Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 AM

184 posts, read 248,659 times

Advertisements

I moved from Ohio to St. Pete and I love it here. Some people like to complain about pretty much everything, especially internet forum posters. Don't let that dissuade you from making a move. Just make a trip down and check it out for yourself. Be sure to check out downtown St. Pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:52 AM

198 posts, read 224,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I think a lot of people make the mistake of moving to Florida without truly understanding what Florida really is- a retirement location where the benefit of no state income tax greatly helps people make it by on a fixed income. As a result, the transient population here is massive, with people arriving in droves...but they come here only to find a facade of what they thought it was.
You state that your business is thriving so employment is not an issue. I do not know what state you are coming from, but you need to keep in mind that income in Florida is definitely not comparable to other larger cities or locations outside of this state. Many people (not all) arrive here only to take a cut in pay in order to enjoy what natural pleasures Florida has to offer. I would do some serious research on similar businesses, comparable income, etc. before making the leap.
Tampa is crowded, and some areas DO offer entertainment in the form of nightlife (Channelside being one of those) that you can walk or bike to if you live in the pricey area near Channelside. Otherwise, you will most likely (based on the amount of money you can spend on a home) be somewhere in Palm Harbor or north of Tampa for that price range...in which case, bike riding on these horrific streets is a deadly proposition. Walking is much too far since things are so spread out. Or, you'll be hanging at some corner pub that you find your niche in without much variety unless you jump in your car and drive.
Trust me, people who comment negatively about Florida in this forum do not have an ulterior motive to "hog up" all the sunshine, margaritas and love bugs from others looking to relocate. I have lived for 25 years in Los Angeles, and 22 years here in the Tampa Bay area. I can say this about Tampa:
it is crowded and congested. You can find the nightlife you want, and there is certainly a lot of entertainment here for a younger crowd. It is not as crowded as LA, but the sprawl here is monstrous...things are so spread out here, they make LA look like a tiny town. Many people live in Pasco County or Hernando and commute to Tampa daily, in order to afford their homes and be in a quieter country setting. But they pay for it with horrendous traffic, commutes an hour long or more if there is one tiny accident on the only freeway headed into Tampa (I75 or the Suncoast). Everything you list can be found in Tampa. Airport, warehouse, close to night life, etc. But expand your home search well outside of Tampa- I'd suggest looking at Clearwater, North Tampa, Safety Harbor, or Palm Harbor. They are relatively close to St. Pete/Clearwater airport, the congestion is less, and the homes may be more affordable in certain areas.
Florida has everything transplants yearn for: beautiful weather, beautiful beaches, kayaking, biking, year-round outdoor activities, and the Florida lifestyle they envision.
But the tradeoffs for it are heavy traffic, terrible roadway planning, poor income, beautiful neighborhoods surrounded by mobile homes, odd people, and a feeling of being stuck in a flatland (this comes from my Cali days, where I miss the mountains, some snow, REAL mountain biking, and the beauty of a western sunset). To each his own. But do a LOT of research before making the move- people find that once they move to Florida, take a cut in pay and experience cheaper living, they are hard pressed to get back to where they want to be without a major change in their career. That's why I am stuck here, and awaiting retirement to head back out west.
Oh, and I concur with Gulfport also, nice area and affordable still.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is all very spot on. He doesn't leave anything out and its all true. And most people do take a big cut in pay.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:16 AM

198 posts, read 224,878 times
Isn't Gulfport mostly 55+ ?? Nothing wrong with that but the OP mentioned "nightlife". Gulfport might seem a little older than his demographic.. If he wants to date he needs to be in South Tampa or Downtown St Pete. If he want's the quiet life he loses out on the dating scene.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGuy View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is all very spot on. He doesn't leave anything out and its all true. And most people do take a big cut in pay.
OP has his own business.

Anyway to the OP, I suggest looking near downtown Tampa, downtown St. Pete, and also both Bradenton and Sarasota. Despite what some will tell you, there is plenty to do even for younger people in these towns, and the beaches are spectacular. Of course no beaches in Tampa, you have to drive for those. I don't get all the recs for Gulfport, I am a 65 year old woman who thought it was boring as hell - it's about two blocks long with two bars..... but whatever, some people like the sleepiness of such a tiny place.

OP, you said central Florida is out due to needing warehouse space. We used to live in Lakeland and that is like warehouse central. I read once that it second in the county (after LA!) for warehouse space! So you could live in Tampa and lease space around Lakeland/Polk County. Just a thought.

Anyway, only you can decide if any of our suggestions fill the bill. Do remember that if you want night life, you will have to deal with more congested areas. The Gulf coast is seasonal for tourists - several months of each year it will be packed with snowbirds and vacationers.

Good luck with it, I am sure you could find your paradise somewhere here!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
South Tampa. It will be expensive, but I have seen some fixer uppers going for cheaper prices. This was years ago. Not sure what's still there. Unfortunately, there's "no" beaches "in" Tampa.

https://youtu.be/qDlguw_LO6M

Then there's Downtown Tampa which only really has the crowds Monday-Friday 9-5. The Hub is a city wide favorite, and Curtis Hixon always has something going on. And, as far as walking and biking, it is probably the safest part of town to do it in. That's also not saying much as Tampa is a very dangerous city to walk and bike in.

I do have to show my love for Seminole Heights. Three of Tampa's craft breweries call the area home, as well as the local restaurants and bars. It's had a rough past, but they've spent the last ten years building the area up. You should be able to find a house in your price range somewhere in here.

Then there is Downtown St. Pete. I'd only really suggest this if you're totally against the idea of living in Tampa.

As for warehouse space, I believe there's a lot on Spruce St. There's also some available at Waters and Anderson.

Good luck. Hope that helped.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGuy View Post
Isn't Gulfport mostly 55+ ?? Nothing wrong with that but the OP mentioned "nightlife". Gulfport might seem a little older than his demographic.. If he wants to date he needs to be in South Tampa or Downtown St Pete. If he want's the quiet life he loses out on the dating scene.
There is a 55+ complex in Gulfport BUT not in the historic district.

Gulfport is pretty funky....my neighbors in a 2+ block radius are mostly singles, young professionals, some young families, working couples, also law students (Stetson Law is nearby). In fact we are the only retirees in the neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:23 AM

Maybe some of these links will give you a feel for Gulfport. Oh....got it wrong on O'Maddy's hours...they're open till 3AM daily!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHDSNaLJMo

Gulfport: A Quaint & Quirky Pinellas Beach Town

Gulfport is Quirky, Quaint and Open to All (PHOTOS)*|*Visit Florida

Gulfport banks on remaining quaint | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM

90 posts, read 122,437 times
Somebody mentioned Bradenton and Sarasota. I don't know about Bradenton but as far as Sarasota, I do understand the attraction but too many Thurston Howell 3rd types trolling about wearing crested jackets with ascots for my taste...and at the same time quite a few panhandlers in downtown. I thought it was a odd vibe.. Quite a few people in Sarasota pointed me in the direction of Pinellas County as far as fun places to be. I'm glad they did.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtguy111 View Post
Somebody mentioned Bradenton and Sarasota. I don't know about Bradenton but as far as Sarasota, I do understand the attraction but too many Thurston Howell 3rd types trolling about wearing crested jackets with ascots for my taste...and at the same time quite a few panhandlers in downtown. I thought it was a odd vibe.. Quite a few people in Sarasota pointed me in the direction of Pinellas County as far as fun places to be. I'm glad they did.
Well put!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Stereotypes are great.....can think of a few coming out of Pinellas as well,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay