Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM

22 posts, read 25,762 times

Advertisements

My husbands job is relocating us to the Tampa Bay area from Michigan. We know very little about the area. I am a nurse and hoping to find a job close to the area we will live. Our plan is to rent for a year until buying. I have been looking at New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Land O Lakes...in a community that would offer us good amenities for our two kids. Are these areas a far commute from Tampa? For example, I was looking at Tampa General for employement as it seems similar to the hoapital I'm currently at. How safe is the area? How are the schools? Moving with kids, where would you suggest us to look? I'm really excited to leave Michigan but feel kind of lost! Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Tampa General would be quite a daily commute.

Where is your husband's job going to be located?

What type of nursing do you specialize in?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:44 AM

@BucFan, My husbands job is located in Tampa off Fletcher..? Again, i don't know if that's really vague or not but we don't know the area at all! I specialize in Surgical ICU and Trauma nursing and have worked oncology and medical ICU for a while as well.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 PM

There are a couple of hospitals near USF (off Fletcher). The drive from Wesley Chapel would be more manageable. The large VA hospital is also in the area of USF (Haley), but working in a VA hospital isn't for everyone. USF has several large centers and the Moffitt Cancer Center is one of the better facilities in the area (located adjacent to USF/Fletcher).

Other areas to look at Lutz/Cheval for an area to live. Good idea to rent for a year or so get get the lay of the land. There are several threads concerning the areas that you listed in your first post. You might search this forum for previous posts on New Tampa, Wesley Chapel. There are several helpful real estate agents on this message board that can assist w/ a chime in. Sounds like with your skills, you can practically work wherever you really want - there are several community hospitals in the area scattered throughout the area as you probably were aware of. Good luck with the move.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks! I will definitely look into the other posts as well as some of those hospitals! Thanks for the info!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
NurseAng - I grew up in the Upper Peninsula! Have been gone for a long time, but enjoyed a couple months back there this year.

We live in Land O Lakes as it is very green and has a rural feel. Bucs fan hit all the hospitals, but you can drive down almost any main road and see multiple Urgent Care Centers, Doctors Office's, etc... One thing we have is a lot of places to take care of you!

I also echo the New Tampa area (33647 zip code). Lutz (Northern), Odessa, Land O Lakes, Wesley Chapel, and Trinity sit up here North of the City. Wife works down past Fowler (just past Fletcher) by Bruce B Downs (really close to the University of South Florida) and as mentioned I live in Land O Lakes. She takes Livingston to Bearss to Bruce B Downs to Fowler and is at work in about 25 minutes. When she has to leave early (get there by 0630) you cut almost 10 mins. off the trip.

If your work schedule (or hubby's) is flexible and goes around peak traffic times, easy commute from Wesley Chapel and New Tampa (less than 20 mins) on I-75/I-275 or Bruce B Downs.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM

@Golfer, I find a lot of MI people are relocating to FL! The UP is beautiful, did you find it to be a difficult move coming from the north? I am really over the snow and cold and have wanted to do this move for a few years! I think right now, our concentration is land o lakes and Wesley chapel, as seems like it would be a good fit for us. Do you and your wife have kids? Schools seem about average there, but i have heard horror stories about Florida schools compared to other states. I find it hard to believe that to be true but maybe you or someone else has some insight. I feel you get what you put into the school systems no matter where you are! You both have been really helpful! We are planning a visit in the next month to see some houses and hopefully will be relocated in a few months!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
there is a brand new hospital in trinity,,, also think off northdale as well- north dale mabry and vandyke?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM

@tiny, is ithe medical center of trinity? I was just looking at their website, looks like they have a lot of avail jobs. thanks! Although, coming from michigan where even healthcare jobs are hard to come by, florida has a ton! Thank God!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM

St Josephs is building a new facility to be open in 2015, I believe here in S. Hillsborough. Smaller community-sized hospital.

Construction of St. Joseph's Hospital South on track | Breaking Tampa Bay, Florida and national news and weather from Tampa Bay Online and The Tampa Tribune | TBO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay