Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM

473 posts, read 544,046 times

Advertisements

As we enter our last week in Buffalo before my son, daughter and I join my wife in Tampa, its become even more crystal clear that no one, including friends and family are truly happy for us.

We have been listening to the comments for months but this weekend it continued. We had a party to celebrate our daughters HS graduation, sons college graduation and our move. My wife came back into town for the party, the first time she had been back since March, yet the snarky comments continued.

Even those that say "Good Luck" have to follow up with "I hope it works out"

Then there's "My neighbor moved to Florida last year and hates it"

Or the popular "You know its hot in Florida" "There's bugs in Florida", "It rains a lot in Florida", "Traffics bad in Florida"............WTF people, enough

My mother - law has been one of the worst, never supporting us from the beginning and of course it continued at the party. My wife was talking to a friend and made the comment "we'll be living the dream" . My mother in law sitting a few feet away, stood up, threw her hands in the air and said " I cant listen to this talk anymore" and stormed off.

Then the constant family insinuations that we're trying to "Get Out" , whatever that means.

Anyways thanks for letting me vent, I don't understand why people just cant be happy for us.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 AM

30,430 posts, read 21,241,024 times
If you like this crappy heat and no rain then i am happy for ya.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 AM

41 posts, read 54,251 times
I'm happy for you. I'm in the northeast and so want to move down.

The feeling I'm getting is that it's a combination of them feeling sad because they're going to miss you and/or they can't understand why someone would actually want to move to Florida because it's not their ideal place.

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:37 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Because 90% of the people who preface everything they say with, "I'm from New York" follow it up with something negative about the area.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Screw everyone.
Do what u need to do to be happy.

U dont need anyone else to be happy for you. It's not anything to worry about. As long as ur happy-- that's all that matters.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM

318 posts, read 516,143 times
In my experience, it's fine to disappoint others to be true to yourself & your family. Doesn't mean it's fun, for sure. Best wishes for you all.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Because 90% of the people who preface everything they say with, "I'm from New York" follow it up with something negative about the area.
You make no sense

Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Screw everyone.
Do what u need to do to be happy.

U dont need anyone else to be happy for you. It's not anything to worry about. As long as ur happy-- that's all that matters.

Sound advice

Old 07-06-2015, 11:48 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
Something my dad taught me when I was in my mid teens (although didn't sink in until I was roughly 20) was that nobody will ever be happy for you. People are full of jealousy, selfishness and greed and whether its a job promotion, moving to your paradise or getting a new house/car people dont really care.

Im glad he taught me that because it has become quite apparent as me and my wife continue to get more successful and get nicer things. Even most family members arent really happy for you, now all of the sudden we are too good for people.. funny how that works.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
As we enter our last week in Buffalo before my son, daughter and I join my wife in Tampa, its become even more crystal clear that no one, including friends and family are truly happy for us.

We have been listening to the comments for months but this weekend it continued. We had a party to celebrate our daughters HS graduation, sons college graduation and our move. My wife came back into town for the party, the first time she had been back since March, yet the snarky comments continued.

Even those that say "Good Luck" have to follow up with "I hope it works out"

Then there's "My neighbor moved to Florida last year and hates it"

Or the popular "You know its hot in Florida" "There's bugs in Florida", "It rains a lot in Florida", "Traffics bad in Florida"............WTF people, enough

My mother - law has been one of the worst, never supporting us from the beginning and of course it continued at the party. My wife was talking to a friend and made the comment "we'll be living the dream" . My mother in law sitting a few feet away, stood up, threw her hands in the air and said " I cant listen to this talk anymore" and stormed off.

Then the constant family insinuations that we're trying to "Get Out" , whatever that means.

Anyways thanks for letting me vent, I don't understand why people just cant be happy for us.
You should have heard the comments we got when we told family and friends that we bought a house in MEXICO in 2008!!! We lived there 5 years and reluctantly sold it 2 years ago when we needed to be closer to an elderly parent on the East Coast.

When we're no longer needed here in the US, it's my guess we'll do the expat thing once again (not sure where yet)....can't wait for those comments!

But seriously, their comments are based sometimes on jealousy, sometimes out of sadness that you're leaving, sometimes defensive as in "we love it here, why would anyone want to leave."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay