Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 5,721 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am relocating to Tampa in the next couple months. I will be working in Brandon but I would prefer to live somewhere a little more central. I've been looking at Westshore which seems like a nice area, close enough to downtown and also has the international plaza nearby.

Would the commute from Westshore to Brandon be do-able?

Any other advice would be really appreciated. The apartments I've been looking at are : Camden westshore, Millenium and Varela

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I would think that would be a good commute. I'd use the Selmon Expressway - seems you'd be going in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I would think that would be a good commute. I'd use the Selmon Expressway - seems you'd be going in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic.
Thanks BucFan

Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
It really is centrally located - no too far from major arteries to get to St Pete, Clearwater. Westshore seems to be busy with activity whenever I'm around there. Airport is nearby as well as Bucs' stadium, Channelside, few other places.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM

229 posts, read 244,541 times
You will be going opposite the normal flow of traffic, so you should be fine... even if you dont drive the crosstown

Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 AM

really good to hear.. thanks for the replies

Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I don't think it will be too bad but keeping in mind that you will live west of downtown and have to drive through that everyday gives me pause. There will be lots of cars on Interstate 275 and even if you drive on highway 60 going east, both will take you through traffic in downtown Tampa. You might want to look at alternate routes on either MLK or Columbus. Fortunately, you have lots of commuting options!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I don't think it will be too bad but keeping in mind that you will live west of downtown and have to drive through that everyday gives me pause. There will be lots of cars on Interstate 275 and even if you drive on highway 60 going east, both will take you through traffic in downtown Tampa. You might want to look at alternate routes on either MLK or Columbus. Fortunately, you have lots of commuting options!

Thanks Karen. I think i could live with up to 30 mins each way - I'd plan to be leaving for work between 7 - 7.30 am which would hopefully be a little before rush hour.

would you have any thoughts on the apartments in westshore? I'll be moving from Ireland so I'm sure it will take me a while to figure all this out!

Old 04-20-2015, 12:57 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjG2015 View Post
Thanks Karen. I think i could live with up to 30 mins each way - I'd plan to be leaving for work between 7 - 7.30 am which would hopefully be a little before rush hour.

would you have any thoughts on the apartments in westshore? I'll be moving from Ireland so I'm sure it will take me a while to figure all this out!
I am not an apartment expert but I know the area well. Camden has a relatively good reputation and they have many complexes throughout the area, but they're old. Also, the Camden apartments are located in South Tampa so your commute to Brandon would be to drive the Selmon Expressway. It's a toll road but no traffic lights and it usually moves well. The Varela and Millennium apartments are very close to each other and nearby is another (mostly) owner occupied condo community called Villa Sonoma. They're also very close to the International Mall and the Tampa International Airport, a pro sports stadium, and several decent restaurants. I would wonder about the airport and highway noise. Grocery shopping and gas stations are not convenient to the area so you will need to scope those out to/from your work. Construction is not complete on the Varela Apartments and amenities are still missing (along with parking) according to recent reviews on Yelp Tampa. The Millennium was built in 2009.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-20-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 03:49 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjG2015 View Post

I have to believe that even though you'll be going against traffic for most of the way the congestion in general is going to make it a longer commute than 30 minutes, maybe more like 40. Getting from Westchase to the downtown area will be with everyone else who is commuting, so that part will be tough. 7:00-7:30 is pretty much a peak traffic time.

Realistically, I think you're probably talking more like 45 minutes depending on your route and where in Brandon you'll be located. Probably the same in the afternoon as well.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay