Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM

252 posts, read 710,350 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been researching the St Pete area and noticed that home (condo's, single family or trailers) tax rates seem to roller-coaster all over the place annually.
Can a "local" explain why?
I view this as a city that cannot balance an annual budget. I'm cynical since I currently live outside of Memphis and they cannot balance a penny on the sidewalk.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
It's a nice area, the entire Gulf Coast. I don't know how other's find it, but when I have visited the St Pete and areas surrounding it. I was surprised just how crowded and congested it really is. Other than that it seems nice.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
My wife and I have been researching the St Pete area and noticed that home (condo's, single family or trailers) tax rates seem to roller-coaster all over the place annually.
Can a "local" explain why?
I view this as a city that cannot balance an annual budget. I'm cynical since I currently live outside of Memphis and they cannot balance a penny on the sidewalk.

Thanks
Many are under a program known as Homestead Exemption which lowers property taxes significantly and was initiated in favor of those who live full time in their residence versus using it as a second home (seasonally). The revaluation process of each individual property in terms of tax value doesn't occur until a home has been placed on the market then subsequently sold, and many lower tax rates seen are also attributed to long time residents who see only incremental increases while living there. Sorry to burst the cynical bubble.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:12 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,823,938 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-01-2014 at 06:28 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 10,582 times
Can anyone say what the distance is from Brandon to St Pete. Also is Brandon a nice area to retire?
Appreciate all replies.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:18 AM

239 posts, read 326,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's nice to see a positive writeup. The whole Gulf coast from St. Pete down through Naples is a great place to retire, depending on what one wants. Each city has it's own vibe. I like St. Pete, but happy where we are in Sarasota/Bradenton.
I might kinda be seeing that now actually. As much as St Pete may want to shed its "Gods waiting room" reputation and it seems to be getting younger, but why does it still feel like a retirement area? For a young guy who needs a job it may not be so great after all. Or at least I know I am not ready to retire mentally and I want to meet people. St Pete I am starting to think either brings in young folks who are trust funders or retired people and usually they seem all in their little world. Or now it will be bringing in outsiders trying to gentrify it. But this is why I signed a 6 month lease too. I was uncertain I wanted to commit to my neighborhood for longer so, it could all work out too if I find another area to go.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 AM

676 posts, read 1,272,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireb52 View Post
Can anyone say what the distance is from Brandon to St Pete. Also is Brandon a nice area to retire?
Appreciate all replies.
To me, Brandon is more commercial than residential. In my opinion, Brandon is not a good place to retire. We are retired and live on the coast in Apollo Beach:

MiraBay by Newland Communities | Waterfront Community | Tampa | New Homes

Brandon is about 35 miles from St. Pete.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
I might kinda be seeing that now actually. As much as St Pete may want to shed its "Gods waiting room" reputation and it seems to be getting younger, but why does it still feel like a retirement area? For a young guy who needs a job it may not be so great after all. Or at least I know I am not ready to retire mentally and I want to meet people. St Pete I am starting to think either brings in young folks who are trust funders or retired people and usually they seem all in their little world. Or now it will be bringing in outsiders trying to gentrify it. But this is why I signed a 6 month lease too. I was uncertain I wanted to commit to my neighborhood for longer so, it could all work out too if I find another area to go.
I don't see it as 'older'. Are you very young or ? Tons of craft beer, bars, restaurants, outdoor venues. Seems really young to me (sp). What am I missing?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
oh I saw a diff write up but they will say anything on paper... I like St Pete, don't get me wrong, but the " retirement crowd has to SHARE a bit to a upcoming younger crowd for the area to survive.
Yea I did a little eye opening recently and started wondering if I picked the right city for jobs or not or if St Pete is a place where you can find sustainable work. It doesn't look like it is and Pinellas county/St Pete seems to lack a lot of services. It felt like when I lived in Bradenton I even got more there and the schools are better around there too. More distribution centers and places where you can get on and start work sooner and career counseling so if these are musts for you, I would personally stay away from St Pete. It attracts older retirees and if young people are coming, they're also retiring kinda like the expression goes for Portlandia.. Portland, where young people go to retire. The same thing seems to be happening in St Pete too. Young people who live in St Pete overall it seems don't have as much a work ethic. And this isn't even talking about natives of the area, the newbies so many I am guessing are probably coming here with trust funds.

St Pete is great to visit and go the beaches, anything else I will more than likely have to look elsewhere for to get my day to day absolute necessities other than food which St Pete does have plenty of.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
To me, Brandon is more commercial than residential. In my opinion, Brandon is not a good place to retire. We are retired and live on the coast in Apollo Beach:

MiraBay by Newland Communities | Waterfront Community | Tampa | New Homes

Brandon is about 35 miles from St. Pete.
Bingo! That's why I mentioned why maybe I want to move to Brandon. If its the opposite of St Pete job wise, that can only be a good thing. The less geared toward retiring a place is, the better it is for me because I got news for you, I can't live like a damn retiree at 34 yrs old! I am in limbo between retired life and working it seems. Imagine being 34 and feeling like a retiree?? And St Pete will do it to you more too. .don't believe me, just come here with enough money saved up and don't find a job for awhile. You will feel like a retiree real fast here, only difference is you didn't feel like you earned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay