Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 12,483 times

Advertisements

Good evening!

I have accepted a tentative offer for a position at MacDill. I will be relocating my family from Ohio and I am in need of some detailed information if possible. I have 3 kids (boys ages 8 and 6, and a 2yr old girl) and finding a diverse A-rated school district is priority number 1. I am not opposed to a longer commute so long as my kids have access to excellent education as that is our main priority. We currently pay for private school now, and I would love to avoid this expense if at all possible. We plan on renting until we figure out the best place to grow our roots as a family.

My other concern is diversity. We are a black family used to living in suburban, upscale, and accepting neighborhoods, so I am interested in honest feedback in regards to neighborhoods to look into and those we should stay away from that may not be as accepting as others (heard rumors that some places are not too kind to black people). The "Travon Martin" case has scared me as a parent of boys of color and this relocation to Florida...but, I believe in my heart that wasn't the norm. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone, but I honestly do not want any unnecessary pressures for my boys (thank you in advance for those providing honest feedback).

I appreciate any information and feedback. As a summary, looking for information on diverse suburban areas with A-rated schools near or within an hour commute to MacDill AFB. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Here they don't look at the skin, more the wallet, the base is huge and being FL people from all over live here. The folks keep to self, is the ONLY thing I find different here, but maybe it is the same in OH? Some other threads can tell you about schools, mostly in Trinity- New Tampa and Land O Lakes- traffic times all 1 hr from base. Good luck

Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 AM

Thank you tinytrump for responding! I heard of Lutz as a great neighborhood as well, would you agree?

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Lutz will be a relatively long commute. Might look at Westchase (near TIA) or Feathersound (Clearwater). Also Valrico (River Hills) has a lot of the higher ranking military from MacDill. A little commute, but the Selmon Expressway makes the commute quicker - also MacDill has a commuter bus to that area. Can't speak for the schools, though. There are plenty of threads addressing MacDill (using search function) that you might be able to have some of your quesitons answered.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks BucFan!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDillbound View Post
Good evening!

I have accepted a tentative offer for a position at MacDill. I will be relocating my family from Ohio and I am in need of some detailed information if possible. I have 3 kids (boys ages 8 and 6, and a 2yr old girl) and finding a diverse A-rated school district is priority number 1. I am not opposed to a longer commute so long as my kids have access to excellent education as that is our main priority. We currently pay for private school now, and I would love to avoid this expense if at all possible. We plan on renting until we figure out the best place to grow our roots as a family.

My other concern is diversity. We are a black family used to living in suburban, upscale, and accepting neighborhoods, so I am interested in honest feedback in regards to neighborhoods to look into and those we should stay away from that may not be as accepting as others (heard rumors that some places are not too kind to black people). The "Travon Martin" case has scared me as a parent of boys of color and this relocation to Florida...but, I believe in my heart that wasn't the norm. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone, but I honestly do not want any unnecessary pressures for my boys (thank you in advance for those providing honest feedback).

I appreciate any information and feedback. As a summary, looking for information on diverse suburban areas with A-rated schools near or within an hour commute to MacDill AFB. Thank you!
First off, I would not worry about the Trayvon Martin thing, as it was clearly proven it had absolutely nothing to do with him being black. Just two unfortunate souls who met at the wrong time.

Second, the best schools can be a subjective thing in some people's mind. We live in Palm Harbor which is within the distance you said you wanted and it has excellent schools. Some of the best in the area. It is not very diverse here, but I do not see any problems with that. There are some black families living in our neighborhood and there are no problem at all for them. A great friend of mine had lived here, and she is black, and she loved it and never had an issue. People are people, no matter the color of their skin or their ethnic heritage. Live life here and be happy. Just be prepared for nutbag drivers. They are awful here.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
You may also look at the Riverview area, specifically out by Fishhawk Ranch. I know some MacDill people live out that way.

I'm a 26+ year Navy Vet. I wasn't even going to respond the way the discussion was written. I read it when only two others had, and decided to pass before I got angry. Thanks Prius, if you wouldn't have brought it up, I probably wouldn't have posted.

Martin and Zimmerman IS NOT not a Florida thing. I have lived in Florida for over 6 years now and feel a lot more comfortable walking around here than I do parts of Toledo, Columbus, or Cleveland. Bad people live all over, hopefully you will be able to steer clear of them.

Good thing your job didn't move you to Chicago! We are a Melting Pot of people in Florida (really more so here in Tampa), it is one of our best qualities.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
Also, you can check militaryforsalebyowner.com for homes to buy or rent from military people here in the area. It gives you a good idea of where people that work on the base live.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDillbound View Post
Good evening!
finding a diverse A-rated school district is priority number 1.
There aren't any in the Tampa Bay area. The A-rated schools are not diverse.

Quote:
The "Travon Martin" case has scared me as a parent of boys of color and this relocation to Florida...but, I believe in my heart that wasn't the norm.
This mostly depends on what type of neighborhood you choose. If you move to a Tampa Bay neighborhood with highly rated schools like South Tampa or Palm Harbor, there won't be rampant home break-ins like Zimmerman's neighborhood in Sanford and you won't find teenagers just wandering around getting high in public and assaulting people for looking at them. You would have to worry about this more in some of the lower class neighborhoods.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 AM

451 posts, read 934,167 times
Welcome! Have you considered South Tampa at all? It is directly proximal to MacDill, features the top-rated school system in the region, a low crime rate and one of the highest standards of living in the bay (walkability, shopping, restaurants, close to downtown/airport). The downside is the price, in that you'll get a smaller home for a higher price than you would elsewhere.

If you don't mind a smaller 3-bedroom rental home or a townhome, and you don't mind paying between $1750 and $2000, you could expect comfortable living in the area. In terms of proximity to MacDill, the ratings of the local school district, entertainment amenities and safe living, it really can't be beat in the bay area.

(note that there are pockets of South Tampa that are less desirable and more prone to crime, but a drive around town should give you solid bearings on where to rent and where to avoid. If possible, try to stay south of Kennedy and north of Gandy)

Also, a family of color should feel safe and welcome here. The area is predominantly white, but it should feel quite similar to the upscale and accepting neighborhoods you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay