Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,250 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, My husband and I are currently in the midst of relocating to FL, my new job will be in Largo, FL, and the shorter the commute for me, the happier I will be (I really hate traffic.) I need, and would appreciate, some friendly advice on where to look for a home. Just a few basic facts, this will be our first home that we will be purchasing, no kids, so school districts aren't too important yet, but if we are able to find a home in a nice school district that will be a bonus...we plan to have kids soon. I have looked into the Westchase area which I have heard have nice homes and great school districts, but the potential commute time for me is a deterrent (I have also looked into Safety Harbor, Dunedin, Clearwater, and Largo...not sure of those places?). My husband has not found employment yet, but he will be marketable as long as there is a hospital or doctor's office near by (He's a PA.) I understand that there are nice and bad parts in every city, but we would like to live in a safer area...(doesn't everyone? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
There are parts of Largo and Clearwater that are very nice. Just up the road is also Palm Harbor. There should be plenty to look at and while HWY 19 can get back at times, it keeps you closer to work.

It's not Detroit, Flint or Ann Arbor around these areas if you are looking at comparing crime and congestion. There are a few spots, but not very many.

What type of home (size/price/pool or not/garage/lot size/etc...) are you considering? Also, be careful about HOA fees, CDD fees, and the flood zone. These three together would add a significant monthly amount to any mortgage you may need.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Commuting from Westchase to Largo is not a good idea.

There are plenty of nice places all over Belcher Rd, much closer to Largo and nice. Most are not new construction, but they have been updated, and they look very nice. A lot of nice quiet streets of that road. That said, I think you should rent first, and "know" the area well before buying anything.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,250 times
Thanks Gulfer! Our price max for a home is around 200K, a pool is not necessarily a priority, however, what we would love is a community pool/clubhouse that we could use. My parents live in Wesley Chapel and they have a few different pools/clubhouses that they can use, but I'm not sure if a community like that exists near the Largo/Clearwater area? A 3-car garage is ideal, but a 2-car garage will suffice, we are still getting use to the idea of not having a basement once we move. (What do people use as storage space?) We are even considering a rent to own option or renting for a few months or however long it took to find that 'dream' home of ours like PhotoProIP suggested (Thanks PhotoProIP!) But, we would like a general idea of where to begin looking. I have found a couple of cute homes online that were built in the 20's, interior has been updated, but how is the plumbing in the old homes?

Also, you mentioned CDD, HOA, and flood zone, as far as flood zone, is it safe to assume the closer you are to the water the higher the flood zone?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
There is a website for flood areas... hard to read.. the BIG one is sinkholes, in Clearwater there are elevations up to 50 Ft above sea level, funny but true, we have mini hills- So Belcher and even Safety HArbour McMullen booth... really pretty

Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
There is a website for flood areas... hard to read.. the BIG one is sinkholes, in Clearwater there are elevations up to 50 Ft above sea level, funny but true, we have mini hills- So Belcher and even Safety HArbour McMullen booth... really pretty

My favorite "hills" are on Kloisterman...LOL

Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Personally, I would never consider living in Largo. That's just me though.

If working in Largo, I would start with Safety Harbor, then North Clearwater, then Dunedin, then Palm Harbor. But again, that's just me. My personal favorites go in the opposite order though.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
To be honest I was shocked when I visited my kids when they moved to Clermont, FL ! just likeTallahassee,,, some earth wrinkles!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnskrull View Post
Hi everyone, My husband and I are currently in the midst of relocating to FL, my new job will be in Largo, FL, and the shorter the commute for me, the happier I will be (I really hate traffic.) I need, and would appreciate, some friendly advice on where to look for a home. Just a few basic facts, this will be our first home that we will be purchasing, no kids, so school districts aren't too important yet, but if we are able to find a home in a nice school district that will be a bonus...we plan to have kids soon. I have looked into the Westchase area which I have heard have nice homes and great school districts, but the potential commute time for me is a deterrent (I have also looked into Safety Harbor, Dunedin, Clearwater, and Largo...not sure of those places?). My husband has not found employment yet, but he will be marketable as long as there is a hospital or doctor's office near by (He's a PA.) I understand that there are nice and bad parts in every city, but we would like to live in a safer area...(doesn't everyone? )
Feather Sound

Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
Ifyou want a communitywith a clubhouse and pool, look at Seminole, close commute to Largo, in fact next door. Mostly out of flood zone and by beaches. There is a subdivision in Seminole that is really nice with its own clubhouse and boat docks, it has nice homes that will be in your price range. There is a golf course right close by too. Low crime, safe neighborhoods. the Club house is not as modern as other newer subdivisions built in last few years, but still nice. Largo has some nice areas, like Clearwater its pretty large and the area that is south of Walsingham, which most people who don't know Largo think is Seminole, is really popular and in a good school zone too. Its mid county, and at the end of the 3 main east west roads across the county to I-275.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay