Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
So, you're saying: Because their judgement is clouded by alcohol, that's why we should not punish them for drinking and driving??? Oy vey.

I am not saying they should lose their job, but I am saying anyone who blows a .15 (almost TWICE the legal limit) should be punished for their first offence. Period. Jail time, community service, license suspensions....those should be automatic on the first offense because there are so many repeat offenders who were let off on their first DUI.

As far as their job, driving a vehicle impaired does show a lack of judgement. Each employer will have to decide how to handle that one, given the requirements of the job. I was responsible for hiring a staff of 25+ and there are always plenty of applicants and if it came down to 2 people with the same education, experience, but one had a DUI and one didn't, guess which one I'd hire.
If you read my post more carefully you will have seen that I was responding to a poster who said anyone found guilty of DUI should automatically lose their job.You will have also read that I believed anyone in that situation should serve the punishment handed out.I have not written anywhere that these people shouldn't face punishment and for you to suggest so is malicious.

The whole point of justice is rehabilitation as well as punishment.By punishing someone AND taking their job away strikes me as being equally malicious.

In the UK,under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act,there is a time limit as to how long various driving offences can remain on your driver's licence ranging from 4 - 11 years.Four being the minimum for offences such as dangerous driving and eleven for causing death by drink or drug impairment.
But insurance companies and employers are only legally entitled to know of the latter for five years.

This has been the case for many years and even the most strident drink-drive campaigners has never suggested a person should be punished for the rest of their life.

For me the chance of rehabilitation for offenders of any crime is the cornerstone of a civilised society.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
chances are if this is the first time she has ever had any involvement with law enforcement she is already feeling awful and doubtfully will do it again
I agree with this. Most people who drink and drive only do it once and will never do it again.

Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

"Drivers with a BAC of 0.08% or higher involved in fatal crashes were six times more likely to have a prior conviction for DWI than were drivers with no alcohol in their system. (6% and 1%, respectively).1"

Old 12-27-2015, 09:48 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Almost all European countries have BAC limits of 0.05 or less. Often much much less.

We can only hope that the US will some day lower the current BAC of .08

And it's not like European countries don't like to drink, we travel to Europe a lot and there's no shortage of wine being consumed in Italy or Spain.

But they recognize the dangers of drinking and driving.

Personally, we won't drink and drive, period. One of the benefits of living in Gulfport is being able to walk to a dozen eateries for dinner and no worries about a few glasses of wine with a nice meal.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:31 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Almost all European countries have BAC limits of 0.05 or less. Often much much less.

We can only hope that the US will some day lower the current BAC of .08

And it's not like European countries don't like to drink, we travel to Europe a lot and there's no shortage of wine being consumed in Italy or Spain.

But they recognize the dangers of drinking and driving.

Personally, we won't drink and drive, period. One of the benefits of living in Gulfport is being able to walk to a dozen eateries for dinner and no worries about a few glasses of wine with a nice meal.
I'm from Europe and the mind set is different as I grew up with no drinking age and we often had a glass of wine at home (kids size) and it was not like too special but neither seen as something that was done daily.
Therefore turning 18 was more special since it meant first driving lesson and turning 21 meant being an adult and nothing to do with drinking.
Nowadays drinking over there is less of an issue then drugs and anoth we r fact is that major cities all have public transportation or people go on a scooter or bike so it is hard to compare with a society of mostly cars.

Unless you are a celebrity you will loose your license when caught dining and driving and your car will be impounded or someone else has to pick it up if your lucky.
I don't agree with most people drink and drive once...I think most of them didn't get caught before and so many times you see they get caught later driving with a suspended license which to me shows they didn't feel that guilty.

We run so many background checks and see this all the time.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:39 AM

149 posts, read 145,244 times
I don't understand why people won't take Uber

Old 12-28-2015, 11:44 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Uber, call a cab, designated driver, walk or just don't drink when you know you have to drive afterward.

All options for anyone with a brain who decides to think of others rather than risk lives by driving drunk. It's quite simple.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 PM

120 posts, read 118,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
I don't understand why people won't take Uber
or responsibility for their behavior.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 PM

107 posts, read 89,458 times
Quote:
People who willfully break the law, who jeopardize the lives of everyone in their path....those are NOT trustworthy nor honest people. They are irresponsible and dangerous people. Not to mention, stupid beyond belief.
Get over yourself, you are perfect? You sound like a real peach. You made your point. .08 is a freaking joke, just a money robbing ploy, and no I have never had a DUI....

Last edited by Hawksphins; 12-30-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 06:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksphins View Post
Get over yourself, you are perfect? You sound like a real peach. You made your point. .08 is a freaking joke, just a money robbing ploy, and no I have never had a DUI....
Are you willing to say that to parents of a kid killed by a drunk driver or a family member or friend killed by someone so selfish to think they are better then the rest of us and can drink and drive and then oops....oh an accident which of course is not their fault and then the selfish self pity. ....and many will drive with a suspended license.
BTW look at people who didn't get killed but paralyzed for life.

Drinking and driving just doesn't go hand in hand. Take a cap or stay home and drink.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:53 PM

107 posts, read 89,458 times
I am saying .o8 broadly appli d is a joke. .o8 for a 1oo pound girl is a joke let alone a large man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay