Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 PM

33 posts, read 96,176 times

Advertisements

So, wondering about the air quality in the Tampa/Spring Hill/LOL areas. In every picture I see the skies look bright blue with big fluffy clouds and no pollution. Is this how it looks most of the time? No one in my family has asthma or anything, but I am looking for cleaner air than Nashville offers. We sit sort of in a bowl here and stuff seems to not flow out. People are sick constantly and last week I went out and the air was so heavy my lungs were hurting! First time that has happened here, but I do normally have trouble getting in nice deep breaths. Not to mention the bad sinus headaches I am plagued with. So, I need to know is the air cleaner and clearer down there?? I would think with the constant showers that it would almost have to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Tampa has the dubious distinction of being the most polluted city in Florida. HOWEVER, Florida is only one of three states east of the Mississippi to meet all EPA standards. So basically, it's the worst of the best. The air quality is above average.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks for your response! I'm curious...what are the other 2 states east of the Mississippi that meet the standards?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:08 PM

I can't say I'm sure, but heres where I got my information from

Division of Air Resource Management - FDEP

Old 03-04-2008, 02:11 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Tampa has the dubious distinction of being the most polluted city in Florida. HOWEVER, Florida is only one of three states east of the Mississippi to meet all EPA standards. So basically, it's the worst of the best. The air quality is above average.
I think you once again may want to check your facts.
Here is from the American Lung Association. Tampa happens to be on the list as one of the cleanest.

Florida
Florida had some of the cleanest cities and counties in the nation. Six cities were among the cleanest cities for ozone pollution: Deltona-Daytona Beach-Palm Coast, Gainesville, Lakeland, Naples-Marco Island, Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville and Port St. Lucie-Fort Pierce. Three ranked among the cleanest for year-round particle levels: Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville ranked 17th cleanest and Cape Coral-Fort Myers ranked 18th, while Port St. Lucie-Fort Pierce ranked as the 22nd cleanest. In addition to Deltona-Daytona Beach-Palm Coast, Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Port St. Lucie-Fort Pierce and Cape Coral-Fort Myers, seven other cities made it on the list of the cleanest for short-term particle pollution: Gainesville, Jacksonville, Lakeland, Ocala, Orlando-The Villages, Sarasota- Bradenton-Venice and Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater.

Sixteen counties landed on the list of the cleanest counties for short-term exposure to particles. Fourteen counties were on the list of the cleanest counties for ozone pollution.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Yay!!! I am so excited to hear this! I'm telling you not being able to breathe properly makes me tired. And the constant headaches...well, you can imagine. I'm really looking forward to some clean air! Even if it's only 1 of 3 cities to pass any sort of guidelines that is still an improvement over what I'm used to

Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I think you once again may want to check your facts.
Here is from the American Lung Association. Tampa happens to be on the list as one of the cleanest.

Florida
Florida had some of the cleanest cities and counties in the nation. Six cities were among the cleanest cities for ozone pollution: Deltona-Daytona Beach-Palm Coast, Gainesville, Lakeland, Naples-Marco Island, Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville and Port St. Lucie-Fort Pierce. Three ranked among the cleanest for year-round particle levels: Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville ranked 17th cleanest and Cape Coral-Fort Myers ranked 18th, while Port St. Lucie-Fort Pierce ranked as the 22nd cleanest. In addition to Deltona-Daytona Beach-Palm Coast, Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, Port St. Lucie-Fort Pierce and Cape Coral-Fort Myers, seven other cities made it on the list of the cleanest for short-term particle pollution: Gainesville, Jacksonville, Lakeland, Ocala, Orlando-The Villages, Sarasota- Bradenton-Venice and Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater.

Sixteen counties landed on the list of the cleanest counties for short-term exposure to particles. Fourteen counties were on the list of the cleanest counties for ozone pollution.
Link please. I believe you, and like I said, it's the "worst of the best", but I would like to see a link.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Link please. I believe you, and like I said, it's the "worst of the best", but I would like to see a link.

American Lung Association:*SOTA06 Regional Analyses (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota06_analyses3.html - broken link)

And I apologize if my previous reply seemed curt, it is just due to the fact that too many on here want to beat up on areas without really knowing them.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
American Lung Association:*SOTA06 Regional Analyses (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota06_analyses3.html - broken link)

And if my previous reply seemed curt, it is just due to the fact that too many on here want to beat up on areas without really knowing them.
Thank you, and I wasn't beating it up. It's just that I read on the environmental protection website that Tampa was the most polluted city in FL. It's still one of the best cities for air (as observed in your link), they just have more EPA "Moderate" days than some of the other major cities. Unhealthy days are still almost nonexistent. Interestingly the most polluted parts of the state were actually in the rural panhandle and not the urbanized sections.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeLover99 View Post
Yay!!! I am so excited to hear this! I'm telling you not being able to breathe properly makes me tired. And the constant headaches...well, you can imagine. I'm really looking forward to some clean air! Even if it's only 1 of 3 cities to pass any sort of guidelines that is still an improvement over what I'm used to
Keep in mind that if you have allergies you will be affected here but the smog/ air pollution is minimal in Spring Hill if it is even measurable at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay