Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by north_pinellas_guy View Post
bye bye rays. Stupid move by the city council.

BTW, I'm surprised you northerners are so gung-ho about getting rid of the Rays - it's the only chance for you to see your favorite teams from the north or wherever the hell you came from before coming to paradise. Had you adopted the Rays since this is your new hometown, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Thanks for nothing-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

BTW, I'm surprised you northerners are so gung-ho about getting rid of the Rays - it's the only chance for you to see your favorite teams from the north or wherever the hell you came from before coming to paradise. Had you adopted the Rays since this is your new hometown, we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

Thanks for nothing-
Please reread my post. I said it was a stupid move by the city council. IOW - I do not want them to go.

BTW - 2027 means nothing, if they and the league want them to leave.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:

Thanks for nothing-
That's ok my team has spring training in Lakeland I can watch them there and on tv.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:12 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:

Thanks for nothing-
Did they do a study here before they had a team here to see if there was a fan base to support a MLB team. Or did they think and hope that a baseball team would catch on here. Most will never give up there home team that they grew up with. Some have been loyal to their tean for over 50 yrs. tell a Yankee or Detroit or Boston fan to support another team. See what they say.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 AM

434 posts, read 530,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Did they do a study here before they had a team here to see if there was a fan base to support a MLB team. Or did they think and hope that a baseball team would catch on here.
The old studies said the same thing the new studies say. MLB works in this region in Tampa, not so much in St Pete.

But St Pete/Pinellas pols of the day refused to believe cold, hard statistical reality, viewed the reports as a personal affront on their misplaced pride, and built the stadium on their own, without a vote, and against the wishes of MLB. This is part of why Tampa was not awarded an expansion team the first go around, because MLB didn't like the location or the stadium.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:49 PM

298 posts, read 299,478 times
It would be interesting to see the team sold and relocated to Orlando. Same Florida problems will remain but a small built-in fan base is already present, some (not many) fans from the Tampa Bay area will still stick with the team, the east coast would be opened up, Lakeland, Ocala, and Gainesville won't care either way, and 50 million tourists/business travellers will fill in the rest. Jeter's looking to buy a team. Tampa would have been ideal but Orlando is only 90 minutes away from him.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I can see the team moveing soon maybe to Montreal. MLB is tired of supporting them.
If MLB wants to relocated the team away from the 3rd most populated state in the country - a state where baby boomers flock to once retired - and that group will be growing exponentially in the coming years - good for them. But I believe moving to a Canadian city where baseball has already failed and away from a populated state is pretty bad business practice. Good luck w/ that.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:05 AM

Rays sign two-time all-star free agent....

Rays sign Asdrubal Cabrera | HardballTalk

Old 12-30-2014, 06:15 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
Quote:
Did they do a study here before they had a team here to see if there was a fan base to support a MLB team. Or did they think and hope that a baseball team would catch on here. Most will never give up there home team that they grew up with. Some have been loyal to their tean for over 50 yrs. tell a Yankee or Detroit or Boston fan to support another team. See what they say.
That is where the problem lies, though...the Rays aren't even old enough to where kids who grew up as Rays fans have kids (which turn into Rays fans, and so on).

A local following has to be created. To hell with the New York and Boston fans who attend to see "their team" from back home...and for most of them, the only Rays game they will attend each season. We need local fans who support the Rays.

One way to expedite the situation is to remain attractive to YOUNG PROFESSIONALS and the area hasn't done the best job of that from what I can see. They need to stop caring about what the old geezers who retired from up North think and get progressive and do what the real spenders (30-50 year olds) and income makers want. This area needs to stop being okay with surviving on a population of retirement/medicare income. Invest in downtown cores with attractive but affordable living, attract major companies, and by all means improve the damned transportation system in Tampa Bay!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:16 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
Quote:
Rays sign two-time all-star free agent....

Rays sign Asdrubal Cabrera | HardballTalk
Great pickup but I hope not at the expense of a Zobrist. Zo is getting up there in age, but he is about as consistent as you can ask for in a MLB player...on both sides of the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay