Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,399 times

Advertisements

This link settles this debate:

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/St._Petersburg/Downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 AM

49 posts, read 57,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't think weather should come into play when determining if an area is walkable, as some on here have done. A city/neighborhood is either walkable or it's not. Yes, our hot weather does play a factor in how enjoyable it is, but at the end of the day it doesn't affect how easy it is to live car-free or not.
I have lived in St. Petersburg FL (both downtown and a bit further up off of 4th street) without a car for 6 years now, and my experience is that it is not easy...and weather absolutely does play some part in this.

Biking/walking/standing at bus stops, lugging groceries/parcels home, etc. in 90-plus degree temps is not easy. The blocks here are much longer than typical city blocks...despite what others have posted, traffic is quite significant here...the air is dusty...the busses are slow and pretty much stop running at 10pm...St. Petersburg is VERY spread out and vast...if it is so easy to live without a car here, why do people look at me like I am nuts when I tell them I do not have one? And why do so many people have cars here? This is not the carless mecca that others here describe: folks who struggle financially (such as myself) are the ones who do not have cars here and it is tough.

Carless for me means not owning a car and having to walk to and from work, having to walk to and from grocery shopping - struggling with bags...getting poured on when the skies decide to open up, etc.

Carless for others here seems to entail driving their car over from Gulfport/Tampa/Dunedin/etc. and parking it along Central Avenue so that they can dip into the quaint little shops and cafes for iced tea and dessert, then drive to the beach for a swim before driving home: two completely different experiences.

I have lived in cities that are ACTUALLY walkable: NYC and San Francisco being the most notable...I have spent time in Boston: the ease with which one can get around in those cities does not even remotely compare to St. Petersburg...I have also lived in Austin and Austin is probably most like St. Petersburg in terms of "walkability": it's very hot, spread out and one really needs a car in order to enjoy any quality of life there.

Not trying to hate on St. Petersburg, or sound "bitter" as (again) I know that it's a great place for many people...but to claim that St. Petersburg is as walkable as genuinely walkable cities are is just not accurate.

Last edited by Lindacy; 05-22-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,413,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindacy View Post
Not trying to hate on St. Petersburg, or sound "bitter" as (again) I know that it's a great place for many people...but to claim that St. Petersburg is as walkable as genuinely walkable cities are is just not accurate.
I do agree with that, which is why I would never move to St. Pete as Downtown St. Pete is really just one walkable area of a very small city. I like to have an entire city at my disposal with multiple vibrant neighborhoods.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I do agree with that, which is why I would never move to St. Pete as Downtown St. Pete is really just one walkable area of a very small city. I like to have an entire city at my disposal with multiple vibrant neighborhoods.
And this is precisely what I have been trying to say all along

Last edited by Lindacy; 05-22-2015 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 09:46 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,414 times
Having lived in a walkable city almost my entire life, I agree. But sure is nice to have DT St pete and things you can walk to vs. nothing to walk to at all.

Also, I like having a car and having a place to park it - something you do not have easily (or less than $500 a month to park it) in Nyc & SF. Having a car = exploring north Fl. - s. Fl - driving to Atlanta and lots more.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindacy View Post
And this was precisely what I have been trying to say all along
Hehe, we are getting somewhere.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Certain sections of downtown are really easy to walk as others have said, but I disagree that weather SHOULDN'T take part in whether something is walkable or not! 0.25 mi isn't a long walk... but at 90 Degrees w/ 90% humidity it'll feel like a lifetime for some of us!

NYC is def an example of what a truly walkable city is. Don't get me wrong, I love DTSP... I just don't know that I could get by without a car. I MIGHT get by with a bicycle most of the year.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Certain sections of downtown are really easy to walk as others have said, but I disagree that weather SHOULDN'T take part in whether something is walkable or not! 0.25 mi isn't a long walk... but at 90 Degrees w/ 90% humidity it'll feel like a lifetime for some of us!

NYC is def an example of what a truly walkable city is. Don't get me wrong, I love DTSP... I just don't know that I could get by without a car. I MIGHT get by with a bicycle most of the year.
Have you been to NYC in the summer? It's pretty much the same. I just meant that omitting the weather, Downtown St. Pete can be just as walkable as other areas in other cities. The weather does not change the basics of a place that makes it walkable or not walkable. When you add in the weather and other factors, then you're not really discussing walkability any longer.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Having lived in a walkable city almost my entire life, I agree. But sure is nice to have DT St pete and things you can walk to vs. nothing to walk to at all.

Also, I like having a car and having a place to park it - something you do not have easily (or less than $500 a month to park it) in Nyc & SF. Having a car = exploring north Fl. - s. Fl - driving to Atlanta and lots more.
I agree with both points, but they speak more about choice than necessity...one does not HAVE to have a car and pay $500 a month for parking in SF/NYC - that's a choice...one can live car-free in those places and walk/take public transit/bike and rent a car to explore areas outside of the city.

One really must have a car in order to "explore" and enjoy the entirety of St. Petersburg.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Have you been to NYC in the summer? It's pretty much the same. I just meant that omitting the weather, Downtown St. Pete can be just as walkable as other areas in other cities. The weather does not change the basics of a place that makes it walkable or not walkable. When you add in the weather and other factors, then you're not really discussing walkability any longer.
I've been to NYC in the summer and the winter. I live just outside of Fairfield county in CT and have been to NYC more times than I can count. There are times when the heat is REALLY high in NYC, but it happens for a short while and then it's nice and cool again. Same thing can't be said about St. Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay