Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
could be NYers - where that's a common personality trait from what I've seen.
Used to be that NYers pretty much avoided the western half of Florida like the plague, and tended to migrate to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Boca/Palm Beach corridor. Seems to be more interest in our neck of the woods from Mid Atlantic/New England folks recently, judging from this board. Wonder why?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Used to be that NYers pretty much avoided the western half of Florida like the plague, and tended to migrate to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Boca/Palm Beach corridor. Seems to be more interest in our neck of the woods from Mid Atlantic/New England folks recently, judging from this board. Wonder why?
We wanted the gulf waters instead of the Atlantic, my wife wanted to use Tampa Airport for work travel over any other airport. We have family on both coasts, but most on the gulf coast by far and all originally from MA for the most part.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
The NYer snowbirds that I know like the price of homes here compared to those areas that you listed. You get more for your money here.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:

Probably because it's just nicer than the other coast.
I suppose it's whether you prefer retro to bling or the more understated vibe of the Gulf coast to the brashness of the East coast.
There are also still pockets of Old Florida left which I like.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
could be NYers - where that's a common personality trait from what I've seen.
Yep, seems that way.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it seemed historically that the NYers, and other northeasterners "wintered" on the east coast of Florida, their presence being massively evident particularly in northern Broward through Palm Beach counties- maybe north of there too, but I frequently traveled for my last job through Palm Beach county and south, so I don't know what happens north of there, snowbird-wise. I can't say I've ever encountered so much rudeness, self-entitlement, and just plain snobbery as I observed when I had to go to Boca Raton, especially, although there was some of that points north of there in Palm Beach county.
They're even mean to each other! Made me realize I'd rather shoot myself than have to retire in Boca Raton- although we couldn't afford to live there, even if we wanted to, so it was never an issue for us.

It always seemed that the snowbirds who came to SW Florida were generally more friendly, polite and considerate than many of our east coast visitors. This was explained to us by virtue of these folks being from the midwest ( many from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio), where they were perhaps a little more forebearing of their fellow man than NYers tend to be. Something like that.

But something's changed in the snowbird demographics in SW Florida, or so it seems, in the last two winters. I live in an area that where we've had snowbird and tourist visitors, but not the sheer numbers that visit to the north and south of us ( ie, Naples/BonitaBeach/Ft. Myers to the south, Sarasota to the north). But we've all noticed great increases in traffic, significant increases in the demands for our services, increase in business demands in the last two "seasons". And with that increase in numbers, we've noted the number of license plates from NY and other northeastern states, and an increase in the number of visitors who display that same rudeness and superiority we see in Boca Raton. I've heard any number of folks who live here comment on the same thing, but this season was the first time I'd heard several people comment on the rudeness of some of those folks. I don't know what's attracted northeasterners to this corner of Florida, I've heard some of them comment on the beauty of the area, the relatively low prices for housing, entertainment, and so on, even as a few of those folks make snide comments about the locals. The other thing we're seeing here is an increase in the number of snowbirds ( both from the midwest and northeast) planning to move to the area permanently, and they're buying/building houses.

Now, all that said, I'm in no way lumping all northeastern visitors/snowbirds into that "rude" category- they aren't all like that, and we've met and become friendly with some great folks who hail from the northeastern states, and IMO they contribute greatly to making this corner of the globe a great place, and we're privileged to be associated with them.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
I'm well acquainted with the whole NY/NE vibe, having been born and raised there. That's why I left, but I must confess I first moved to South Florida, and enjoyed it a lot back in the day. When I was ready for a more mellow vibe, this is where I landed and I don't regret it.

In these parts, the snowbirds have been mainly from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota. And Canada. For the most part, a pretty laid back, mellow bunch of folks and relatively easy to deal with. But they're a dying breed. They come from the days of unions, pensions, etc. and I don't think may of the future retirees are going to have it as good as those folks. I think you'll see more year-rounders, who can't afford to maintain two residences.

As to edgier snowbirds and re-locators, I find the best way to deal with them is that the nastier they act, the more overly gracious I act. I like to put on a big and yessir, yas'm to death. And then do what I wanted in the first place. Nothing makes them crazier.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:41 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Even after all these posts I still find this antipathy towards snowbirds to be bizarre.
When they arrive across the state borders do they suddenly behave completely differently from their fellow citizens from Florida ?
Do they walk,talk,behave any differently from Floiridians ?
As far as I can see reading the posts on here they drive without caution or anticipation of their fellow road users.
Statisically these people are probably elderly.
Given the choice, and insurance companies would back me up on this, elderly people are less likely to cause traffic accidents the hot-headed, drugged-up,hot-rodders.
Live and let live people.Wait till you're knocking on a bit and the knees are getting a bit gammy. Let's see how sophisticated you are as a driver then.
Harrumph.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I'm well acquainted with the whole NY/NE vibe, having been born and raised there. That's why I left, but I must confess I first moved to South Florida, and enjoyed it a lot back in the day. When I was ready for a more mellow vibe, this is where I landed and I don't regret it.

In these parts, the snowbirds have been mainly from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Minnesota. And Canada. For the most part, a pretty laid back, mellow bunch of folks and relatively easy to deal with. But they're a dying breed. They come from the days of unions, pensions, etc. and I don't think may of the future retirees are going to have it as good as those folks. I think you'll see more year-rounders, who can't afford to maintain two residences.

As to edgier snowbirds and re-locators, I find the best way to deal with them is that the nastier they act, the more overly gracious I act. I like to put on a big and yessir, yas'm to death. And then do what I wanted iwhn the first place. Nothing makes them crazier.
My husband is originally from Long Island, so he's also well acquainted with that vibe, but he's been gone a long time from there and doesn't like it either.

I think you're right about the snowbirds from the midwest who traditionally came to this neck of the woods in the winter, they may the the last generation able to enjoy the snowbird life style in both places. We've already been seeing an uptick in the number of those folks who have decided they're too old and it's too much trouble to continue traveling between the summer and the winter locations. Some of them decide to remain here year round and buy or build houses, and others may decide to remain "up north" year round to be closer to family, friends, etc.

I suspect you're right too, IMO about your dealings with those "prickly" visitors. As I see it, I'm absolutely delighted with the circumstances I'm in these days, retired in a place I dearly love, a beautiful location, sharing it with my soulmate who's as happy as I am about being here, healthy for the most part and financially able to do about what we want, so why would I let a chance encounter with such a visitor affect my perspective on anything one way or the other, or be anything other than a brief passing cloud in a sunny sky, so to speak. A positive attitude on my part might make them crazy, I don't know, but I don't think I'll worry about it, or even look back to notice their reaction one way or the other.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Even after all these posts I still find this antipathy towards snowbirds to be bizarre.
When they arrive across the state borders do they suddenly behave completely differently from their fellow citizens from Florida ?
Do they walk,talk,behave any differently from Floiridians ?
As far as I can see reading the posts on here they drive without caution or anticipation of their fellow road users.
Statisically these people are probably elderly.
Given the choice, and insurance companies would back me up on this, elderly people are less likely to cause traffic accidents the hot-headed, drugged-up,hot-rodders.
Live and let live people.Wait till you're knocking on a bit and the knees are getting a bit gammy. Let's see how sophisticated you are as a driver then.
Harrumph.
Old chap, when I say you're in your own world...

Motorist, 93, drives 3 miles with body lodged in his windshield

Four yrs ago I was rear ended by an 86 yr old male driver at a stop light (in Pinellas). So, the elderly (many of them snowbirds) can be just as bad as the "hot-headed, drugged-up,hot-rodders". I bet you're an old fart who still drives erratically when you visit FL? I'll keep an eye for you.

Maybe one of these days you'll overcome the antipathy feelings and open up to the locals, as well as learn to spell 'Floridians'.

Note: No disrespect to the elderly, just stating a fact/personal experience(we're all heading that way one day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay