Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 06:13 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Aren't Florida's "prevailing winds" out of the southeast?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Used to be before the last 25 years. Southeast windflow in the summer was the norm and showers moved toward the west coast.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
^
This explanation of what happens certainly didn't take a page and a half to explain. BTW it is exactly what Steve Jerve and as another member mentioned what Paul Dellegatto explain just about every day in the summer. Note how it mentions "sea breezes" not windflow or triple summersault inverted reversed direction windflow. In short, the above post is spot on and not full of hot air.
Again you can't buy a clue . If you want to fight with me all summer over this then have at it. Take stock in what this guy has to say guys he just knows it all.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
No. They change direction during year. Always have. It depends a lot on the season.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Used to be before the last 25 years. Southeast windflow in the summer was the norm and showers moved toward the west coast.
That's what I thought. In fact I read somewhere about how some of the older homes in certain neighborhoods (Gainesville, also Clearwater, were two places that were mentioned) were laid out on a grid in such a way as to take advantage of the prevailing winds to provide ventilation and even a bit of cooling without air conditioning. But I didn't realize this changed 25 years ago.

Yes, Prius, I do realize that wind does change direction. But I think there's a difference between "prevailing winds" and changes in wind direction. We could always tell when the wind was coming out of the north during the winter months because we'd get a whiff of the fertilizer plant north of us in Riverview/Gibsonton on 41. The smell travelled all the way down to Ruskin. That was when Cargill owned it. El Stinkadoro! Mosaic seems to have cleaned that up.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
That's what I thought. In fact I read somewhere about how some of the older homes in certain neighborhoods (Gainesville, also Clearwater, were two places that were mentioned) were laid out on a grid in such a way as to take advantage of the prevailing winds to provide ventilation and even a bit of cooling without air conditioning. But I didn't realize this changed 25 years ago.

Yes, Prius, I do realize that wind does change direction. But I think there's a difference between "prevailing winds" and changes in wind direction. We could always tell when the wind was coming out of the north during the winter months because we'd get a whiff of the fertilizer plant north of us in Riverview/Gibsonton on 41. The smell travelled all the way down to Ruskin. That was when Cargill owned it. El Stinkadoro! Mosaic seems to have cleaned that up.
He will do a 180 to anything i say. If i said the sky was blue he would say it's green.

Mods can lock this one up if they wish. It's now the type of weather i don't like.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
He will do a 180 to anything i say. If i said the sky was blue he would say it's green.

Mods can lock this one up if they wish. It's now the type of weather i don't like.
Yep, the hot wet blanket is starting to descend. However, when I read about parts of the southeast that are getting hit by the tornadoes, then I'm grateful for the weather we have here, believe me.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Yep, the hot wet blanket is starting to descend. However, when I read about parts of the southeast that are getting hit by the tornadoes, then I'm grateful for the weather we have here, believe me.
That certainly is something they have going on out there. I'm with you that I am grateful for our weather. I am a fan of thunderstorms, but not tornadoes. I mean real tornadoes.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM

While doubtful, I am hoping tomorrow a spoke of energy from the storms happening in the panhandle will make it to the Tampa Bay area. That would provide the extra instability and energy needed to assist in blowing up some thunder storms at this time of year.

About 6 more weeks to go before the more consistent fun begins. We are starting the slow transition now. Now that I am retired at home, I will have the chance to monitor and enjoy these more. Making lemonade out of lemons.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
As you guys can see today, the showers popped up well inland and moved toward the northeast as we have a southwest windflow. Just keep a eye on this kind of thing day to day in the summer and you will see how the timing and where the showers pop up and move all thanks to a reverse west windflow, or a southeast windflow and how close or far inland our west coast seabreeze or far the east coast seabreeze moves toward us and effects our summer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay