Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,667 times

Advertisements

We just returned from the Westin. It was AMAZING and a great location. We drove all over - Clearwater, Trinity, all the way over to Zephryhills, and then down over to St. Pete and all over South Tampa, Brandon & Valrico.

Wonderful hotel, central location as far as we were concerned. Had a nice little beach there with jet skis, and it also had a free shuttle to all of the local restaurants and the malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 04:55 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
I stayed at the Hyatt Regency on CLW Beach recently. It was very nice; the room was spotless, the shower was a huge walk in, real fridge and kitchenette, dining area, balcony overlooking the beach and pool, A/C worked really well, dining room table, couch, fast wifi. Downsides are:

1) $18+/day to park your own car
2) They charge a 'resort fee' of $25/day even if you're a hyatt gold member; i.e. your membership means nothing. It's particularly insulting if you're a Hyatt Gold Platinum (as dumb as that sounds) member where your Platinum status would normally get you free internet and newspaper at a Hyatt Regency. At this one, the $25/day is to provide the guests with free internet, newspaper and two bottles of water per day. I said well I already get all but the two bottles of water so I'd like the fee waived since it seems rather asinine to charge me $25/day for two bottles of water I could get at 7-11 in a 24-pack for $4. No go; still charged me.
3) Any beverage that contains alcohol you should expect to pay at least $10 for, perhaps $8 if it's a draft beer and you're lucky. Make the mistake of ordering a top shelf of any sort and the bill is going to look more like $20. $8 cigars are closer to $28.
4) Food = $$$$

All in all we had a good time, and you can't beat the room/location since most of the other beachfront hotels all the way down to St Pete are mostly dumps, so it's nice for a romantic getaway but all the nickel and dimeing they do really leaves a lasting negative feeling with me and I doubt we'll go back. Oh, they did say the resort fee is waived if you pay via Hyatt points, so at least there's that.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
I spent most of my time during my visit to Tampa last month on the Northern side of Tampa Bay but I stayed in Clearwater, well Sand Key. I can recommend the Sheraton Sand Key Resort. I did not eat anything because I was away from the hotel a lot but I did use the pool which was very nice and I swam in the Gulf where the hotel fronts the sand and enjoyed it as well. I used there gym which was VERY nice and was on the top floor with lots of glass so very nice scenery while working out. Parking was plentiful and including in the rate.

It was very close to the Clearwater strip (over a small bridge). Traffic from Clearwater to North Tampa bay during the week during working hours wasnt bad at all and wouldnt prevent me from staying there again. I am returning next month but will be staying in downtown Tampa this time around.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Wow, I can not believe no one has mentioned the TradeWinds Beach Resort. Great location with lots to do and see. You can get lost for days just inside the complex. Over the years the Tradewinds has bought hotels that are next to it and added them to there grounds. Endless activities for the kids and adults. You can park your car and not use it for a week. So much is in walking distance. We spend time their every year and the kids will talk about it for weeks after coming home.

St Pete Beach Hotels - Tradewinds - Vacation Resorts Tampa Florida

Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I stayed at the Hyatt Regency on CLW Beach recently. It was very nice; the room was spotless, the shower was a huge walk in, real fridge and kitchenette, dining area, balcony overlooking the beach and pool, A/C worked really well, dining room table, couch, fast wifi. Downsides are:

1) $18+/day to park your own car
2) They charge a 'resort fee' of $25/day even if you're a hyatt gold member; i.e. your membership means nothing. It's particularly insulting if you're a Hyatt Gold Platinum (as dumb as that sounds) member where your Platinum status would normally get you free internet and newspaper at a Hyatt Regency. At this one, the $25/day is to provide the guests with free internet, newspaper and two bottles of water per day. I said well I already get all but the two bottles of water so I'd like the fee waived since it seems rather asinine to charge me $25/day for two bottles of water I could get at 7-11 in a 24-pack for $4. No go; still charged me.
3) Any beverage that contains alcohol you should expect to pay at least $10 for, perhaps $8 if it's a draft beer and you're lucky. Make the mistake of ordering a top shelf of any sort and the bill is going to look more like $20. $8 cigars are closer to $28.
4) Food = $$$$

All in all we had a good time, and you can't beat the room/location since most of the other beachfront hotels all the way down to St Pete are mostly dumps, so it's nice for a romantic getaway but all the nickel and dimeing they do really leaves a lasting negative feeling with me and I doubt we'll go back. Oh, they did say the resort fee is waived if you pay via Hyatt points, so at least there's that.
More fool you for being suckered into paying all those excess fees.
I would never ever stay anywhere that proposed to charge me for facilities I don't intend to use -you might as well go into the street and give 25 bucks to the first person you see.
And why stay in suite with a dining area,real fridge and kitchenette and then complain about the price of food in the restaurant ?
And $20 for a top shelf drink ?
Man, you must love being fleeced.
And most of the other beachfront hotels down to St Pete Beach are dumps ?
There really is one born every minute.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy4u View Post
Decided to bump this back up. Thanks to all the advice here - we decided to stay in the Clearwater area when we fly down in December. Even though we are looking for homes in Wesley Chapel, we have no problem driving the hr or so each day back and forth. Mostly because our "vacation" is part play and part business.

With that said, I'd LOVE to stay at the Sand Pearl - but I can't afford that.

So we were looking at other hotels. We found a few on Redington Beach. Is that still part of Clearwater? And pros/cons staying there than Clearwater itself? Of course, if the area is considered sketchy, then we'll pinpoint our hotel search back to Clearwater. Really want a hotel on the beach. Found the Doubletree in Redington for $170 per night, which looks nice. But just looking for some advice on the area and/or other hotels under the $170 mark. Seems that the Doubletree seems like a good deal, considering that's on the beach, with a balcony facing the gulf.

Thanks again everyone
That hotel is in North Redington Beach which is lovely. It's about 10 miles south of Clearwater beach. It's a little gem of a hotel with a great vibe. It's pretty laid back - it's not flashy at all but the gulf front rooms can't be beat. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
More fool you for being suckered into paying all those excess fees.
I would never ever stay anywhere that proposed to charge me for facilities I don't intend to use -you might as well go into the street and give 25 bucks to the first person you see.
And why stay in suite with a dining area,real fridge and kitchenette and then complain about the price of food in the restaurant ?
And $20 for a top shelf drink ?
Man, you must love being fleeced.
And most of the other beachfront hotels down to St Pete Beach are dumps ?
There really is one born every minute.
I'm not quite sure on how I was suckered? The online booking did not mention the resort fee; they hit you with it when you check in. So my choice at that time, when they declined to waive it, and the Hyatt Gold member customer service said they could do nothing about it because it was the choice of the property owner, would be to either pay it, or walk out and let them charge me for a one night non-refundable. Perhaps you are one of those people who will make a fool of themselves in the lobby until they waive it just to make you be quiet but I simply ask nicely and if they don't accommodate, I hold it against them when considering a return visit.

I stayed in a suite because I wanted a high level beach view; they are all suites on those floors with beach views. Just because I choose a nice room does not mean I want to eat all of my meals in a hotel room to save money; if that was the case I wouldn't have been staying there to begin with. I wanted to take my wife to a very nice restaurant at the hotel; I did not want to pay Berns Steakhouse prices for Outback quality.

Same goes for the bar; you go to a resort so you don't have to leave the property. Once I realized what they charge for drinks, we did leave to the Pier 60 Hotel rooftop bar instead.

Regarding the St Pete Beach hotels; other than *some* of the Tradewinds rooms, with a two night minimum, and rates higher than the Hyatt for a lesser room, which ones would you consider 'high end'? I don't count the Don since staying in an 80 year old room with noise, drafts and a 2" gap under the door to the hallway is not my thing. Some people might like the history, I don't.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Wow, I can not believe no one has mentioned the TradeWinds Beach Resort. Great location with lots to do and see. You can get lost for days just inside the complex. Over the years the Tradewinds has bought hotels that are next to it and added them to there grounds. Endless activities for the kids and adults. You can park your car and not use it for a week. So much is in walking distance. We spend time their every year and the kids will talk about it for weeks after coming home.

St Pete Beach Hotels - Tradewinds - Vacation Resorts Tampa Florida
We stayed there for one night and came away with a totally different perspective. The only thing the resort excelled at was being horrendous.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I'm not quite sure on how I was suckered? The online booking did not mention the resort fee; they hit you with it when you check in. So my choice at that time, when they declined to waive it, and the Hyatt Gold member customer service said they could do nothing about it because it was the choice of the property owner, would be to either pay it, or walk out and let them charge me for a one night non-refundable. Perhaps you are one of those people who will make a fool of themselves in the lobby until they waive it just to make you be quiet but I simply ask nicely and if they don't accommodate, I hold it against them when considering a return visit.

I stayed in a suite because I wanted a high level beach view; they are all suites on those floors with beach views. Just because I choose a nice room does not mean I want to eat all of my meals in a hotel room to save money; if that was the case I wouldn't have been staying there to begin with. I wanted to take my wife to a very nice restaurant at the hotel; I did not want to pay Berns Steakhouse prices for Outback quality.

Same goes for the bar; you go to a resort so you don't have to leave the property. Once I realized what they charge for drinks, we did leave to the Pier 60 Hotel rooftop bar instead.

Regarding the St Pete Beach hotels; other than *some* of the Tradewinds rooms, with a two night minimum, and rates higher than the Hyatt for a lesser room, which ones would you consider 'high end'? I don't count the Don since staying in an 80 year old room with noise, drafts and a 2" gap under the door to the hallway is not my thing. Some people might like the history, I don't.
I'm not sure why you're expecting sympathy by saying you wish to stay at " high end " resorts only but then complain about the prices you have to pay for food and beverage.
And yes, if a resort fee is not mentioned at the time of booking but added later I am one of those people who would complain loudly about it.
It's because people don't like making a fuss that these sort of places get away with stiffing their customers.
The great attraction for many people of this part of the Gulf Coast is that it isn't lined with " high end " resorts but instead has an older feel about it.
They're not dumps, as you think, but places with some character where people prefer to eat out at a good local restaurant or hang around a bar in shorts and t-shirts.
Sounds to me like you'd be better off in Miami Beach.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Wasn't expecting sympathy; I was trying to caution people about some possibly unexpected expenses they may encounter should they choose the Hyatt. We live here, we can go to the beach bars in shorts and t-shirts any weekend of the year, and often do; but sometimes when you want to have a romantic weekend with your wife, you look for something a little bit more. Perhaps you consider staying at the Beach Comber and getting drunk at Jimmy B's to be a romantic weekend, I don't.

I've stayed in nearly all the hotels on St Pete Beach; they're dumps. The rooms are typically worn out and dirty, they're very noisy and if not for the fact that they were located on an incredible beach, you'd be hard pressed to differentiate them from an interstate Motel 6. If they were all as nice as you say, developers would be clamoring to build more there; instead, we have 40 year old run down buildings with owners who have no plans to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay