Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 PM

46 posts, read 52,648 times

Advertisements

Have arrived in Tampa after spending about 1 week in W. Palm. Have to say I feel some culture shock, relatively speaking. Had been to Tampa years ago and visited Bush Gardens and Dali museum, both awesome! But against the backdrop of SE Fla visit, Tampa doesn't feel much like a city.

The drive down Rte 60 was fun and scenic. Love the single lane 70 MPH - hear the cars in the next lane whizzing by at 70 MPH going the other direction. As I got closer to Tampa I kept wondering to myself; where are all the buildings indicating I am approaching the city? Where is all the development? I kept expecting to see more but I did not see much of anything except traffic on Rte 4 and kept wondering where is everyone heading too? I don't see anything.

I am staying in Temple Terrace and there is very little to do here (Went to Lettuce Park, very nice). I was surprised given I am ~10 miles from the city and FSU is here. Went to Y'bor city this afternoon, and though it was fun and interesting, I do not see myself going back there nor is it a place I would be drawn to. The restaurants, stores and overall vibe here has an "old southern city" feeling about it.

So, I started wondering is Tampa more aptly thought of as a city that grew up around a shipping port, which without would otherwise be a rural area.

Not being provocative, rather inquisitive to figure out suitability.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:30 PM

156 posts, read 193,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepoint128 View Post
So, I started wondering is Tampa more aptly thought of as a city that grew up around a shipping port, which without would otherwise be a rural area.
Yeah, pretty much. A local news personality once said (paraphrasing here) that Tampa isn't so much a city as a huge suburb with a downtown core plopped in the middle of it.

It's great for a slower pace of life, if that's what you want, but if you're looking for a "city that feels like a city," Tampa probably isn't it.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:10 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Tampa is a city that, without Ybor city, wouldn't still be a city.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 AM

434 posts, read 530,699 times
I've heard locals joke that "there's no there, there" when describing this area to outsiders.

Tampa has extremely limited options for urban living, so it generally comes off as being pretty unimpressive for anyone expecting the kind of urban vibe common in cities of such size/population throughout the world. Moreover, the very concept of urban development built for people not cars (which means build up, not out), is abhorred by the voting majority here. And the places that are built up a bit, are still forming (small in scale), and they are generally segregated from each other by miles of low density sprawl.

If you want to drive around on some roads in the Tampa area that are more visually impressive. I could detail a list of them so you could check them out in Google Streetview and see if any are worth your time. Taking such drives is actually a bit of an obsession of mine when I travel. Sunday's a good day for going out and rubbernecking. Just stay away from Raymond James Stadium, and Dale Mabry Hwy, Hillsborough Ave and I-275 near it from like 11am to 1pm and from like 3:30-5:30pm). Bucs are playing the Saints.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Sorry you're disappointed - obviously not every city suits everyone's personal needs. The area has three major league sports franchise, several minor league baseball, minor league soccer, a couple of universities (U of T, USF), a world class orchestra, a major stop for rock concerts and Broadway plays. The Gulf brings some great fishing and beaches nearby Tampa - and beautiful sunsets.

The Republicans had their presidential convention (Romney) here several years ago and the area has hosted a couple of Super Bowls.

Just a quick minor point, but FSU isn't here - it's up in Tallahassee.

As far as saying Tampa isn't a city - what are you using for comparison? NYC? Boston? Chicago? SF? Of course these cities are more dense, populated, and have a sense of development/infrastructure -

Downtown Tampa is being developed along Channelside. There are parks downtown (Curtis Hixon) - U of Tampa, Hillsborough River - explore the Riverwalk area, Museum of History areas down near the convention center.

International airport if one of the best that I've been to - and I've been to most major airports in the USA and Europe.

There's some development downtown to make the area more people friendly -

Jeff Vinik unveils long-awaited vision plan for Channelside, downtown Tampa

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Have arrived in Tampa after spending about 1 week in W. Palm. Have to say I feel some culture shock, relatively speaking. Had been to Tampa years ago and visited Bush Gardens and Dali museum, both awesome! But against the backdrop of SE Fla visit, Tampa doesn't feel much like a city.

The drive down Rte 60 was fun and scenic. Love the single lane 70 MPH - hear the cars in the next lane whizzing by at 70 MPH going the other direction. As I got closer to Tampa I kept wondering to myself; where are all the buildings indicating I am approaching the city? Where is all the development? I kept expecting to see more but I did not see much of anything except traffic on Rte 4 and kept wondering where is everyone heading too? I don't see anything.

I am staying in Temple Terrace and there is very little to do here (Went to Lettuce Park, very nice). I was surprised given I am ~10 miles from the city and FSU is here. Went to Y'bor city this afternoon, and though it was fun and interesting, I do not see myself going back there nor is it a place I would be drawn to. The restaurants, stores and overall vibe here has an "old southern city" feeling about it.

Not being provocative, rather inquisitive to figure out suitability.
I wouldn't expect it to be anything like the area your planning to relocate from. If you do, overall your going to be terribly disappointed.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:11 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Tampa has changed by leaps and bounds since I moved here a few years ago, but it is not (and may not be for a very long time) an urban metropolis. It is what it is. If you move here and expect it to magically transform into whatever place you left, save yourself the heartache and stay where you are.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Tampa has changed by leaps and bounds since I moved here a few years ago, but it is not (and may not be for a very long time) an urban metropolis. It is what it is. If you move here and expect it to magically transform into whatever place you left, save yourself the heartache and stay where you are.
This, in a nutshell ^^^.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 PM

156 posts, read 193,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Yeah. I talk down about Tampa a lot, in large part because I'm used to the way it was in the '00s, but I'll admit it's improving rapidly.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:29 PM

434 posts, read 530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The Republicans had their presidential convention (Romney) here several years ago and the area has hosted a couple of Super Bowls.
Yeah, and both groups gave the area abysmal reviews and will not be back any time soon. So did the Bollywood people last year, and the NCAA when they brought the Final Four here.

Quote:
Tampa isn't a city - what are you using for comparison? NYC? Boston? Chicago? SF? Of course these cities are more dense, populated, and have a sense of development/infrastructure -
How about Denver, Austin, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, St Louis, San Diego, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, DC, Cincinnati, Philly, New Orleans, LA, Miami... Just keep naming sizable cities, they're all more urbane than Tampa.

Quote:
Downtown Tampa is being developed along Channelside. There are parks downtown (Curtis Hixon) - U of Tampa, Hillsborough River - explore the Riverwalk area, Museum of History areas down near the convention center.
Right, but again it's really hard to find comparable cities in the US that have a less impressive urban core than Tampa. Maybe San Jose? Who else? Orlando and Phoenix might be arguable, but they both have transit, larger office markets and even more investment activity than Tampa does with the Vinik project.

So yeah, Tampa is more urban than San Jose. You got us there.

Tampa is behind virtually the entire nation, including many cities which are much smaller in scale. Hell, DT Sarasota still kicks DT Tampa's ass for livability.

Quote:
International airport if one of the best that I've been to - and I've been to most major airports in the USA and Europe.
No doubt about that. It is the region's infrastructural crown jewel.

Last edited by JasonAnc; 12-28-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay