Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, however once a tree reaches 60 years of age, it is significantly stronger than a new tree.

The problem with "waiting" is that many towns have strict ordinances about planting new trees and there can be problems with neighbors, etc.
Smaller trees also don't have as much of a canopy for the wind to push it around in a storm, they do much less damage than a large tree that falls, they have not had time to get diseases and I have never heard of anyone in Hernando County having a problem planting a tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Please stop building homes on former cow pastures. I went looking at rentals in Land O Lakes this week and the newer developments dont have any trees over 10ft tall. Its bad enough we're as flat as we are, we dont need our homes on a treeless prairie like we're a hotter version of Kansas. What do you all think? Am I alone in this sentiment?
Pleas won't help.

What you can do is buy 50 or 100 acres and preserve it.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 PM

552 posts, read 720,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Pleas won't help.

What you can do is buy 50 or 100 acres and preserve it.
If property taxes didnt exist Id think about it.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I recall several incidences last year during tropical storms where the ground was so saturated that the trees fell over easier from the wind - I don't think they were "diseased".

Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
If property taxes didnt exist Id think about it.
Don't be cheapo.

Property taxes for 50 acre property will only set you back by 300 or 400 dollars a year if you greenbelt it.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:00 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,031 times
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that the tree lined streets you talk about take time to develop and these communities are long term projects that must wait on nature.

The communities that were built in the 50' and 60's if you look at the development pictures they too were stripped land, they planted and the trees came over time and are now the very neighborhoods that you wish the new communities were now.

I would like to know how economically builders are supposed to build an affordable home, turn a profit and address the housing needs of the residents. Sort of unrealistic thread....

Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that the tree lined streets you talk about take time to develop and these communities are long term projects that must wait on nature.

The communities that were built in the 50' and 60's if you look at the development pictures they too were stripped land, they planted and the trees came over time and are now the very neighborhoods that you wish the new communities were now.

I would like to know how economically builders are supposed to build an affordable home, turn a profit and address the housing needs of the residents. Sort of unrealistic thread....
This is however a natural occurrence. You also have to count that not all trees will actually "catch roots". We lived in a subdivision where they planted all new trees and at least 40 of them were dead beyond revival.

If you look closer at South Tampa, it is not just the trees that makes it desirable. It is its location in respect to civilization: e.g. shopping, dining, beaches, work, highways, but also that not all homes are exactly the same. Are all people the same? While you're in Germany visit both sides, and see the difference I was talking about earlier.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,031 times
I have lived in both what was called West and East Germany and there are some distinct differences in certain occupied dated architecture but no where even in the same realm as this discussion and really don't find how it can be relevant to this thread.

With that said, sticking to America, what I was saying is that it can be seen in a lot of post ww2 to vietnam war housing expansion that the same building tactics that were used then in what many here are saying to be highly desirable areas now were viewed by many to be the eyesores the same posters here say of modern subdivisions. I guess in 30-40 years when they are building in the next unthought of band out from metro areas the same things will be said of the current eyesore as being desirable.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I guess in 30-40 years when they are building in the next unthought of band out from metro areas the same things will be said of the current eyesore as being desirable.

I have to disagree, because I don't think the "value" is there. A few trees won't make up for the fact that you're literally in the middle of nowhere.
I think people will revert back to living close to the city where they work, and this whole nonsense about "suburban" life and all will eventually disappear. You can have nice yard in the city too...Look at ST...Hopefully builders will indeed be LEED certified, and will not only build energy efficient homes, but will also use more appropriate spaces to built, because if you continue to build on pastures that is slow suicide for humans...because it leads to our air being polluted beyond repair more and more with time, and plus...how much further can you go really? are they going to build a major downtown in Brooksville? I mean Tampa's downtown will continue to evolve as a "business" center...so now you have to think about how many ppl will end up working there, and how many will favor wasting money on gas rather than on better things, and who will continue to fuel this wasteful living?

PS You do know Realtors favorite quote: "You can change the house, but you can change its location."

Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I was hoping that the OP was going to complain to developers about how close they put the houses. That's my biggest complaint about FLA communties.
That's a big problem everywhere...

We have a lot of communities going up by places like KB Homes that are scrunched together. I assume that builders are being greedy and trying to get as many houses as they can built on their land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay