Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,830 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Tampa in December and my daughter is considering UT for the spring of 2015. Do the students like it? Is it a safe campus?

Would really like anyone's thoughts on UT.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 12:24 PM

148 posts, read 377,510 times
It's a city campus, and it's open, so occasional problems arise. Mostly to students walking alone outside the gates late at night. I work at the library, and it's a lovely campus.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
I think it's a good school, but I only see it as an outsider who visits the area a lot to attend performances at the Straz Performing Arts. My personal opinion is that all the areas around the U of T should be traveled with caution, especially after hours when the worker-bees are long gone. There was a student runner who was unfortunately murdered nearby the area while running in the wee hours of the night/morning. There are a lot of homeless in the vicinity of the school who can present with psychiatric problems and be a nuisance and/or danger. The school has a good reputation academically, from my understanding - good luck with the decision.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Thank you for sharing. I do have my concerns about her safety there. Her high school sweetheart died tragically and it's hard living in the same place and going to the same school. We thought a change might help. When your grieving your head is not usually thinking about your own safety unfortunately.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:06 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,013,577 times
The area west of and north of, which had typically been a trouble area is changing I see a lot of new construction and gentrification taking place, of course it takes a while.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,657,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reseblossom View Post
Thank you for sharing. I do have my concerns about her safety there. Her high school sweetheart died tragically and it's hard living in the same place and going to the same school. We thought a change might help. When your grieving your head is not usually thinking about your own safety unfortunately.
As a mother that has a daughter up in UF (Gainesville)that currently has a rapist who has attacked young coeds at different locals on the actual campus I feel your pain...I went up and stayed with her when the attacks first happened so I could drive her to her late classes and pick her up...but I can't stay forever...so I worry constantly...hoping she leaves class with a group and waits for her ride inside the school...I'm sorry for your daughters loss... must be so sad to see your child hurting from such a tragedy...

Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 PM

11 posts, read 13,473 times
I think many public or private universities will have a few surrounding areas that are not considered safe (UF alum). I used to live in downtown Tampa for 3 years right across from UT and never felt in danger even while walking my dog at night. I would advise not to visit the nearby Walmart at odd hours though alone. Or at all if needed. Go to Trader Joes or Publix. You just have to use caution and good judgment. UT is a great school with a beautiful campus though. Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 AM

Thank you Irishiis49 you're a great mom! I've come to realize the older they get the bigger our worries are for them. Living in a small town has it advantages but it's also a place where everyone knows your story. It makes it harder to rebuild a new life. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:21 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Florida has some amazing colleges. Unfortunately, none of them reside in Tampa. Keep in mind that both UF and FSU are rated in the top 100.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:46 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,896,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M&J View Post
It's a city campus, and it's open, so occasional problems arise. Mostly to students walking alone outside the gates late at night. I work at the library, and it's a lovely campus.
Walking alone and at night is what brings problems for girls.
Mom2 works there so she should know a lot about the campus.
Sorry about what happened to your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay