Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I like living here... but I'd move to Ft. Laudy/Miami in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself. More my style down there.
Ditto. ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
I have been following this forum for a few months now and it appears there are only two types of posters.

- Those like me, who are considering a move to Florida (Tampa) and are looking for information.

- And then there are those that live in Florida (Tampa) and for some reason they absolutely hate it, talk about how terrible everything is and try to discourage anyone from moving there.

I dont get it, if its really that bad why do these people live there ?
How about the third group who live here and LOVE it? Don't forget about us!

I grew up in Florida and moved away for several years to live in the South and then the Midwest. I eventually came back home because, in my opinion, there just really is no better state than Florida. Where else can you walk the beach barefoot at Christmas? Seriously … I feel like I am always on vacation here. I love the laid-back lifestyle and friendly people. I love the heat. I love that I live just steps way from the bay and a twenty minute drive away from the best beaches in the nation. I love that I can float around my pool all summer long enjoying the sunshine and warm breezes.

Florida isn't perfect, but is certainly is perfect for me!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Meh, just research and then give it a try if it sounds appealing. People tend to exaggerate on both the pos and neg side of things.

I would love to live in Florida for a couple of years......if it wasn't for that heat/humidity combination

Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 AM

350 posts, read 333,418 times
Moved here from southern Indiana almost 6 six ago and I LOVE TAMPA!!!!! Used this board for 2 years before we moved and I just read all the positive info and considered the attitudes of the negative...stay with us....wow ....eight years on this board!!! The info and help on this board is priceless.....has made our quality of life much better with the info we used.....come on down!!!!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:58 AM

473 posts, read 544,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post

I grew up in Florida and moved away for several years to live in the South and then the Midwest. I eventually came back home because, in my opinion, there just really is no better state than Florida. Where else can you walk the beach barefoot at Christmas? Seriously … I feel like I am always on vacation here. I love the laid-back lifestyle and friendly people. I love the heat. I love that I live just steps way from the bay and a twenty minute drive away from the best beaches in the nation. I love that I can float around my pool all summer long enjoying the sunshine and warm breezes.

Nice to here from someone that lives there and loves it, you just listed many of the exact reasons why we are moving down to Tampa

Old 04-26-2014, 05:59 AM

473 posts, read 544,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
Moved here from southern Indiana almost 6 six ago and I LOVE TAMPA!!!!! Used this board for 2 years before we moved and I just read all the positive info and considered the attitudes of the negative...stay with us....wow ....eight years on this board!!! The info and help on this board is priceless.....has made our quality of life much better with the info we used.....come on down!!!!
Nice to hear,we'll be there next year.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:28 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Jambo knows well that life in FL is no different than most places. Life does not consist of lazy summer days on the beaches everyday living the rest of your life in Paradise. Jambo is not one of the "haters" but dislikes the idealistic posters who feel that moving to FL is going to change their lives, make them better people, satisfy all their needs.
THIS^^^^^

And this:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney...041547851.html

You could say these folks didn't re-search, but you can't take "out" of the account that certain job fields simply don't pay enough to make a decent living for families in Florida anymore. Those who choose to be blindsided by the "lack of snow", will become upset with "Florida" when it turns out that it is NOT the "paradise" they were looking for, or "expecting to receive" in exchange for their presence here! Lot of people who move here think they "arrived" somehow, and that is ridiculously obnoxious! Others like other cities better, what's wrong with that? we're not all twins to like everything! OP: You do understand that everyone has a different "circumstance" and we're not talking about millionaires here who complain about Florida. Or at least I hope you understand that.

For some, living here works, for others it doesn't work; just like with California! I won't live in California if you paid me.

However, we "locals" see a lot of delusional's posting here, and after a while we get tired of it! "Ohh man, another snow hater moving here and expecting to not work another day of his life!"

Old 04-26-2014, 09:06 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post

Well said! I feel the same way!

Funny how some people think people who LOVE Florida are delusional, lying, have an agenda, blah, blah, blah.....but those who do not like it here are 100% honest and spot on.

Personally I put more stock into people who say they love it or like it here or who say I tried it and I prefer to live elsewhere, than people who do nothing but hate and have nothing but negative things to say about anybody who dare like it here.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 04-26-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

The people profiled in the article above obviously were no better off where they were. They have no marketable skills, no back up funds, no plan beyond getting a job in a Dollar store. People of that caliber will be poor in Macon Georgia, Orlando Florida, Phoenix Arizona, Barrow Alaska, anywhere. All they had was the hopes that theY could find a couple of minimum wage jobs and suddenly be able to provide for their needs and the needs of their children. Yet they come to places where the sources of jobs that they can do are which is better than going down the tubes where they were. What they dont take into account is the first months rent, security deposit, last months rent, furniture, utility deposits, moving costs and all the other things that are required to boot up a life anywhere. Who's fault is their situation? THEIRS.

"another snow hater moving here and expecting to not work another day of his life!"

I have yet to see such an attitude here on CD or in my life except for those who were already retired, almost retired or permanently and totally disabled. Have you seen anyone of working age and ability planning on relocation state such a thought?

"Certain job fields simply don't pay enough to make a decent living for families in Florida anymore."

Which fields do you mean? Did they exist here before? Where would a person be more apt to earn a decent living doing it? Let's not count the obvious like snow plow operator. The same jobs and career choices that exist elsewhere also exist here.

"For some, living here works, for others it doesn't work; just like with California! I won't live in California if you paid me."

I am sure that there are people who really do feel that living in FL will be better for them than any other place they may be or go. That is a positive way of thinking. It would be silly to relocate to a place that is the same as where you are and doesnt offer the differences which are sought.

As far as it working for some and not for others, I believe that no matter where you choose to live, whether or not is is going to "work" for some and not others is more dependent on the goals, desires and ambition of an individual. For someone with no goals, desires or ambition, they can go anywhere in the world and it is not going to work out well for them. Its not a matter of geography, it is a matter of individual traits. People make their opportunities not the place they live in. Yes, "circumstance" has a lot to do with it. The geography does not dictate circumstance. People dictate circumstance.
If you are poor where you are now it is very likely that you will be poor no matter where you are.
There are many people who have lives that will never improve due to their own personal limitations. Just like those profiled in the above referenced article.

The most delusional people are those who do not plan, do not think, do not research and have no back up plan. I do see that most people are opposite of that. They have a plan, they think out the pros and cons and they research to see if they feel their abilities will give them the opportunity to be successful in a different place. There is no reason why a successful person in one place wouldnt be just as successful in another place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
THIS^^^^^

And this:

You could say these folks didn't re-search, but you can't take "out" of the account that certain job fields simply don't pay enough to make a decent living for families in Florida anymore. Those who choose to be blindsided by the "lack of snow", will become upset with "Florida" when it turns out that it is NOT the "paradise" they were looking for, or "expecting to receive" in exchange for their presence here! Lot of people who move here think they "arrived" somehow, and that is ridiculously obnoxious! Others like other cities better, what's wrong with that? we're not all twins to like everything! OP: You do understand that everyone has a different "circumstance" and we're not talking about millionaires here who complain about Florida. Or at least I hope you understand that.

For some, living here works, for others it doesn't work; just like with California! I won't live in California if you paid me.

However, we "locals" see a lot of delusional's posting here, and after a while we get tired of it! "Ohh man, another snow hater moving here and expecting to not work another day of his life!"

Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
I think there is something subliminal going on here when people complain about the bad things in the Tampa area. I think deep down they just don't want anyone else moving here. Florida has become the 3rd Largest state in the country. THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND!!! The 3rd Largest State; It is putting a huge strain on the economy, schools, infrastructure, and on and on. I think folks are subconsciously telling everyone to stay away cause it's just plain too crowded.......

JMTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay