Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:54 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times

Advertisements

Is Citrus county like a slower, less crowed place, compared to Clearwater? Is the climate about the same. Anyone here reside there? I would like to know about housing and pace of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 10:26 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Quite the opposite of Clearwater, meaning it's mostly rural.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Things are not good in this area, more specifically, Crystal River, due to the impending closure of the nuke plant. It was a major contributor to the tax base, and as it winds down tax revenue for the county is plummeting.

That being said, if you're going over towards Beverly Hills or surrounds, it's a nice area with a number of retirement communities.

If that's not to your liking, the area is generally pretty rural.

RM

Old 04-25-2016, 03:49 PM

142 posts, read 272,371 times
I live in Beverly Hills in the old part, not much there except a Winn Dixie and a Dollar Tree, however Crystal river and Inverness are a 10 mile drive in either direction plenty to do there if you want movies or a night on the town. I love living in Beverly Hills, not rural as there are tons and tons of suburbs within the unincorporated community. Seems to be a pretty safe area if you are a family oriented person. 70 miles south is Tampa for a really good take on the town and 30 min north is Ocala.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
I live in Beverly Hills in the old part, not much there except a Winn Dixie and a Dollar Tree, however Crystal river and Inverness are a 10 mile drive in either direction plenty to do there if you want movies or a night on the town. I love living in Beverly Hills, not rural as there are tons and tons of suburbs within the unincorporated community. Seems to be a pretty safe area if you are a family oriented person. 70 miles south is Tampa for a really good take on the town and 30 min north is Ocala.
My mother in law lives in Beverly Hills in the Pine Ridge Subdivision
It's nice there but there really isn't much to do. However, it's not too far of a drive to those other places, which is nice. I love the subdivision she lives in because her neighbors have horses
Not sure if she pays an HOA but if she does, I don't think it's much.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
Thank you. I am looking for a slower pace, since I am now living in Dothan Alabama. My needs are simple, Winn Dixie and a close by Walmart make for most of my shopping. A nearby Lowes or Home Depot would be nice? Also, my needs are some quality medical centers where I may find a good primary care physician.

Night life means little to me, as does attending movies, I usually purchase movies and watch them at home.

To be frank, I dislike the new suburb, or sub division living and prefer the independence of a smaller town life. Playing gulf does not interest me, nor does an overabundance of senior actives, My preference is to be able to join these centers at will, rather than have them included in my home environment. Most of the places I have looked at have one acre of land, so, I figure I would be able to get outside my house without being to front of everyone? I value my privacy.

I guess the most important variable outside the home itself, are quiet, safety, and ease at getting to local stores without heavy traffic.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Things are not good in this area, more specifically, Crystal River, due to the impending closure of the nuke plant. It was a major contributor to the tax base, and as it winds down tax revenue for the county is plummeting.

That being said, if you're going over towards Beverly Hills or surrounds, it's a nice area with a number of retirement communities.

If that's not to your liking, the area is generally pretty rural.

RM
How would this impact a senior who is mainly interested in slow pace retirement living? Would I have to anticipate higher home taxes? I would prefer a slower growth rate, as this will most likely be my last home purchase. If housing value stagnates, it will slightly impact my beneficiaries.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
My mother in law lives in Beverly Hills in the Pine Ridge Subdivision
It's nice there but there really isn't much to do. However, it's not too far of a drive to those other places, which is nice. I love the subdivision she lives in because her neighbors have horses
Not sure if she pays an HOA but if she does, I don't think it's much.
Is the whole area made up of subdivisions? I desire more living independence and dislike HOAs. It seem my needs may be well available, since i dislike what many younger retires desire, such as valued ceilings, open concept house designs, wood floors and tile.

Having some land would be a plus. Not much more than one acre. It is also to my advantage not to live were everyone is yard conscious. My main home interests are indoor activities, I'm a part-time investment counselor.

What most consider as. 'things to do' does not interest me. I would like some rural areas for walking and maybe a nearby park, one that is plain and lacks most of the amusements, which attract crowds.

I am wondering if most of the area is more subdivisions with HOA fees and built in activities?

Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
How would this impact a senior who is mainly interested in slow pace retirement living? Would I have to anticipate higher home taxes? I would prefer a slower growth rate, as this will most likely be my last home purchase. If housing value stagnates, it will slightly impact my beneficiaries.
It could very well affect property taxes, since the money to support the infrastructure has to come from somewhere.

You would probably be most affected by county related matters, such as roads and utility maintenance being deferred.

RM

Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 PM

Any other comments about Citrus county? Are there places to the north, which might be more rural, yet have local stores?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay