Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
A lot of the wealthy get their income from capital gains which is taxed at a different rate because its investment income. So people like to use that interchangeable with an income tax to confuse people.
Capital gains is just a subset. It's another "loophole," and anyone who invests can participate in that loophole. If you have accumulated enough wealth, depending on if/how you've invested it, it is possible that the capital gains "loophole" with respect to a majority or all of your income, lowering your overall income tax rate. But prohibiting a wealthy person from using a "loophole" that's available to everyone doesn't seem "fair" to me at all. Meanwhile, the reason the capital gains tax is lower is because the government has decided it wants people to invest. But any scheme that taxes on the basis of income is going to lead to "unfair" and counterproductive results.

One exception on capital gains is people who invest for a living and structure their enterprises in order to treat what you and I would call wages/salary/commission as capital gains. That strikes me as gaming the system much more than participating in tax-incentivized behavior. But that is a separate (and small) issue that can be dealt with separately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Capital gains is just a subset. It's another "loophole," and anyone who invests can participate in that loophole.
The lower long-term capital gains rate isn't a loophole. It's an imperfect adjustment to account for the fact that asset basis is not indexed to inflation. The right thing to do would be to inflation-index basis and tax gains at standard income-tax rates. I have no doubt somebody would then complain that inflation-indexing was a loophole.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
This cut and paste from Wikipedia

Some critics of the Pulitzer Prize have accused the organization of favoring those who support liberal causes or oppose conservative causes. Syndicated columnist L. Brent Bozell said that the Pulitzer Prize has a "liberal legacy", particularly in its prize for commentary.[SIZE=2][18][/SIZE] He pointed to a 31-year period in which only five conservatives won prizes for commentary. The claim is also supported by a statement from the 2010 Pulitzer Prize winner for commentary,Kathleen Parker: "It's only because I'm a conservative basher that I'm now recognized."[SIZE=2][19][/SIZE]
"Some critics (re sore losers) blah blah blah".

Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
The lower long-term capital gains rate isn't a loophole. It's an imperfect adjustment to account for the fact that asset basis is not indexed to inflation. The right thing to do would be to inflation-index basis and tax gains at standard income-tax rates. I have no doubt somebody would then complain that inflation-indexing was a loophole.
I did not mean to use the term "loophole" in any technical sense, hence the quotation marks. Apologies for any confusion. No doubt any inflation-indexing would be cast as a despicable loophole by certain groups.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My position is more of that % of of folks not abiding by the laws that are in place already, and avoidance of paying thier dues. It is not prudent to go into detail on a public blog, but let's just say I have job security because of them.
so we should just keep sticking it to the rich because some don't pay all they should. You never did tell me whats fair. What percent of the tax burden should those top 5% pay??

Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I already stated they should pay whatever the law states- I am not a tax person, nor an economist- but what ever is due you--PAY it! That is what is FAIR. That to me is what makes an American, be true and honest in your dealings, business or otherwise as it affects us all. Say you make a million- good for you and say pay 20% tax, would you not want the guy who made his $5 million to pay as well? what are you not getting here?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
This thread really got off topic. Decent PRO-point of view article in support of mass transit in case you missed it.

Lagging on mass transit, Tampa Bay tries to get its act together again | Tampa Bay Times

Old 08-01-2013, 03:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Capital gains is just a subset. It's another "loophole," and anyone who invests can participate in that loophole. If you have accumulated enough wealth, depending on if/how you've invested it, it is possible that the capital gains "loophole" with respect to a majority or all of your income, lowering your overall income tax rate. But prohibiting a wealthy person from using a "loophole" that's available to everyone doesn't seem "fair" to me at all. Meanwhile, the reason the capital gains tax is lower is because the government has decided it wants people to invest. But any scheme that taxes on the basis of income is going to lead to "unfair" and counterproductive results.

One exception on capital gains is people who invest for a living and structure their enterprises in order to treat what you and I would call wages/salary/commission as capital gains. That strikes me as gaming the system much more than participating in tax-incentivized behavior. But that is a separate (and small) issue that can be dealt with separately.
Keep in mind that the capital gains tax is still higher than the "effective" federal income tax rate people pay. So someone getting most of their income from investments pay around 15% net taxes, but even though income tax RATES may be 28% on the working class, the net taxes they should pay is closer to 10%. If they are paying more than the person paying capital gains taxes, then either they are doing their taxes wrong or need a different accountant.

Bottom line is that with rare rare exceptions, the rich pay more as a percentage and more in dollars than does anybody else. The class warfare needs to stop. And this comes from someone who is about to lose all his income he once made, which wasn't a lot to begin with. My income situation is not the fault of the rich guy who paid more anyhow.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This thread really got off topic. Decent PRO-point of view article in support of mass transit in case you missed it.

Lagging on mass transit, Tampa Bay tries to get its act together again | Tampa Bay Times
YES and the transit thing is tied to those what would use it,,, the working man/woman, student etc and and certain other folks do not feel compelled to pay a cent more for another man's ride. Is that not bottom line?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
I am in Portland for a business and I love this place with its light rail and fantastic weather. 2hrs for $2.50, which basically connects you many places and you can carry bike on it as I see some do?--wow!

Just loving it

Talk about progressive area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay