Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 10,715 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an older home to fix up as a vacation rental and future retirement home for me and my spouse. We'd eventually like to have a boat and our own boat dock, so we plan to buy on a canal. We are looking at some homes in Coquina Key, some on treasure lane/sun isle lane near Riviera bay and also in Shore Acres. We won't have a mortgage so I'm not immediately concerned about flood insurance - although I do worry how that will affect resale down the road. I know the best thing is to spend a few weeks in each area, but we don't have that time due to our work schedules. What are the pros and cons of those areas? I've read that near Coquina Key can be a little sketchy and I have reviewed crime maps for each of these areas.

Or should we forget about having our own boat dock and focus on a neighborhood like old northeast St. Pete and renovate there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Coquina Key proper aint a bad area you just have to drive through a sketchy area to get to it..

Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,627,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorenovate View Post
I'm looking for an older home to fix up as a vacation rental and future retirement home for me and my spouse. We'd eventually like to have a boat and our own boat dock, so we plan to buy on a canal. We are looking at some homes in Coquina Key, some on treasure lane/sun isle lane near Riviera bay and also in Shore Acres. We won't have a mortgage so I'm not immediately concerned about flood insurance - although I do worry how that will affect resale down the road. I know the best thing is to spend a few weeks in each area, but we don't have that time due to our work schedules. What are the pros and cons of those areas? I've read that near Coquina Key can be a little sketchy and I have reviewed crime maps for each of these areas.

Or should we forget about having our own boat dock and focus on a neighborhood like old northeast St. Pete and renovate there?
I believe there are some areas of Old Northeast that are out of the flood zones. It might be a good idea to consider that option and rent a slip at the municipal marina downtown for your boat. The marina usually has a wait list.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,081,210 times
Be aware that vacation homes have to be in areas where short term letting is allowed - much of residential Pinellas does not allow this. People to ignore it though. I believe there is a 30 day limit generally in Pinellas, but many cities and HOAs override this with longer minimum stays.
Resale on waterfront can be a problem due to flood ins, depends, if its high end, most buyers can afford it, if its a regular home you could be asking for problems, unless you rebuild and make it higher living levels. Nothing better than having your own boat dock, if you have to drive to your boat and get it in and out of marinas, its not the same as having the boat outside your back door. There are many areas along intracoastal that might work too, consider those also.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM

Can you show me the regulations that don't permit short term rentals? What I read is that there are laws from 2011 that it can't be locally prohibited and the only issue is paying the proper lodging taxes to the city? I know there's an issue in Gulfport with a previous law (prior to 2011) - but I'm not looking at Gulfport at all. Also I believe all the areas I've mentioned don't have HOAs - so there wouldn't' be any additional restrictions there. But let me know... this is certainly pertinent info for me.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Coquina Key proper aint a bad area you just have to drive through a sketchy area to get to it..
That really depends on where you're coming from and not dissimilar to most American cities.

To the OP - I highly recommend Waterside at Coquina Key South( not to be confused with Waterside at Coquina Key North which is very different) which is a mixture of snowbirds and permanent residents. There are properties available which have boat docks right outside.

You might wish to consider a rental for a while to get the feel of the place.

As for re-sale prices have gone up 20% in the past 18 months.

St Petersburg Condo Rentals waterfront apartments Waterside Coquina Key

Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That really depends on where you're coming from and not dissimilar to most American cities.

To the OP - I highly recommend Waterside at Coquina Key South( not to be confused with Waterside at Coquina Key North which is very different) which is a mixture of snowbirds and permanent residents. There are properties available which have boat docks right outside.

I've got 45 days to purchase a property or I pay the tax gain on my prior rental property... so I'd really like to buy sooner rather than later and prices do seem to be rising in the area. I want a single family home - not a condo.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 PM

245 posts, read 219,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Be aware that vacation homes have to be in areas where short term letting is allowed - much of residential Pinellas does not allow this. People to ignore it though. I believe there is a 30 day limit generally in Pinellas, but many cities and HOAs override this with longer minimum stays.
Resale on waterfront can be a problem due to flood ins, depends, if its high end, most buyers can afford it, if its a regular home you could be asking for problems, unless you rebuild and make it higher living levels. Nothing better than having your own boat dock, if you have to drive to your boat and get it in and out of marinas, its not the same as having the boat outside your back door. There are many areas along intracoastal that might work too, consider those also.
I have never heard of this... most of St. Pete, and a good hunk of pinellas is not under HOA covenants of any kind

Old 02-19-2015, 05:23 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,526,905 times
I think I remember Shore Acres is built kinda low and sometimes has a flood problem, it might just be a few streets in the neighborhood are lower than others. Google "Shore Acres flood problem" and might learn more about it.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:58 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,167,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post

Which is which though? Isn't the entire complex Coquina Key Waterside? thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay