Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM

461 posts, read 509,346 times

Advertisements

We are vacationing on Anna Maria island and the rental car agency told us that tolls in Tampa could be as much as $15.00 one way. So he urged us to buy a pass of some sort totaling $ 60.00 as I will be traveling to the airport several times. Is he right or did I get ripped off? We saw only one toll so far for around $1.00 so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 08:40 AM

201 posts, read 237,922 times
From the airport to AMI the only toll is on the Sunshine Skyway bridge which ia less than $2 and you can pay cash. You can even avoid this, but you'll meet more traffic, if you take I 75 all the way to I-4.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:46 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
The reason he urges this is because we have a lot of unmanned toll roads in the area. Here is the situation that happens:

Visitor rents a car and isn't informed about toll roads or declines the pass fee. They stay in Tampa area and travel on the Selmon or Veterans and cross the skyway a couple times because their GPS takes them on that route. If you aren't paying close attention, it looks like any highway.

You turn rental in and then a couple weeks later you are hit for tolls + service charge by the car rental company and become LIVID. You then bash them on TripAdvisor and Yelp for ripping you off and adding hidden fees.

I can understand that it's a gamble on if you will use them or not, but it is wise for them to offer it.

Check Yelp for reviews of Hertz, Avis, etc here locally. Look how many people give them terrible ratings for charging for tolls & fees they "swear they didn't go on." They think it is a scam. It's not. People expect manned toll booths or at least stations and the Selmon and parts of the Veterans have neither anymore.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 PM

261 posts, read 261,117 times
The Selmon is kind of a scam. They always higher the rates but the traffic is worse it moves slower than Adamo half the time.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:56 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
You turn rental in and then a couple weeks later you are hit for tolls + service charge by the car rental company and become LIVID. You then bash them on TripAdvisor and Yelp for ripping you off and adding hidden fees.

I can understand that it's a gamble on if you will use them or not, but it is wise for them to offer it.

Check Yelp for reviews of Hertz, Avis, etc here locally. Look how many people give them terrible ratings for charging for tolls & fees they "swear they didn't go on." They think it is a scam. It's not.
The service charge is the scam.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Change the settings on the GPS to avoid toll roads as in Tampa there are other options. If you go to Miami or Orlando it may take you a lot longer if you want to avoid toll roads and it makes more sense over there to use them.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The service charge is the scam.
They have to pay the tolls until they collect the money from you (aka a loan). Someone has to track this to ensure correct person is billed. There is time/labor involved.

It's a service provided while you are renting a car, so a charge should be expected. Especially if you decline the pass.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
They have to pay the tolls until they collect the money from you (aka a loan). Someone has to track this to ensure correct person is billed. There is time/labor involved.

It's a service provided while you are renting a car, so a charge should be expected. Especially if you decline the pass.
True, but in the case of a Thrifty and Budget, it's a scam in my opinion - $15 for each toll? For that I'll handle the back end administrative tasks...

Rental car toll fees stir backlash that threatens Florida

$3.95/day I can see, even the $10.95/day to cover everything, but $15 a toll?

RM

Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:

The amount of the charge is the scam. This is a fact, not an opinion. And you know I'm right.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The amount of the charge is the scam. This is a fact, not an opinion. And you know I'm right.
You are very right and I don't understand they can inflate the amount by so much as often inflated charges like this are not allowed by law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay