Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,518 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to this area soon and looking for a nice but cheap place to live since I am on a limited income and budget. Also prefer senior places but will look at others. Anyone got any ideas for me? Single lady 61 and still wants to have fun and hit the beaches too. Will be riding bike and walking. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:30 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Are you limited to biking and walking or do you have a car? The beach and cheap are mutually exclusive.

A mobile home is probably the cheapest housing around, but I would not consider one that was not 55+. The best value is in a resident owned park that is 55+.

The next level would be a condo, but again 55+.

In a 55+ community your neighbors will be your contemporaries.

55+= senior.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Florida is not for "walking"...

How will you do when the real heat comes in? You have to find some sort of transportation, because 1) Florida is not made for walking; a lot of places don't even have sidewalks, and 2) the weather is extremely prohibitive. What if there's a thunderstorm and you're out of toilet paper? are you going to walk 3 miles to a grocery store through lighting and a downpour? I don't think it is "realistic" to expect to walk in Florida anywhere on daily basis. Sure you can walk on a beach, but how do u get to that beach? Beach front, or close to water is in the high 6 figures and 7 figures.

I would look into Pensacola; there are remote areas there that may be cheaper, but those will not be "walkable" either.

You need a car, because there is also no usable public transit here.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:43 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
I don't know why the previous poster says FL is not walkable. It certainly is, you just have to find the right spot.

Try Gulfport, plenty of bars and restaurants to walk to; nice mix of ages, families, singles, young retirees, LGBT. Funky cottages, brick streets, sidewalks, very progressive.

There aren't many apartment complexes in the Historic area, but there is a large 55 plus condo complex on the edge of the historic area. I would never consider an age-designated community, nor an apartment, so I have no idea about this complex, though I do see ads for rentals within it and the prices are usually under 1K for a 1BR.

We live in the Historic Waterfront area of Gulfport and here's what we can walk to in under one-half a mile:

The City-owned Marina
The beach (albeit a small one, it's a great place to walk and watch dolphins, birds)
City fishing pier
Local restaurants (12+ all independent, no chains)
Retail shops
Library
Yoga Studios (2 private) in addition to City classes at Rec Center
Post Office
Parks (5 parks, including 2 dedicated dog parks)
City Tennis Courts
Public beach volleyball courts
Dance Ballroom (City Owned, also the venue for art shows, galas and private weddings/parties)
Live Theatre
City Rec Center
City Government Offices
Convenience stores (one has within it, a Greek carryout)
Baseball field
Weekly Daytime Fresh Market
Twice a month evening Art Walks

What we can walk to between one-half mile up to one mile:
Grocery Store (SaveALot, not my fave but it's handy in a pinch)
Fresh Produce Stand open 7 days a week (use this more than SaveALot)
Vet
Dollar Store
Drug Store (Walgreens)
5 More restaurants
More stores
Banks

I'm sure I left some places out!

Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 AM

I am sure you do have a car though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I don't know why the previous poster says FL is not walkable. It certainly is, you just have to find the right spot.

Try Gulfport, plenty of bars and restaurants to walk to; nice mix of ages, families, singles, young retirees, LGBT. Funky cottages, brick streets, sidewalks, very progressive.

There aren't many apartment complexes in the Historic area, but there is a large 55 plus complex on the edge of the historic area. I would never consider an age-designated community, nor an apartment, so I have no idea about this complex.

We live in the Historic Waterfront area of Gulfport and here's what we can walk to in under one-half a mile:

The City-owned Marina
The beach (albeit a small one, it's a great place to walk and watch dolphins, birds)
City fishing pier
Local restaurants (12+ all independent, no chains)
Retail shops
Library
Yoga Studios (2 private) in addition to City classes at Rec Center
Post Office
Parks (5 parks, including 2 dedicated dog parks)
City Tennis Courts
Public beach volleyball courts
Dance Ballroom (City Owned, also the venue for art shows, galas and private weddings/parties)
Live Theatre
City Rec Center
City Government Offices
Convenience stores (one has within it, a Greek carryout)
Baseball field
Weekly Daytime Fresh Market
Twice a month evening Art Walks

What we can walk to between one-half mile up to one mile:
Grocery Store (SaveALot, not my fave but it's handy in a pinch)
Fresh Produce Stand open 7 days a week (use this more than SaveALot)
Vet
Dollar Store
Drug Store (Walgreens)
5 More restaurants
More stores
Banks

I'm sure I left some places out!

Old 05-15-2015, 03:51 AM

The OP stated she doesn't drive:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...omes-rent.html

Old 05-15-2015, 03:55 AM

Yes we own a car, but we could live without one. Usually we use the car maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I think as we age, we will give up the car and it won't be a major issue as there is a local taxi service. My neighbor takes the bus daily to his job in DTSP, so public transport is also do-able.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Yes we own a car, but we could live without one. Usually we use the car maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I think as we age, we will give up the car and it won't be a major issue as there is a local taxi service. My neighbor takes the bus daily to his job in DTSP, so public transport is also do-able.
I cannot see myself walking anywhere during the summer months, carrying groceries through heavy rain and lightning. Sorry. To say that you can live without a car in Florida is reckless. People have health conditions that can prove dangerous should they did that. Not everyone tolerates heat well, or the same as the next person.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I cannot see myself walking anywhere during the summer months, carrying groceries through heavy rain and lightning. Sorry. To say that you can live without a car in Florida is reckless. People have health conditions that can prove dangerous should they did that. Not everyone tolerates heat well, or the same as the next person.
So? People with heart conditions shouldn't shovel snow, either.

Yesterday afternoon we walked 9 holes of golf. And that was after a bike ride to fetch some produce and take-away BBQ chicken for lunch. We aren't kids...I'm 62.

To say FL is universally un-walkable is simply false.

Besides Gulfport we consider Dunedin and Safety Harbor as walkable/bike-friendly and livable without a car.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:02 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
Take a look at Lakeview of Largo South condos - they are privately owned over 55s in Largo, right by beach, central bus depot, shopping centre, hospitals and doctors. Parks nearby too. Sometimes they are for rent, generally they are for sale. Look at South rather than north complex, which do not have covered parking (if you do keep a car, better to have it under shade til you do drive it) and they do not have washer/dryer in units either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay