Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am re-locating from Cincinnati, Ohio to Tampa next year. I wanted to see what the best neighborhoods for younger people would be to live in. I guess the main things I like to do are outdoor activities such as running, biking and I would want to be by the beach. Ideally I could live not too far from downtown where I may be working. Some other things I would be interested in are cool bars and activities to do while down there.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods to research would be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
South Tampa

Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt85webb View Post
I would want to be by the beach. Ideally I could live not too far from downtown
Downtown is at minimum 25 miles from the beaches and traffic is horrible, so you can only have one of these two options.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the replies! Are there any specific neighborhoods in South Tampa you would recommend? I don't have to have one of these exclusive options of downtown or the beach but they were used rather as idea of where I'd like to be.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:26 AM

Depends on the size/type of housing and price range. It's expensive there

Old 05-18-2016, 07:48 AM

I am looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment under $1000. I am not familiar with the area so it may not workout. In Cincinnati I live in an expensive neighborhood but I was able to find a nice place in this range.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:42 AM

oh no, I don't think you will be able to find anything for under $1000 in that area.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:59 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
oh no, I don't think you will be able to find anything for under $1000 in that area.
Or downtown or Ybor, most likely.

For the OP, just be aware that you're asking about areas that would be considered "trendy", and as a result the rents are probably the highest in the Tampa area.

Rental units, whether they be apartments or homes are in great demand here, and the rental market is hot. To be where you want to be is going to require a significant change in your willingness to spend or a readjustment of your expectations.

More importantly, in what area will you be working, that is, where is your future employer located?

RM

Old 05-18-2016, 07:03 PM

I'm actually planning on not working the first 2 months because I am getting deployed to Kuwait on the 3rd month. I work in finance and the field in general is fairly hot in Tampa. If I needed to commute the 1st year it wouldn't be the end of the world. I was looking at south tampa after this thread and found some apartments for around $800 but I don't know if the surrounding area is a ghetto or anything.

Below is a link if anyone could tell me if this is a good/bad area.

Cozy One Bedroom With a Courtyard View! Will Lease Fast!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt85webb View Post
I'm actually planning on not working the first 2 months because I am getting deployed to Kuwait on the 3rd month. I work in finance and the field in general is fairly hot in Tampa. If I needed to commute the 1st year it wouldn't be the end of the world. I was looking at south tampa after this thread and found some apartments for around $800 but I don't know if the surrounding area is a ghetto or anything.

Below is a link if anyone could tell me if this is a good/bad area.

Cozy One Bedroom With a Courtyard View! Will Lease Fast!
I am not sure what South Tampa has to do with this apartment since it's in St. Pete, but the area of this apartment is far from what you were looking for ("best neighborhoods for younger people would be to live in. I guess the main things I like to do are outdoor activities such as running, biking and I would want to be by the beach. Ideally I could live not too far from downtown where I may be working. Some other things I would be interested in are cool bars and activities to do while down there.")
The only item you've got checked is being close to the beach (short drive). The rest - not so much.
I wouldn't add more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay