Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times

Advertisements

I live in Tampa at the moment, but I'm considering moving to Pinellas County to be closer to the beaches, and because the car insurance is noticeably less on that side of the bay (hopefully because of less stupid drivers). My main concern is the Scientology crowd. After seeing some of the cults inner-workings as a result of my job, I'm determined to keep a safe distance. So my question to everyone is: what cities in Pinellas have more or less of a Scientology presence. Obviously Clearwater is off my list, but what about other cities?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 PM

892 posts, read 1,578,891 times
Clearwater (downtown) is where 95% of them are.....

I am shocked that car insurance is less in Pinellas than in Hillsborough.....

I assure you......

It is NOT because there are "less stupid drivers"......

In fact, I would say the driving is worse in Pinellas than it is in Hillsborough.......

Think about it.......

More densely populated (very crowded) and WAY MORE tourists due to the beaches and other attractions

Nothing but red lights that are timed worse and are of longer duration than anywhere else in the country I've ever been....

Especially North Pinellas.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

I assure you......

In fact, I would say the driving is worse in Pinellas than it is in Hillsborough.......

Think about it.......

More densely populated (very crowded) and WAY MORE tourists due to the beaches and other attractions

Nothing but red lights that are timed worse and are of longer duration than anywhere else in the country I've ever been....

You nailed it, especially about ill timed lights in N. Pinellas. Actually, with the exception of St. Petersburg proper, S. Pinellas is pretty bad, too. I think the main objective of County Traffic Control is to create as much gridlock as possible.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
I moved from Clearwater -because I work in Tampa.. it's very nice over there but the traffic is BAD so much construction n visitors. Now as for the local religion... I only ever seen 2 or 3 but almost daily spending a lot of $$ -- they keep to themselves as far as I know, they are very protected in that city . that's all I'm going to say on the subject.. forget them and move where you want!

Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,322,668 times
The only bad things about Scientology are arguably worsening the lives of some members and unquestionably killing the tax base of Clearwater. There is no reason for a non-member to avoid being physically near them.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:18 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

I assure you......

Think about it.......

It probably has to do with the higher number of uninsured drivers in Hillsborough, more propensity toward lower income households, a high number of college students/younger drivers, more highways and worse traffic overall with lots of aggressive drivers. In terms of traffic lights they're all about the same in Florida, especially when stating one section of one county is worse doesn't really hold any water in terms of logic or argument.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtonia View Post
I live in Tampa at the moment, but I'm considering moving to Pinellas County to be closer to the beaches, and because the car insurance is noticeably less on that side of the bay (hopefully because of less stupid drivers). My main concern is the Scientology crowd. After seeing some of the cults inner-workings as a result of my job, I'm determined to keep a safe distance. So my question to everyone is: what cities in Pinellas have more or less of a Scientology presence. Obviously Clearwater is off my list, but what about other cities?

thanks.
The Scientologists do more or less keep to themselves so I wouldn't let sensationalist stories get in the way of reality. In terms of areas of focus I would recommend Safety Harbor, Countryside, East Lake or Oldsmar. As an FYI, the less reliance on US19 the better. I find the McMullen Booth Road/611 thoroughfare while still busy, much less congested overall and easier to navigate. Anywhere from SR590 north on up to East Lake Woodlands a mile either direction of McMullen Booth/611 is best in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,410,704 times
I've got several friends in Clearwater and am down there regularly; I can't say I've ever had any interaction with scientologists. They're certainly far less annoying than the people who walk up to you in Publix and ask if you know what would happen if you died today, or that come to your front door and try to give you pamphlets that remind you Jesus died for you. Sure you can see them walking around in groups in downtown but it's not like they come up and try to convert you; avoiding Clearwater for that reason alone makes no sense when there are far more annoying people.

I agree on the car insurance; a friend works at Progressive in Tampa and she said rates are a bit lower in Pinellas for whatever reason. Perhaps it's because nearly every street seems to have a stupidly low speed limit coupled with lots of Buicks traveling 20 mph below the speed limit.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I've got several friends in Clearwater and am down there regularly; I can't say I've ever had any interaction with scientologists. They're certainly far less annoying than the people who walk up to you in Publix and ask if you know what would happen if you died today, or that come to your front door and try to give you pamphlets that remind you Jesus died for you. Sure you can see them walking around in groups in downtown but it's not like they come up and try to convert you; avoiding Clearwater for that reason alone makes no sense when there are far more annoying people.

I agree on the car insurance; a friend works at Progressive in Tampa and she said rates are a bit lower in Pinellas for whatever reason. Perhaps it's because nearly every street seems to have a stupidly low speed limit coupled with lots of Buicks traveling 20 mph below the speed limit.
LOL, generalize much. Hardly...

Old 12-20-2013, 04:36 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
............I agree on the car insurance; a friend works at Progressive in Tampa and she said rates are a bit lower in Pinellas for whatever reason. Perhaps it's because nearly every street seems to have a stupidly low speed limit coupled with lots of Buicks traveling 20 mph below the speed limit.
Oh, now that is REALLY unfair.

Some of the cars are Mercurys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay