Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 22,732 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old post, but there are a lot of views so I thought I would try to help clear a couple of things up. (For what it's worth, I am an Accredited Green Plumber and Master Plumber).

First, Morton is right. A water softener and a reverse osmosis system are two totally different things. A reverse osmosis system is a type of drinking water filtration system. It potentially provides the cleanest water possible, depending on membrane used to filter the water. Reverse osmosis systems actually waste about 4-5 gallons of water for every gallon of clean water produced, so they are usually only used for drinking water.

A water softener, on the other hand, is a device to remove hardness minerals- calcium and magnesium- from the water. The amount of these minerals in the water is measured several ways, but "grains per gallon" is the measurement used to size a water softener. The more grains per gallon of minerals in the water, the "harder" it is.

Water in the Tampa Bay area has an average hardness of 7-10 grains per gallon. This is considered fairly hard as far as hard water is concerned. Water softeners are sized by the capacity in grains. So, theoretically, a 40,000 grain water softener will be able to soften 4000 gallons of water at 10 grains per gallon before it needs to "regenerate".

Water softeners contain "resin" beads that attract and "capture" the hardness mineral molecules as the water passes through the resin tank. When these beads get "saturated", a salt-water solution is back-flushed through the tank to clean them off. This is called regeneration. The amount of water used varies between models, but even an efficient model uses about 40 gallons per regeneration.

So, Mike is right also. If a water softener is undersized it will need to regenerate more often and could cause a high water bill. On the other hand, there really is no drawback to going a little bigger than you have to because it will just go longer between regenerations.

Last, there are some pretty big differences in efficiency between some models. The more efficient the water softener, the less water and salt it will use. The best ones can soften over 5000 gallons of water per pound of salt. Even though salt is pretty cheap, that usually means less water used also.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion I have seen in the Tampa water softener market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 20,662 times
Default Kinetico Softner

I have a Kinetico Model 60 I want to install at my home in St. Pete. We moved, and the servicer I used is now out of range. Does anyone have any recommendations. I need to get a quote for install, and would like to have the valve serviced. I just installed a 10 ppm resin.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
A water softener will make it easier to wash your car, keep the shower and glasses cleaner and you might prefer the effect.

I've installed several and I always use the exact same model. Based on my research hands down this is superior. Fleck 7000 Electronic Metered High Flow On Demand Water Softeners

A plumber can install it or perhaps you can. It will flow up to 25 gpm. I buy them online.

I've even used a second one as a carbon filter with 2 big blue sediment filters and been able to flow more than 15 gpm.

Good luck

Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM

389 posts, read 804,042 times
I would like to resurect this thread in the hopes that "Tampa Water Softener" or someone with knowledge will respond. We just bought one and I want to be sure I am setting it properly.

A hardness of 7-10 was mentioned for the area, does that include the New Tampa area? Also, is there any iron in the water, the instructions say to increase my hardness number by 5 for every 1ppm of iron. The default setting of the unit is 25 which might be too high.

Please chime in.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I lived 7 yr without softner/filter and moved a place with it and found that it is a money making scam by these companies trying to sell you the filters as well as installation. I have it, but could live without the systems. I don't know the effect on my longterm health is though.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:10 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I lived 7 yr without softner/filter and moved a place with it and found that it is a money making scam by these companies trying to sell you the filters as well as installation. I have it, but could live without the systems. I don't know the effect on my longterm health is though.
+1
It's really a win-win industry

Old 04-29-2016, 05:10 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I have a complete different experience. Our dishes and glasses stay cleaner as well as faucets with less work to keep them nice and shiny and skin feels much better even without body lotion.

We never fell for sales stories from plumbers who wanted to sell us a $ 3000 system as being the only good working system and bought a system at Home Depot and had it installed by a licensed plumber.

You don't need an expensive system. In another home which is larger we had also a system installed and again the plumber was giving us all the negative info on how short this system will work and not perform good as the house is too big for the system while the system is sold for exactly the amount of bathrooms, etc. but we don't fall the sales crap they try to sell as right now this plumber is advertising so much on radio, bill boards, etc. which all has to be paid by the clients for paying them more and their prices have sky rocket since they started to advertise so much.

Your home will show less wear and tear on pipes as rust and hard water play less of a role with a water softener.

Of course a lot of tenants don't like it as they have to buy salt and pour it in which is an additional cost and most tenants don't care about pipes and faucets like an owner does. Higher end tenants all seem to appreciate water softeners but lower end tenants is the group where only a small percentage likes it and we believe it has to do with spending money and time to buy salt.

Of course not everyone will like a water softener as in the end it is a personal preference aside from the benefits for the plumbing of your home which to me is very important.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM

182 posts, read 170,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have a complete different experience. Our dishes and glasses stay cleaner as well as faucets with less work to keep them nice and shiny and skin feels much better even without body lotion.

We never fell for sales stories from plumbers who wanted to sell us a $ 3000 system as being the only good working system and bought a system at Home Depot and had it installed by a licensed plumber.

You don't need an expensive system.
Agreed. We've had our water softener/filter for a month now, and the difference is VERY noticeable. And, we also did not go with an expensive system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: