Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 AM

9 posts, read 9,534 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Tampa in a few months as a new PhD student and am looking for housing options. What is the best way to find housing without being in town? I live much to far to come beforehand unfortunately. I have tried searching Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments (this site allows me to put in the criteria of a 30 min bike ride and highlights listed apartments from various other sites like Craig's), and have tried even looking at Google maps and "driving" around some streets (Amberly Dr., Bruce B. Downs, Livingston, Temple Terrace Hwy). I've spotted a few apartment complexes and maybe 1 or 2 condos/townhomes. I was told to stay away from anything a few miles just south of campus... I've heard that Busch Gardens area extending to maybe 56th (?) is a sketchy area. Would TT Hwy be a caution area? North of Campus was recommended, specifically being Tampa Palms, but what about Northwest, heading toward Lutz?

Ideally, I would find a place that is within ~15 min drive or ~30 bike ride. Should I just keep searching padmapper in hopes that something will turn up? Any thoughts on any of these areas? When talking to students in my program the consensus seems to be that Tampa Palms is known to be safe, but a bit more expensive and particularly Amberly Dr. has several complexes that are close to campus. I have seen reviews of these places though with reports of mold and bugs , so I hesitate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:47 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,084,784 times
Honestly, not sure about roads up there for bike riding - they are busy and dangerous - but others will let you know if there are safe routes. Most of the places you mention are pretty well ok, if its cheap there is a reason with accommodation in Tampa. Good luck with your PhD

Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,028,339 times
Roads to bike on around USF are not the best (they're pretty congested) HOWEVER, Lettuce Lake Park is around the corner, and that would be a nice area to bike.

Temple Terrace would be a relatively quiet area for a student going to USF. If it were up to me, though, I'd find a nice spot in Seminole Heights and simply make the commute.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,622,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyln View Post
I will be moving to Tampa in a few months as a new PhD student and am looking for housing options. What is the best way to find housing without being in town? I live much to far to come beforehand unfortunately. I have tried searching Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments (this site allows me to put in the criteria of a 30 min bike ride and highlights listed apartments from various other sites like Craig's), and have tried even looking at Google maps and "driving" around some streets (Amberly Dr., Bruce B. Downs, Livingston, Temple Terrace Hwy). I've spotted a few apartment complexes and maybe 1 or 2 condos/townhomes. I was told to stay away from anything a few miles just south of campus... I've heard that Busch Gardens area extending to maybe 56th (?) is a sketchy area. Would TT Hwy be a caution area? North of Campus was recommended, specifically being Tampa Palms, but what about Northwest, heading toward Lutz?

Ideally, I would find a place that is within ~15 min drive or ~30 bike ride. Should I just keep searching padmapper in hopes that something will turn up? Any thoughts on any of these areas? When talking to students in my program the consensus seems to be that Tampa Palms is known to be safe, but a bit more expensive and particularly Amberly Dr. has several complexes that are close to campus. I have seen reviews of these places though with reports of mold and bugs , so I hesitate.
Lutz is way too far to bike to USF! & generally here it's not a good idea to bike on these very congested roads.
Look in new Tampa, Seminole Heights is too close to the riff raff...

Old 04-08-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
If it were up to me, though, I'd find a nice spot in Seminole Heights and simply make the commute.
Why do you suggest Seminole Heights? A fellow student in my program lives there and says the area is hit or miss in terms of safety, but due to gentrification, it's up and coming.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:58 AM

The roads being congested in my mind is not much of a deterrent for biking. I currently live in Pittsburgh where people have to worry about getting hit by buses. From what I've seen of the roads, many have bike lanes and biking on sidewalks in Tampa is actually legal from what I have gathered. Besides, Tampa is rated higher as a bike commuting city than Pittsburgh, where I currently live and people bike here all the time.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,622,100 times
Quote:
The roads being congested in my mind is not much of a deterrent for biking. I currently live in Pittsburgh where people have to worry about getting hit by buses. From what I've seen of the roads, many have bike lanes and biking on sidewalks in Tampa is actually legal from what I have gathered. Besides, Tampa is rated higher as a bike commuting city than Pittsburgh, where I currently live and people bike here all the time.
Yeah, we drive through Pittsburgh once...I don't know how the heck anyone can bike there with all those hills! We haven't seen anyone biking...

Here it's really bike on your own accord. I wouldn't bike on these roads if you paid me. Way too many people here are driving recklessly, and are uninsured too!

Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,028,339 times
Quote:
Why do you suggest Seminole Heights? A fellow student in my program lives there and says the area is hit or miss in terms of safety, but due to gentrification, it's up and coming.
Seminole Heights is definitely up and coming. And gentrification is definitely taking place there. I'd stick closer to Florida than I would Nebraska. You'll get local restaurants, local bars, strange and unique shops, and local parks. Not to mention you'd be within a 5 minute drive of Ybor and Downtown. And it'll be much cheaper to live there than South Tampa, Downtown, or Ybor.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:17 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,615,968 times
I think you should listen to your colleagues and go with the 33647 zip code. They recommended it for a reason. If you're not familiar with the area, you open up yourself to be scammed. That said, you can search local apartment rentals also on ApartmentGuide.com. You will have to Google/Bing for additional information, legitimate phone numbers, amenities, actual prices, etc. As with most others, they're in the advertising business. There are a couple of decent apartment complexes just east of USF on Fletcher, e.g., Carlton Arms North and The Falls (both have their own websites and both are bikeable(sp?) to USF). There are a few more near the Hidden River Corporate Park though I know nothing about them. Beware of the management, they will tell you anything to get your signature and $$$ and after that it's too late. Ask others as you've done here for testimonials, experience, and opinions. Good luck with your studies and be safe.

P.S. Speaking to the biking, there are lanes specifically for bikers and I see them routinely. Just keep in mind that many of the highways in the area have 8 lanes so it can be dangerous in places. Bikers coming from New Tampa on 30th (Bruce B Downs) will take N 42nd Street and the campus is just a few blocks south. There's also ample bus transportation if you stay in the immediate USF area.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-08-2015 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 01:37 PM

306 posts, read 452,706 times
I recommend Tampa Palms/ New Tampa for a graduate student. Living too close to campus could mean lots of undergraduate students, therefore noisy nightly parties, etc.

Biking is a dangerous business around USF. You'll be at the mercy of (many) bad drivers riding huge cars.

Congrats on your admission, and good luck with your studies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay