Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 AM

15 posts, read 16,321 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here live in an rv full time? We are not retirement age but are moving to the area within 2 yrs. We want to do a version of tiny house living and spending the least amount of money. I have looked at manufactured homes and rv's and have decided that the travel trailer suits our needs best. That being said I would have to show a permenant address to send my kids to school. Has anyone done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
1. To register your kids to school here you have to be in the school boundary. Not many trailer parks are within school boundaries.

2. Even with the choice program, which is a lottery, you still need an actual address. This is a crap shoot because either you don't get in, or the school stops participating. So, then you end up having to move the kids from school to school.

3. I am not sure you'd think it's "cheap" to live in an RV! You still need to power it up, eat, and pay for the spot.

There are many homes around here that aren't MacMansions, so I am sure you can find a better solution. "Cheap" in Florida means nasty parts of town, being surrounded by nasty people.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Youtube is filled with examples of fulltimers - unfortuante sign of the times, but I understand when you don't want be be burdened by a mortgage, rent, or other expenses and allows you flexibility to get up and go as needed (ie work requirements). I follow several RVers (younger folks) on Youtube that are doing this. Follow The Hearts is a good channel to visit - young couple w/ young kids. Tough way of life, if you ask me. Good luck. There are many RV campgrounds, but the winter months get a ton of retirees who snowbird and stay until about April/1 May, so you might be fighting them for sites.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 AM

I have looked in apartments, condos and houses. An rv, loaded, is under 30K for what we would need. lot rents are 400-600 per month. eating would be buying groceries. so for us it would be a huge savings and we would have the rv paid off in 7 years.

I really need to decide on the whole schooling thing.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Thankyou both!! I have been reading rv forums and they tell you how to establish a permenant residence but I need to call some schools down there and see what they require.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Like someone living in a permanent home, you'd really need to look at where you'd be working and commute times, etc before getting an exact school district (I'm guessing). You know some of these sites, even the 55+, might offer you a spot if you'd consider providing a few hours of help (work) in cleaning, landscaping, serving as a host. Possilby the area state parks might offer the same sort of deal - guess those jobs usually go to older folks/retirees with a lot of time on their hands.

BTW, S. Hillsborough has a huge new Amazon warehouse which might be good work, maybe season. I know one fulltimer who did Amazon for awhile and lived in a small Casita travel trailer with a cat and a roommate. She's been comfortably living in that 17 ft rig for nearly 2-3 yrs, I imagine. There are folks I know who have lived in travel trailers for up to a decade (along)......takes getting used to but it is a cost-sparing way to survive the times.

S. Hillsborough County seems to have a few RV camps and nearby Manatee county has a state park with RV camping as well.....just some options. Good that you're projecting a couple years out.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwAV7UVjTk

Old 07-17-2015, 08:33 PM

279 posts, read 508,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawojo5 View Post
I have looked in apartments, condos and houses. An rv, loaded, is under 30K for what we would need. lot rents are 400-600 per month. eating would be buying groceries. so for us it would be a huge savings and we would have the rv paid off in 7 years.

I really need to decide on the whole schooling thing.
RV's depreciate so fast so much, better to get one that's a few years old.

But they don't make them like they use to. Some have new RV's with leaks on the roof which is bad news. You will want one with a full size fridge IMO.

Walls in RV's are very thin which means that AC and heater will be working constantly depending on weather. Don't know how they charge or if lot rent includes heat, electric, sewage, water and etc.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
My husband is in the RV business...not sure what loaded rv is under 30k?...Also when it's paid off in 7 years it will be virtually worthless...it's not like a home that can potentially appreciate...previous poster is correct that rv's depreciate the greatest in the first two years...so buy a 2012-2013...and research on-line about different manufacturers...they vary greatly in quality and even good lines can have off years or bad models...so again due diligence...

Old 07-18-2015, 02:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawojo5 View Post
Does anyone on here live in an rv full time? We are not retirement age but are moving to the area within 2 yrs. We want to do a version of tiny house living and spending the least amount of money. I have looked at manufactured homes and rv's and have decided that the travel trailer suits our needs best. That being said I would have to show a permenant address to send my kids to school. Has anyone done this?
How many kids....even just 2 kids plus 2 parents = pretty crowded in an RV, full-time. Tiny spaces are fine for singles or a couple, but the logistics with kids, as they grow, seems burdensome on the family. I can't imagine 2 adults and 2 teens in an RV being very happy full-time. Friends of mine growing up would RV with their family (2 parents, 2 kids) and after a 4 week trip, everyone was glad to get back to their regular house!

People, including kids need privacy, space to study, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: