Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 PM

63 posts, read 74,456 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Does anyone have any knowlegede of the condos/apartments in Yorktown at Beacon Place (this is how the property is described in the listing)? We are looking to purchase in the area and came across this listing. Any advice or knowledge would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
It's an excellent area, very safe with good schools and convenient to shopping/restaurants as well as recreation with nearby trails for running/biking/walking in Philippe Park. It's a late-80s build complex which wasn't the best time for construction quality in Florida so would do a little investigating of that, as well as percentage of rental units versus owner-occupied and the status of their reserve fund, as well as any assessments current or pending. A seemingly low monthly condo fee can multiply if a major repair such as roofs or central air comes into play and the reserve fund can't handle it, meaning an assessment above and beyond charged to each unit owner to cover the cost which can amount to hundreds of dollars extra per month. Given the cost of the units there along with the great location, I would wonder if something like that isn't going on which seriously affects marketability and sale price. I would make sure you're working with a real estate agent who knows the condo market well and be sure to obtain the "condo documents" which includes reserve fund information as well as assessments or pending assessments. Even if none are pending, bear in mind 30 year old roofs or 20 year old HVAC systems are due for replacement soon which should be factored into your decision, especially if the reserve fund is weak. Information on when those things were last replaced will be in the condo documents.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's an excellent area, very safe with good schools and convenient to shopping/restaurants as well as recreation with nearby trails for running/biking/walking in Philippe Park. It's a late-80s build complex which wasn't the best time for construction quality in Florida so would do a little investigating of that, as well as percentage of rental units versus owner-occupied and the status of their reserve fund, as well as any assessments current or pending. A seemingly low monthly condo fee can multiply if a major repair such as roofs or central air comes into play and the reserve fund can't handle it, meaning an assessment above and beyond charged to each unit owner to cover the cost which can amount to hundreds of dollars extra per month. Given the cost of the units there along with the great location, I would wonder if something like that isn't going on which seriously affects marketability and sale price. I would make sure you're working with a real estate agent who knows the condo market well and be sure to obtain the "condo documents" which includes reserve fund information as well as assessments or pending assessments. Even if none are pending, bear in mind 30 year old roofs or 20 year old HVAC systems are due for replacement soon which should be factored into your decision, especially if the reserve fund is weak. Information on when those things were last replaced will be in the condo documents.
Thank you very much for the great advice and info. I will be sure to check into all you mentioned!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishes540 View Post
Thank you very much for the great advice and info. I will be sure to check into all you mentioned!
Your welcome! I see from your profile that you're from Seymour, Indiana. My Mom's side of the family is from Linton which is just west of you.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Your welcome! I see from your profile that you're from Seymour, Indiana. My Mom's side of the family is from Linton which is just west of you.
Been there several times! The bank I work at has a branch in Linton.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishes540 View Post
Been there several times! The bank I work at has a branch in Linton.
I haven't been there for 30+ years but feel the need since my Mom has passed to see the town again. I had heard it had gone through some rough times but am hoping it's recovered a bit.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I haven't been there for 30+ years but feel the need since my Mom has passed to see the town again. I had heard it had gone through some rough times but am hoping it's recovered a bit.
Sorry for your loss. I think it has gone through some rough times as much of southern indiana has as well. This is part of why we are looking to move. A lot of great people but limited opportunities and entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: