrak to Maitland Fl and from there got on the computer, (mind you I was only down here for three days to look around) found a realtor that worked for Ackley Property Management and was given three houses to look at in my monthly price range. The day I was leaving I found the house that I have been in for over 3 years now in Poinciana. Poinciana is located in Kissimmee FL. It's a suburb and it is Beautiful but a little out the ways. I stepped out on Faith and was blind to what I was doing but I did it! I didn't know anyone down here and I didn't care as long as me and my family were Happy......Good Luck on your search and do NOT let anyone turn you away from what you want. Everyone makes a big deal about money but when your health is at stake, money is not going to help.....

Old 12-21-2012, 07:50 AM

45 posts, read 79,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I think both you guys need context. You can't really complain about "up north" and what is missing when you move to the Pittsburgh area, its like moving to the bay area and complaining about the bread in Ruskin.
I am sure Pittsburgh has all the amenities but its a smallish city, blue collar town, not really know for its cosmopolitan vibe. Also if you are complaining about its school system, not really fair to focus on the special needs part of it. Of course degrees aren't created equal where you go to school matters, agree it matters most to get you in the door, and not to say there aren't good Universities here. The bay area offers a lot for families, to say there is nothing to do its far from accurate. If you have a 1 years old, you hardly know what is being a parent in the bay area. My daughter has been going to public schools in Tampa, she has been in Duke TIPS since the fourth grade, she goes to camps/classes with kids from all over the country, she has no trouble keeping up with the academics. She will go to Plant in a couple of years, a public Tampa HS that makes the ""most challenging high schools" list year after year. Career advancement is field dependent, personally my field is smallish, when it comes time to redo my salary, i don't have the leverage I would up-north, where the threat of leaving for a competitor is more real than here, but i don;t see that as a huge drawback. People up north are nice, most people would give you the shirt off their backs, I have nothing but the best experiences with my neighbors, and community up-north, and Tampa as well.
If she is going to Plant hs then it sounds like you live in one of the best areas to be in in Tampa, which is not really equivalent to the "rest" of Tampa, especially when talking about education and activities for children. If we were to move back, south Tampa area is one of the only places I'd consider both for it geographic location close to the most attractions/activities and quality of education. However most people looking at fl from the glowing appeal from afar are looking at wow, what a house they can get for their money in new Tampa, valrico, spring hill, etc. Which is more typical fl living, and not really a fair comparison to S Tampa area.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane111 View Post
That's not the point. There are plenty of smart people going nowhere in their careers becuause they are stuck in fl with its low pay and limited opportunities. The point is being able to make it up north after being raised here.
Where else can you live in a nearly brand new home with a yard and pool for under 200k? Makes you start to think you are "someone" down here, doing well, yeah life is good.... Then get up north and see what that money will buy you, how successful you are up there compared to everyone else, realize you have got to work a lot harder to get where you 'thought' you already were in life... That's a bit of humble pie smacked in your face. Can you handle it? Can you deal with it and take on the challenge of making that good life up here? Other people are doing it, can you? Or is it all too much for you to deal with and back to fl you go where life is easy and you are back in fantasy land thinking you are quite sucessful down here, when in reality you can't make it outside of this state. (I don't mean you personally, just talking figuratively).
I kind of agree with your general statement in that it would be a lot harder to maintain similar life quality by moving from here to there while one can easily do the move from there to here. Just the housing cost will drive one nuts. It is the same in many expensive places around the world. Try to move to Paris or Tokyo and see what you need to survive. But those who already live there figured how to survive and don't know how good we have it here with 200K mansions .

I wouldn't bash the entire up north school system based on some small town experience. For young, professional starting their career there is no place like up north. As much as I would like to have my brother who is a recent graduate around here with me, I encouraged him in fact to move to D.C. where he can easily start his career and can only do well and can always move back here anytime he wants. I can move to California or up north but I could only find similar wages or a little better, which would be hard to support similar life standard. So, yeah in a sense one could stay "stuck" here. But the difference is I enjoy where I am "stuck"

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 AM

45 posts, read 79,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I kind of agree with your general statement in that it would be a lot harder to maintain similar life quality by moving from here to there while one can easily do the move from there to here. Just the housing cost will drive one nuts. It is the same in many expensive places around the world. Try to move to Paris or Tokyo and see what you need to survive. But those who already live there figured how to survive and don't know how good we have it here with 200K mansions .

I wouldn't bash the entire up north school system based on some small town experience. For young, professional starting their career there is no place like up north. As much as I would like to have my brother who is a recent graduate around here with me, I encouraged him in fact to move to D.C. where he can easily start his career and can only do well and can always move back here anytime he wants. I can move to California or up north but I could only find similar wages or a little better, which would be hard to support similar life standard. So, yeah in a sense one could stay "stuck" here. But the difference is I enjoy where I am "stuck"
If you enjoy where you are stuck, that's great. As an adult, I'd be happy to move back to fl some day. But for my little one, I don't want close the world to him and get him 'stuck' down here before he has a chance to make it anywhere and choose for himself.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Where were you BEFORE you decided to move to FL and found out that it is not to your liking?
Now you come to voice your discontent. What a joke.

Good luck in your return to where ever. You should have been asking questions before you relocated to a place you know nothing about nor wish to adapt to the lifestyle of the area.

Quote:
That's not the point. There are plenty of smart people going nowhere in their careers becuause they are stuck in fl with its low pay and limited opportunities. The point is being able to make it up north after being raised here.
Where else can you live in a nearly brand new home with a yard and pool for under 200k? Makes you start to think you are "someone" down here, doing well, yeah life is good.... Then get up north and see what that money will buy you, how successful you are up there compared to everyone else, realize you have got to work a lot harder to get where you 'thought' you already were in life... That's a bit of humble pie smacked in your face. Can you handle it? Can you deal with it and take on the challenge of making that good life up here? Other people are doing it, can you? Or is it all too much for you to deal with and back to fl you go where life is easy and you are back in fantasy land thinking you are quite sucessful down here, when in reality you can't make it outside of this state. (I don't mean you personally, just talking figuratively).

Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
You've been listening to pitbull too much. Miami is a party city with nothing else to offer. As i said, you go there to party, not to set up shop.
Will you please stop? Your lack of knowledge of this area is embarrassing.

While I personally hate Miami and think it is a foreign city, it is also a vibrant, culturally rich, amazing city with tons to offer. It is so much more than a party town.

South Beach absolutely. The rest of Miami? No. Far from it.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
If you enjoy where you are stuck, that's great. As an adult, I'd be happy to move back to fl some day. But for my little one, I don't want close the world to him and get him 'stuck' down here before he has a chance to make it anywhere and choose for himself.
We don't consider our little one is stuck here. Schools are good and we supplement his studies and so far so good. There are plenty of extracurricural activities. So, not sure how your little one will be stuck growing up here. We certainly don't feel that way.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
This is very true. In all facets of life you can begin to accept the dysfunction and mediocrity, especially in the workplace. I expressed this exact sentiment to a coworker the other day who wholeheartedly agreed. Florida dumbs you down over time.
This is an issue that a lot of us northeasterners seem to have -- moving here without embracing the lifestyle differences. I think the best example is how slow restaurant service is here. I've had family members come visit and get visibly frustrated with slow service. Then I remind them: the service here is slow, but I came here because I wanted my work to be way slower, too. Then they deal with it for the weekend.

of course, the pace of life here isn't for everyone. If you thrive on the northeastern pace of life, don't move here; you'll think everything/everyone is slow, mediocre and dumb. Move here because you want everyone to have a slower pace, because you want everyone to be very laid back and casual, because you do not want as much competition in the workplace, because you do not want to work as hard. If that's not your cup of tea, that's completely fine. But don't move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
There is not much of anything to do except for commercial attractions that cost $ and outlet malls. The blazing sun and scorching heat limit all your outdoor activities, and the beach and art fairs get old pretty fast.
This is mostly personal preference stuff, but my experience has been very different. For me, the weather/seasons are so much better than up north, where most of the year it's too cold for me to want to go outside. The summer heat here doesn't keep me inside at all. I don't get tired of the beach (or fishing, paddleboarding, kayaking, etc.). And, I'm not sure where you live, but the events and festivals we have in/around St. Pete (most aren't "art fairs") are great. Beautiful day and there's live music and a beer truck? Yes, please. Best of all, I now have a work/life balance that actually permits me to take advantage of what's going on.

This is another thing a lot of us transplants seem to get wrong. If this place doesn't have what you like to do for fun, don't live here. If you prefer northeastern weather to FL weather, don't live here.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Quote:
THAT was/is the point. If someone applies himself to their profession, and are not committed to job hop, they have plenty of opportunities here just as well. Both to be an employee, or a business owner.

I am not saying it is easy, and I am not saying that there aren't enough idiots out there looking for an easy out, but it is NOT easy ANYWHERE, IF life was easy, it would be VERY BORING.

In Arizona, Texas, GEORGIA, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota and the list goes on and on and on.
Quote:
Where else can you live in a nearly brand new home with a yard and pool for under 200k?
Your homes up north, with the exception of the newer mac-mansions, are a JOKE! Yes, I LOVE the brick on the outside, but inside, they are all chopped up in tiny little rooms, where I can't watch my kids if I wash dishes, and have to lug my laundry 3 flights of stairs to the basement!! NO THANKS. (Builders pay attention: LAUNDRY ROOMS SHOULD BE WHERE THE BEDROOMS ARE, CAUSE THAT'S WHERE THE CLOTHES ARE! all over the US not just in FL)

I also don't spent time comparing myself with other people in other areas of the US or world...I did that once, and it was stupid. We set out standards of living for our family, what is acceptable and what isn't, and worked hard to achieve that. Once achieved, we ENJOY IT! Life is too short to spent time comparing yourself with UP North, Up West, and up the Jonse's butts!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
We don't consider our little one is stuck here. Schools are good and we supplement his studies and so far so good. There are plenty of extracurricural activities. So, not sure how your little one will be stuck growing up here. We certainly don't feel that way.
Our Florida school is VERY good. I have to say, much much better than our NY public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay