Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 PM

62 posts, read 98,073 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I've been enjoying this site for the past week, reading up on Tampa as I plan to relocate. After living in Northern VA for the past 20 yrs. I'm looking to get out of this cold weather for a more laid back lifestyle/lower cost of living.

Initially, I was focusing on the Orlando area since my parents love it down there, having relocated approx. 7 yrs. ago. And I briefly checked out Winter Park, on their recommendation. While Orlando/Winter Park both seem ok, I'm coming from the modern, very affluent DC-Metro suburbs.

So I've gotten used to clean everything, underground power lines, etc. And what I found in Kissimmee, Orlando, Winter Park etc. was lots of overhead power lines, burnt out grass and a generally rural-type feel. While the weather is great, aesthetically, it's just not as pleasing to the eye. Plus, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc. are few and far between.

Recently, my brother suggested the Tampa area as being more vibrant/less rural, while also close enough for visiting our parents. Since I'm looking to buy either a single-family home or townhome on the water, he thinks it's a better choice. But I'm also willing to consider Clearwater, St. Pete etc.

Job-market isn't an issue as I run my own businesses, and they're totally portable whether I'm in DC, FL or anywhere else. Making the same $$$ with a lower cost of living is def. a nice situation. But I'm tired of dealing w/the pressures of having a steep mortgage up north, so I'm looking to buy in the $200-400k range.

On the personal side, I'm divorced w/no kids, mid-40's and fit. If the "perfect" one came along, I would consider settling down again. But until then, I'm all about dating around and having fun. Since I actually look early to mid 30's I've been doing well with college-age to mid-20's women, and wouldn't mind keeping that up for awhile. Clubs/bars/drinking really isn't my thing though.

Ok, thanks for reading up to this point! Now my questions are whether I'm better off in Tampa, Orlando area or even somewhere else, given all of the above. And which areas would be best for someone who's single, dating younger women, but not really into nightlife, per se? Again, I'm looking for that affluent, clean and modern suburban feel of Northern VA w/out the overhead power lines, rural-type vibe, burnt out grass, and such. Plus, waterfront housing prices can't be too crazy. And I'm thinking about getting a small or medium-size dog in FL, so having a nice place for walking it, meeting other people etc. would be ideal.

Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 AM

676 posts, read 1,272,285 times
My wife and I (we are retired) moved from Atlanta to the South Shore in December. We're loving it here so far. You may want to look at Mirabay:

MiraBay by Newland Communities | Waterfront Living | New Homes for Sale | Tampa, FL

We live in the Bay Breeze community within Mirabay. What you want to pay is affordable where we are. I don't know what some of the homes would cost in other Mirabay communities. May homes are on lagoons with boat docks and they can get expensive.

I'd suggest that you make up a list of what you want, don't want and must have. Do a lot of research of communities using the internet and develop a short list of 6-8 communities that you want to see in person. Get together with a good agent and have a look around the area. My wife and I did exactly this and chose Mirabay. Our agent did a great job for us and I can provide her contact information to you.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4ME View Post

for a more laid back lifestyle/lower cost of living.

Let me stop you right there.....

If you think Florida is going to the beach every single day and chillin with super low costs for everything you are going to be sadly mistaken. Also, define "laid back" because Tampa is anything but....

Maybe more laid back on the coastal towns, but then your precious COL goes up DRAMITICALLY.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4ME View Post
Hey everyone!

I've been enjoying this site for the past week, reading up on Tampa as I plan to relocate. After living in Northern VA for the past 20 yrs. I'm looking to get out of this cold weather for a more laid back lifestyle/lower cost of living.

Initially, I was focusing on the Orlando area since my parents love it down there, having relocated approx. 7 yrs. ago. And I briefly checked out Winter Park, on their recommendation. While Orlando/Winter Park both seem ok, I'm coming from the modern, very affluent DC-Metro suburbs.

So I've gotten used to clean everything, underground power lines, etc. And what I found in Kissimmee, Orlando, Winter Park etc. was lots of overhead power lines, burnt out grass and a generally rural-type feel. While the weather is great, aesthetically, it's just not as pleasing to the eye. Plus, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc. are few and far between.

Recently, my brother suggested the Tampa area as being more vibrant/less rural, while also close enough for visiting our parents. Since I'm looking to buy either a single-family home or townhome on the water, he thinks it's a better choice. But I'm also willing to consider Clearwater, St. Pete etc.

Job-market isn't an issue as I run my own businesses, and they're totally portable whether I'm in DC, FL or anywhere else. Making the same $$$ with a lower cost of living is def. a nice situation. But I'm tired of dealing w/the pressures of having a steep mortgage up north, so I'm looking to buy in the $200-400k range.

On the personal side, I'm divorced w/no kids, mid-40's and fit. If the "perfect" one came along, I would consider settling down again. But until then, I'm all about dating around and having fun. Since I actually look early to mid 30's I've been doing well with college-age to mid-20's women, and wouldn't mind keeping that up for awhile. Clubs/bars/drinking really isn't my thing though.

Ok, thanks for reading up to this point! Now my questions are whether I'm better off in Tampa, Orlando area or even somewhere else, given all of the above. And which areas would be best for someone who's single, dating younger women, but not really into nightlife, per se? Again, I'm looking for that affluent, clean and modern suburban feel of Northern VA w/out the overhead power lines, rural-type vibe, burnt out grass, and such. Plus, waterfront housing prices can't be too crazy. And I'm thinking about getting a small or medium-size dog in FL, so having a nice place for walking it, meeting other people etc. would be ideal.

Any ideas???
Given your price range and other criteria you're clearly wanting something in Westchase, though it doesn't have the "waterfront" criteria. Suburban, clean and modern Northern Virginia exists pretty much only in Northern Virginia. If you can get over that there are a number of suggestions open to you, otherwise you may want to reconsider the move. A distant geographic move requires some adaptation usually, so I would question whether or not you're ready for such a move.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:42 AM

62 posts, read 98,073 times
Thanks for these comments! And Westchase really does seem perfect: nature, aesthetics, underground power lines, walkable, upscale, and even some lakes/ponds! Plus, it's affordable and close enough to downtown, beaches, airport etc. However, it seems very family-oriented, so opportunities for meeting younger singles may be somewhat limited. Perhaps, that's the ultimate trade-off with living there vs. downtown or South Tampa?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:45 AM

554 posts, read 977,585 times
I am going to chime in here a bit. I lived in Herndon for about 3 yrs and lived in St. Pete for a year. I am actually getting ready to move back to St. Pete at the end of March. I can't really comment on Tampa itself as I lived and worked in St. Pete and didn't go to Tampa often. St. Pete and NOVA could not be more different. The lifestyles between the 2 areas are polar opposites. As the OP posted, NOVA is a very affluent, high priced area. St. Pete is much lower prices and things are not nearly as yupscale, bright and shiny. In NOVA "everyone" works for the gov't , has a 6 figure salary and every child in NOVA is gifted. Down here, it's more of a touristy, vacation vibe with a lot more blue collar workers than white collar workers. I promise you won't be asked what type of security clearance you have on a first date!! UP there, most people are focused on career advancement and material wealth. Down here, people seemed to be more focused on chilling out. When I was up there, I didn't have much free time because I had 1-2hr commutes each way to work and I was spending all my money on a $2200 a month town house. Down here, my wife and I went out somewhere about 4 nights a week as I lived 10 minutes to Vinoy park or 15 min to St. Pete beach. Also, the traffic here is nothing at all compared to NOVA. The only bad traffic I have seen is where 275 and I4 meet up. NOVA traffic is horrid.

If someone is looking for career advancement and is highly concerned with upward mobility, I would suggest they stay in the uber competitive, stressed out, materiealistic NOVA area. If someone is more concerned with leisure, good weather, being able to hang out etc, then I would suggest St. Pete.

That being said, St. Pete does have it's warts. There are a lot of homeless people near downtown, most of the houses are older, smaller block type houses and there seems to be a lot of very strange (doped out) people in the area. However, there are also some very upscale areas close to the water and some extremely nice condos on the water both bay and gulf side. With that being said, I loved living down here and am looking forward to getting back here next month. I am closer to 50, work from home and I am not looking for career advancement. I enjoyed the fact that I could either go watch dolphins in the bay or take a quick ride to the beach on almost any night. For me, living here was almost like being on vacation and I loved down town St. Pete. The only things I miss from NOVA are Bagels and the mountains.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Hyde Park Bayshore Harbor Isle St Pete downtown

Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
I am going to chime in here a bit. I lived in Herndon for about 3 yrs and lived in St. Pete for a year. I am actually getting ready to move back to St. Pete at the end of March. I can't really comment on Tampa itself as I lived and worked in St. Pete and didn't go to Tampa often. St. Pete and NOVA could not be more different. The lifestyles between the 2 areas are polar opposites. As the OP posted, NOVA is a very affluent, high priced area. St. Pete is much lower prices and things are not nearly as yupscale, bright and shiny. In NOVA "everyone" works for the gov't , has a 6 figure salary and every child in NOVA is gifted. Down here, it's more of a touristy, vacation vibe with a lot more blue collar workers than white collar workers. I promise you won't be asked what type of security clearance you have on a first date!! UP there, most people are focused on career advancement and material wealth. Down here, people seemed to be more focused on chilling out. When I was up there, I didn't have much free time because I had 1-2hr commutes each way to work and I was spending all my money on a $2200 a month town house. Down here, my wife and I went out somewhere about 4 nights a week as I lived 10 minutes to Vinoy park or 15 min to St. Pete beach. Also, the traffic here is nothing at all compared to NOVA. The only bad traffic I have seen is where 275 and I4 meet up. NOVA traffic is horrid.

If someone is looking for career advancement and is highly concerned with upward mobility, I would suggest they stay in the uber competitive, stressed out, materiealistic NOVA area. If someone is more concerned with leisure, good weather, being able to hang out etc, then I would suggest St. Pete.

That being said, St. Pete does have it's warts. There are a lot of homeless people near downtown, most of the houses are older, smaller block type houses and there seems to be a lot of very strange (doped out) people in the area. However, there are also some very upscale areas close to the water and some extremely nice condos on the water both bay and gulf side. With that being said, I loved living down here and am looking forward to getting back here next month. I am closer to 50, work from home and I am not looking for career advancement. I enjoyed the fact that I could either go watch dolphins in the bay or take a quick ride to the beach on almost any night. For me, living here was almost like being on vacation and I loved down town St. Pete. The only things I miss from NOVA are Bagels and the mountains.
Sadly I can't rep you again. Very well said and a spot on comparison for the OP to ponder. St Pete is a terrific place to live, but it requires a certain mindset which is unique to most Florida transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay