Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeterkin View Post
I really enjoyed reading this thread. Just got a pool and want to try my hand at maintaining it myself first.
Feel free to ask if you have a problem. Make sure you test every week (specially the three parameters: Ph, free chlorine and alkalinity) so that you are on top of things and everything is within recommended range. That's the key. Once you get to use to it, it takes minutes to do the test.

Enjoy your pool and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:04 PM

41 posts, read 75,959 times
Guys I have a question. My cousin has a pool; I do not. I live 5 minutes from his house. I would like to use his pool frequently (he has told me to, anytime I want) BUT his pool always has leaves, dead spiders/bees/wasps, and other crap in it. It does not have a cage and his backyard is shaded with giant live oaks. Also his pool water never smells/tastes clean. My question is, is it dangerous to swim in a pool that is not maintained properly? What are the signs of a properly maintained pool? Isn't the water SUPPOSED to look clear and smell of chlorine? His is always cloudy and never smells like chlorine.

By the way he makes a very good income but is just too damn cheap to get a pool service (which I imagine would do a better job of maintaining the pool than he does).

He is always telling me "come over and use the pool", but I am always like "no thanks". I guess it would be rude to say "no thanks, your pool is nasty".

Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhinga3 View Post
Guys I have a question. My cousin has a pool; I do not. I live 5 minutes from his house. I would like to use his pool frequently (he has told me to, anytime I want) BUT his pool always has leaves, dead spiders/bees/wasps, and other crap in it. It does not have a cage and his backyard is shaded with giant live oaks. Also his pool water never smells/tastes clean. My question is, is it dangerous to swim in a pool that is not maintained properly? What are the signs of a properly maintained pool? Isn't the water SUPPOSED to look clear and smell of chlorine? His is always cloudy and never smells like chlorine.

By the way he makes a very good income but is just too damn cheap to get a pool service (which I imagine would do a better job of maintaining the pool than he does).

He is always telling me "come over and use the pool", but I am always like "no thanks". I guess it would be rude to say "no thanks, your pool is nasty".
Cloudy water could be because of many things. Definitely, not a good sign. Checking the free chlorine level is the step on the right direction. The fact that he has all these craps in it tells me that probably his filter is full of dirt that is not cleaning the water at all. Even though I have a cage, when small stuff get in, they get sucked and captured by either the skimmer or with the filter. Cleaning the filter frequently is very important.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 AM

46 posts, read 86,595 times
I would not jump in that water any time soon friend. After discussing it with the wife, I decided to pay a company $25 a week to clean, monitor and chlorinate the pool. When winter gets here I will swap to a saltwater pool and decide then if I want to maintain it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: