Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times

Advertisements

I have tried Google for some answer but I am not getting a whole bunch of luck in finding what im looking for. I am in the process of purchasing a house in Lake Padgett in Land O Lakes which is on a well/Septic system. The house had an addition which pretty much butts right up to the hatch to the tank now, from what I can tell there is a bunch of stuff online saying a certain distance is usually used (10 feet) but that its not a requirement.. Im wondering if any issues may arise from it being too close or if it matters at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
That is pretty close. However,it wont affect the operations of the septic system. If the tank gets too full and starts to seep out around the cover it may be a stinky situation in the addition.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
I'd bounce it off a home inspector or a septic contractor. One of the things I didn't do when I bought my house was have a septic inspection done. No problems yet, but I am going to get it checked/pumped simply to establish a baseline because I have no history to go on.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:37 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I'd bounce it off a home inspector or a septic contractor. One of the things I didn't do when I bought my house was have a septic inspection done. No problems yet, but I am going to get it checked/pumped simply to establish a baseline because I have no history to go on.
yes, I Did plan to have it pumped when moving in just so I know where it is at.

The home inspector said it wasn't a big deal I just like to have as much info on this kind of stuff as possible

Old 09-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post

The home inspector said it wasn't a big deal I just like to have as much info on this kind of stuff as possible
Pumping is key. Every 2 years would be good. Do not use laundry bleach if your washing machine discharges to the tank. It will help kill off the beneficial bacteria. The only things that should enter the septic tank is human waste and water.

If you dont pump the sludge level rises to the point where the outlet pipe of the tank is. Then sludge is finding its way to your drain field and that is what kills drain fields.

While the tank is empty ensure that the inlet and outlet pipes have elbows attached that make them point straight down. Like a sideways "L"

An envelope of plain bakers yeast will help keep the tank healthy.

Had a septic system. Loved it. No sewer charges every month. They do require a little TLC to be at maximum efficiently.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post

So, did you end up getting it done?

I had mine pumped yesterday. Septic guy said it hadn't been pumped in probably 20 years or so, which is pretty much the length of time the previous owner was here. He said everything looks good otherwise. Now I've got a nice empty tank and am going to keep on top of it by getting it pumped every 3-5 years.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
So, did you end up getting it done?

I had mine pumped yesterday. Septic guy said it hadn't been pumped in probably 20 years or so, which is pretty much the length of time the previous owner was here. He said everything looks good otherwise. Now I've got a nice empty tank and am going to keep on top of it by getting it pumped every 3-5 years.
What about that stuff you flush down the toilet to help keep the septic tank working?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
What about that stuff you flush down the toilet to help keep the septic tank working?
Its really not needed since the contents of the tank have no problem creating enough of a bacteria colony to do the job. The stuff you buy and flush wont hurt anything except your wallet. Using plain old bakers yeast will do the same thing. Some of those flushes have a plant killer that is supposed to keep roots from getting the tubes.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I have stuff for that, but I haven't been using it for the septic per se. It works really well to clear slow drains and keep them clear. When I bought this house, the utility sink would drain really slow (I am talking overnight). I treated it daily for about a week and that opened it up. It gets a once a month dose to keep things clear. The bathroom sinks were the same (but not quite as bad), and now drain properly as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay