Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 AM

83 posts, read 287,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Moderator cut: comment

There are many areas of Florida that you can get a BRAND new 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage home in a gated community for $130,000.
Some people, such as yourself, like to live life with blinders on. Not knowing what is going on outside of your little circle.
If you would have taken the time to actually read the post I stated that the $85,000 home needed a good bit of repair.
Not all areas are like Miami where you are, where a shack will cost you $300,000.

Edit: Just needed to add, the house I spoke of is in a county that has had 8 homicides over the last 5 years as opposed to Dade county's 300 or so a YEAR.
Sorry but that information is completely erroneous,

First at all, you don't have any idea of who I am nor what's my knowledge of the city of Tampa, so keep away from making any assumptions on that topic.

Secondly, the initial poster of this thread, asked for a livable "house" that cost less than 100 thousand dollars (-100k) and not for an apartment that cost 130k or a flip over as you claim to have. There is quite a difference on that, almost 31% more of her initially proposed budget.

and Third, there are properties in Miami for about 300k in humble and decent neighborhoods. Not that I have any experience in that price range but I just found several listings in Realtor.com that are not bad at all. and don't even compare Miami with Tampa... It's like comparing what New York city has to offer with ClearWater, FL... unless you're into Scientology...

There aren't houses in Tampa that cost less than 100k. Period. Only "shack-like flip overs" in bad parts of town like Spainbrit explained in her previous post. I like her direct and honest approach towards the problem and I can see that she is a reliable realtor at first hand because of her outright honesty and accurate information on the matter.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Keeper; 01-11-2008 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Just to set the record straight. Mike is a realtor in Spring Hill FL not Tampa.

I have to assume your reference to an apt is the size of the house, as I did not find an apt mentioned in his post.

Now..please everyone calm down. We are here to help the OP.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Just to set the record straight. Mike is a realtor in Spring Hill FL not Tampa.

I have to assume your reference to an apt is the size of the house, as I did not find an apt mentioned in his post.

Now..please everyone calm down. We are here to help the OP.
Yep, you're right. My intention was trying to help the OP with her relocation plans. It seems that she doesn't have a large budget on hand, also she is planning to open a Hair Salon once she arrives in Tampa.

With my comment about the apt. you're right, I meant that the size of the house must be very tight in terms of square footage, since 130k in todays standards is relatively low compared with the actual housing market value of the city and its outskirts, excluding bad parts of town of course.

Moderator cut: referral

Last edited by Keeper; 01-11-2008 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: send a DM with referral

Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenaud View Post
O.K, there are a lot of strip clubs and adult entertainments. Is there anything else one should be aware of moving to Tampa. I am from Long Island, NY and am looking to move to Tampa (not sure of the city yet, I'm thinking Brandon or Ruskin)? What are some of the good stuff? where are the good schools or should I stick to private schools? I want to open a beauty salon, would it do well? I'm use to the XXX issues living in NY, not that I have that issue in my community but millionaires living in Manhattan pass tons of strip clubs, xxx move stores etc.. going home. It does stop people from wanting to move to NY.
Nevetheless, I want a house not exceeding $100k, is that crazy? I see houses online for $50k and higher, should I stay away? Yes ya'll I am running from high taxes, high mortgages, high EVERYTHING in NY. Please advise, thank you.
New Yorkers LOVE Tampa. There are lots of NY transplants in the area. You will notice more strip clubs and adult entertainment compared to other cities BUT anyone who tries to say they are on every corner and every block is an extreme exaggeration. Its not like wherever you go you will pass a strip club, its not like that at all. There are a couple areas where they are mostly concentrated and that is Largo (in Pinellas) and one area on Dale Mabry Hwy. There may be a few otehr areas but I am not aware of those.

As far as housing, you will not find anything close to what you are looking for in Tampa. If you get up into Pasco county (Hudson, New Port Richey, ect...) you might start to see "livable" homes for 120k and up. The downside is that this area is far from good nightlife, and most of the area is pretty run down in my opinion.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
New Yorkers LOVE Tampa. There are lots of NY transplants in the area. You will notice more strip clubs and adult entertainment compared to other cities BUT anyone who tries to say they are on every corner and every block is an extreme exaggeration. Its not like wherever you go you will pass a strip club, its not like that at all. There are a couple areas where they are mostly concentrated and that is Largo (in Pinellas) and one area on Dale Mabry Hwy. There may be a few otehr areas but I am not aware of those.

As far as housing, you will not find anything close to what you are looking for in Tampa. If you get up into Pasco county (Hudson, New Port Richey, ect...) you might start to see "livable" homes for 120k and up. The downside is that this area is far from good nightlife, and most of the area is pretty run down in my opinion.
good job for the impartial comment which I totally agree with.

There are actually many nice areas in Tampa and not everything has to be around the bad parts of town as you well mention. The only problem could be the driving distance for the ones that work in downtown. Otherwise, there are plenty of great communities out there like New Tampa, Brandon etc with fairly anything anyone may need to live, shopping related.

Near the city downtown, one of my favorite parts is Soho, which is close to some neat nightlife and with all the advantages the city has to offer.

There is a small free magazine call Soho, or thats how it was called, they may had change the name. This magazine is about advertisement, and show articles about the business owners of the Soho Zip code area. A great resource of information for newcomers to find out what's going there AND a potential advertisement tool/place for a new business trying to be noticed.

Last edited by William Hamilton; 01-11-2008 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Default Nonsense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
Come on, I know that today is a difficult time for realtors, and many are in search of a sale in this forum, (frequented by newcomers to the area), but lets just tell the truth to your clients for a change , they are humans too!!

a home in the $100,000 range is just a "filthy shack" filled with "gigantic cockroaches" and "disgusting moldy walls" that could kill you after living and breathing it for few months.

Today, no one can buy anything "livable" in Florida for less than $100,000. Period!

Your post could not be further from the truth.

To say that it's a difficult time for Realtors is pretty narrow. I attended a meeting yesterday where 20+ real estate brokers are currently operating in the black with many of them buying property now. Those who are prepared to buy in a down market and investors from outside the US are actively doing so. And to characterize Realtors as not telling the truth is another misnomer. Yes, there are bad people in every industry, but some of us just like helping others.

And to speak to the OP's question, you can buy a nice block home in Sun City for less than $100K all day long. There is also an inventory of bank-owned homes and pre-foreclosures just begging for short sale offers. I didn't parse through them, but there are 290 single family homes under $100K in Hillsborough on the retail market to choose from today. Add townhouses, villas, and condos, there are another 278. Obviously not every property will meet the poster's requirements, but out of that many, finding one should certainly be doable.

P.S. Recently I helped a lady buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1400SF block home with an inground concrete pool in Gibsonton for $105,000. The home is also a block from the Alafia River.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 01-11-2008 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Added P.S.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,916 times
As I've read many posts by TampaKaren I'm left with the impression that she knows what she's talking about, and thoroughly knows the real estate market in the Tampa Bay area .

The homes she referenced are in communities outside of Tampa proper where the land values are lower, which in turn translates to lower prices (at least that's what I've always believed).

To buy a home in metro Tampa for 100k or less is a different story altogether.....I rarely see them listed. And when they are listed they are in less desirable areas. A buyer would have to factor in to his/her homeowner expenses a budget for defensive weapons -- personally I would opt for the commemorative edition Reginald Denny roof mounted turret Gatlin gun, replete with night vision scope.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post

Your post could not be further from the truth.

To say that it's a difficult time for Realtors is pretty narrow. I attended a meeting yesterday where 20+ real estate brokers are currently operating in the black with many of them buying property now. Those who are prepared to buy in a down market and investors from outside the US are actively doing so. And to characterize Realtors as not telling the truth is another misnomer. Yes, there are bad people in every industry, but some of us just like helping others.

And to speak to the OP's question, you can buy a nice block home in Sun City for less than $100K all day long. There is also an inventory of bank-owned homes and pre-foreclosures just begging for short sale offers. I didn't parse through them, but there are 290 single family homes under $100K in Hillsborough on the retail market to choose from today. Add townhouses, villas, and condos, there are another 278. Obviously not every property will meet the poster's requirements, but out of that many, finding one should certainly be doable.

P.S. Recently I helped a lady buy a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1400SF block home with an inground concrete pool in Gibsonton for $105,000. The home is also a block from the Alafia River.
so if the market is doing so good as you claim.... why are the major lending companies laying off thousands of employees or going out of business?

Bankruptcies and foreclosures are at an all time high and in the headlines of every major paper today, as is the case with Countrywide, which in fact was acquired by Bank of America just recently to save it from going out of business. There are even rumors of an upcoming recession in our country because of the housing problem and further predictions are pointing to the final of 2008 as the pick time for the economic crash.

If as you said, these are good times for the housing market, I don't understand why many people are unable to sell their houses and secondly why are the prices dropping. I can tell you that many properties listed in the market have dropped their asking price by 25 to 40%, and this is just the beginning, does that sound like good times to you?

Well, for the rest of us it doesn't.

Of course, we are aware of the few cases where some "investors" with deep pockets maybe taking advantage of the dropping prices in real estate, but these are very isolated cases. Remember, buying is easy, the problem is "selling" your investment. To those "smart investors" they'd better be ready to keep their properties for many years to come, including payment of community fees and taxes on such properties for all those years ahead and to be financially ready for the worst, not being able to sell when needed. I run a business myself and have learned to be very careful and realistic when dealing with investments, or you could be sorry.

And to characterize Realtors as not telling the truth is another misnomer. Yes, there are bad people in every industry, but some of us just like helping others.

Ma'am I never said that "Realtors" are not telling the truth, that's completely inaccurate, I said that "some realtors" are not being honest with the actual situation of the market and with the current pricing in some specific areas and indeed I pointed out "a good realtor" that is active on this forum but it was erased by a moderator.

Last edited by William Hamilton; 01-11-2008 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
so if the market is doing so good as you claim.... why are the major lending companies laying off thousands of employees or going out of business?

Bankruptcies and foreclosures are at an all time high and in the headlines of every major paper today, as is the case with Countrywide, which in fact was acquired by Bank of America just recently to save it from going out of business. There are even rumors of an upcoming recession in our country because of this problems and further predictions are pointing to the final of 2008 as the pick time for the economic crash.

If as you said, these are good times for the housing market, I don't understand why many people are unable to sell their houses and secondly why are the prices dropping. I can tell you that many properties listed in the market have dropped their asking price by 25 to 40%, and this is just the beginning, does that sound like good times to you?

Well, for the rest of us it doesn't.

Of course, we are aware of the few cases where some "investors" with deep pockets maybe taking advantage of the dropping prices in real estate, but these are very isolated cases. Remember, buying is easy, the problem is "selling" your investment. To those "smart investors" they'd better be ready to keep their properties for many years to come, including payment of community fees and taxes on such properties for all those years ahead and to be financially ready for the worst, not being able to sell when needed. I run a business myself and have learned to be very careful and realistic when dealing with investments, or you could be sorry.

And to characterize Realtors as not telling the truth is another misnomer. Yes, there are bad people in every industry, but some of us just like helping others.

Ma'am I never said that "Realtors" are not telling the truth, that's completely ridiculous, I said that "some realtors" are not being completely honest with the actual situation of the market and with the current pricing in some specific areas and indeed I pointed out "a good realtor" that is active on this forum but it was erased by a moderator.
Its not that the housing market is in a complete craphole right now, the market is simply readjusting itself for years of over-inflation and money being handed out to people with poor credit who could never afford the home in the first place. All these people who thought they were going to get rich on their home because of the insane inflation over the past few years are getting a reality check while the people who drop their prices to what the market should be will be the people who sell first. People are going to have to get used to lower home prices. They were higher than the market could handle, and it finally snapped. Hey, I'm not complaining. I will be buying a home soon as long as the market stays as is I will be getting more home than I would have 3 years ago.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Its not that the housing market is in a complete craphole right now, the market is simply readjusting itself for years of over-inflation and money being handed out to people with poor credit who could never afford the home in the first place. All these people who thought they were going to get rich on their home because of the insane inflation over the past few years are getting a reality check while the people who drop their prices to what the market should be will be the people who sell first. People are going to have to get used to lower home prices. They were higher than the market could handle, and it finally snapped. Hey, I'm not complaining. I will be buying a home soon as long as the market stays as is I will be getting more home than I would have 3 years ago.
it's not a bad point what you said, but i wish it were just as good as you described. It's not a bad time to invest, if you have the money, but wait a little bit more and you'll get even more additional savings. Prices are dropping as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay