Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 5,389 times

Advertisements

I know there're tons of threads about this, but most of them are old. i'm moving from NY to Tampa, FL and I plan on attending hcc (y bor or brandon) . i want a safe neighborhood and max rent of 650 (i would've stayed in NY if i wanted to pay 1000) i want to go to school, work and relax after and have fun in a SAFE place. Any suggestions will be welcome. Also , i considered Gainesville but it might be too boring for me, I want to be close to the city and i heard jax is a hell hole. I'm confused at this point. all the apartments are liked were bashed on google reviews are filthy, infested , unsafe or horrible management. i;m not picky at all but i dont want to be stuck in a dump. Also is a gated community the best option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeswaggzz View Post
I know there're tons of threads about this, but most of them are old. i'm moving from NY to Tampa, FL and I plan on attending hcc (y bor or brandon) . i want a safe neighborhood and max rent of 650 (i would've stayed in NY if i wanted to pay 1000) i want to go to school, work and relax after and have fun in a SAFE place. Any suggestions will be welcome. Also , i considered Gainesville but it might be too boring for me, I want to be close to the city and i heard jax is a hell hole. I'm confused at this point. all the apartments are liked were bashed on google reviews are filthy, infested , unsafe or horrible management. i;m not picky at all but i dont want to be stuck in a dump. Also is a gated community the best option?
"Safe" neighborhood for "$650" doesn't exist!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:12 PM

186 posts, read 217,882 times
Check out Dunedin in Pinellas county. Check out carollwood in Tampa.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 AM

ok so if 650 wont work then how much will ?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:43 AM

Default thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
Check out Dunedin in Pinellas county. Check out carollwood in Tampa.
thanks i'll checkk those out

Old 06-12-2015, 03:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
I would consider finding a roommate - with $650 budgeted, you can combine it an possibly find a decent place with someone with equivalent funds (utilities, cable costs can e shared as well). Students up at USF (not far from HCC campuses) in Temple Terrace areas are looking for roommates to share homes - can get complicated if you don't work out the lease properly.

If not, look for places in Brandon/Riverview. Don't think you'll get a gated community for that price, but you might get lucky. Don't pay attn too much with many of those review websites - I rented for a long time in my career and find that people post on those sites when they have some sort of altercation with management.

Stay away from Ybor as a place to live or anywhere north of Ybor. Not the best neighborhoods, imo (crime).

Old 06-12-2015, 03:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Here's a place I checked out in Brandon when I first got here - you probably will find less expensive prices in this neighborhood (Paddock?) - but it gives you a relative breakdown of prices for a place.

Overview - Versant Place Apartments in Brandon, FL 33511

Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
ok so if 650 wont work then how much will ?
If you want "safe" you'll be over $1000. I am not sure who is perpetuating this up north, but they are delusional if they believe that $650 will put anyone anywhere over section 8. Or in a good area of town. You'll need to stop pricing Florida/Tampa in comparison to NYC. We don't get paid the same wages here, and we have other costs that more than make up for it when it comes to being expensive. Florida IS expensive don't fool yourself.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:16 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,992,967 times
$650 for a safe neighborhood doesn't exist anymore... you will need a roomate and then be able to find a 2BD for $1300 pretty easy in a decent area.

$650 doesn't exist anymore mostly because people from the Northeast (like NY) are coming down here by the droves and driving prices way up. Who'da thought?!?!!?

Old 06-12-2015, 06:40 AM

473 posts, read 544,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
If you want "safe" you'll be over $1000. I am not sure who is perpetuating this up north, but they are delusional if they believe that $650 will put anyone anywhere over section 8. Or in a good area of town. You'll need to stop pricing Florida/Tampa in comparison to NYC. We don't get paid the same wages here, and we have other costs that more than make up for it when it comes to being expensive. Florida IS expensive don't fool yourself.
Just because someone says the are from NY does not automatically mean NYC.

There are many cities and towns in NY where you can find a decent apartment for $650

The notion that wages are not the same in Florida as NY is incorrect. NYC obviously has higher wages but most other cities and towns have very similar wages to FL.

As an example, the wages here in Buffalo are almost identical to the wages in Tampa.

Last edited by cjrudy; 06-12-2015 at 07:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay