Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
If you have a tendency to criticize, people will treat you the same everywhere. Have you tried traveling to Southern Europe, Middle East or Asia? You Britts (or Brits) don't carry the best reputation out there either you know.

Btw, I recently met someone from London and was told the person disliked how Eastern Europeans and others move to the country lately demanding jobs, benefits or are even granted residency right a way..so it's the same. Brits even disliked Italians after WWII who were moving there because no locals were willing to work as bricklayers. Xenophobia exists everywhere.
You appear to becoming obsessed about the British - simply because I pointed out that American visitors to Britain tended to be fatter,ruder and louder than everyone else.

And yes, I have indeed travelled to Southern Europe, the Middle East and Asia.Extensively.

What I couldn't help noticing was that by and large most American visitors to these countries arrived and departed by cruise ship. And whilst I couldn't always be certain about their manners there was no doubting their obesity and loud voices.

However, I suspect your obsession is more about my gentle chiding of your spelling of Brit ( always with a single t ) and lamentable attempt to cover your tracks with some nonsense about an Italian restaurant in Treasure Island called Britts.

For the record, and if you read my posts clearly you would already understand this, I like America and Americans very much. It's why I live here and why Americans are among my closest friends.

As I keep repeating, live and let live.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You appear to becoming obsessed about the British - simply because I pointed out that American visitors to Britain tended to be fatter,ruder and louder than everyone else.

And yes, I have indeed travelled to Southern Europe, the Middle East and Asia.Extensively.

What I couldn't help noticing was that by and large most American visitors to these countries arrived and departed by cruise ship. And whilst I couldn't always be certain about their manners there was no doubting their obesity and loud voices.

However, I suspect your obsession is more about my gentle chiding of your spelling of Brit ( always with a single t ) and lamentable attempt to cover your tracks with some nonsense about an Italian restaurant in Treasure Island called Britts.

For the record, and if you read my posts clearly you would already understand this, I like America and Americans very much. It's why I live here and why Americans are among my closest friends.

As I keep repeating, live and let live.
Haha as soon as I brought up an example by a Britt, immediately on the sarcastic defensive. I guess Pink Floyd was right, "desperation IS the English way". Since I have traveled too, I can tell you Brits or Britts are definitely not respected in Southern Europe or Middle East (please read some history once in a while). As a matter of fact in certain parts of Europe, British tourists are considered trouble makers and are notorious for getting drunk in public causing all kinds of issues. In addition, I was not attempting to cover anything, nor am i obsessed with a country that practiced colonialism extensively. Simply, I could care less about the Brits or the Britts. I was merely responding to your sarcasm. You are no better than anyone else (whether you are skinny, fat, tall, short or the Queen) , so refrain from putting others down (including Americans) and perhaps you'll enjoy your time in FL more.

Btw, I like the British too, despite having bad teeth and mostly being weird looking.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Haha as soon as I brought up an example by a Britt, immediately on the sarcastic defensive. I guess Pink Floyd was right, "desperation IS the English way". Since I have traveled too, I can tell you Brits or Britts are definitely not respected in Southern Europe or Middle East (please read some history once in a while). As a matter of fact in certain parts of Europe, British tourists are considered trouble makers and are notorious for getting drunk in public causing all kinds of issues. In addition, I was not attempting to cover anything, nor am i obsessed with a country that practiced colonialism extensively. Simply, I could care less about the Brits or the Britts. I was merely responding to your sarcasm. You are no better than anyone else (whether you are skinny, fat, tall, short or the Queen) , so refrain from putting others down (including Americans) and perhaps you'll enjoy your time in FL more.

Btw, I like the British too, despite having bad teeth and mostly being weird looking.

We have an expression in England.
It's called losing the plot.
I think you've lost it.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
LOL! Excellent posts, especially the ferris wheel part. I actually laughed out loud.

I am with you on this, having been to Myrtle Beach multiple times. Never again, as we have upgraded big time.
That Ferris Wheel has got me sold!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
To close out the Myrtle Beach talk...native South Carolinian here. We don't claim Myrtle Beach and would rather annex it to Ohio. We have beautiful beaches in SC that we favor instead (Edisto, Folly, IOP, Pawleys, etc).
SC was on my possible relocation list - no MB, but Aiken. I really enjoy the state - especially the golf courses in the Low Country and more inland. MB was too touristy though, for me.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
We have an expression in England.
It's called losing the plot.
I think you've lost it.
hehe stiff upper lip. Make sure you watch the movie the "Boy in the plastic bubble" w/ Travolta ' some time. You seem to be in your own bubble.

BBC NEWS | UK | British 'world's worst tourists'

"Britons have been labelled the world's worst holidaymakers in a survey of tourist boards around the globe. "

Obesity in UK 'could be far worse than predicted' | Society | The Guardian

'Hero' Greek woman sets fire to drunken Briton's genitals - Telegraph

Old 04-21-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
hehe stiff upper lip. Make sure you watch the movie the "Boy in the plastic bubble" w/ Travolta ' some time. You seem to be in your own bubble.

BBC NEWS | UK | British 'world's worst tourists'

"Britons have been labelled the world's worst holidaymakers in a survey of tourist boards around the globe. "

Obesity in UK 'could be far worse than predicted' | Society | The Guardian

'Hero' Greek woman sets fire to drunken Briton's genitals - Telegraph

You have,at least,stopped with the pretence that Brit is spelled Britt.
We're making progress at last.

Last edited by Roscoe Conkling; 04-21-2014 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You have,at least,stopped with the pretence that Brit is spelled Britt.
We're making progress at last.
You can't even spell pretense correctly, you're giving me/us lessons in making progress at something. Why not consider some remedial courses in your own language?

The proof is overwhelming. You had a hidden agenda for not liking obese people, then turned it to "Americans this and Americans that" (even though they are your friends (??)). Like I said before, try being a 'know it all' face to face with an American, state your usual nonsense and see what happens. Until then, read the last links I posted. They outline the same stereotypes you used on Americans. Cheers!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
You can't even spell pretense correctly,

pretence - definition of pretence by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Keep digging.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM

The CD editor flagged it as a typo. Try convincing them hehe.

From the 3rd link above..

"It alleged the Briton took down his trousers and started waving his genitals at a number of girls. He then specifically "forcefully fondled" the 26-year old Greek woman, asking her to take hold of his genitals. "

Any questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay