Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,011 times

Advertisements

Me and my best friend are just about to get our GED's. We want to move to Tampa from Gainesville. We plan on going to a community college and working. We are really freakin poor and we do not have any other support for our family's. I asking for any advice.

Good neighborhoods, neighborhoods to avoid, colleges, apartment complexes, etc.

We are looking for a two bedroom.

What is the generic electricity bill for the size apartment we want?

If you know any of these answers, please, please, please, help us out.

Also anything you just want to tell me about tampa you could let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 07:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkorth View Post
Me and my best friend are just about to get our GED's. We want to move to Tampa from Gainesville. We plan on going to a community college and working. We are really freakin poor and we do not have any other support for our family's. I asking for any advice.

Good neighborhoods, neighborhoods to avoid, colleges, apartment complexes, etc.

We are looking for a two bedroom.

What is the generic electricity bill for the size apartment we want?

If you know any of these answers, please, please, please, help us out.

Also anything you just want to tell me about tampa you could let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
Just how poor are you? As Tampa will be a more expensive place to live than Gainesville. whats your budget for a place to stay?do you have a reliable car? Savings? what type of job are you looking for? As you just have high school education you will almost certainly need to work while you are going to college,you up for that? Whats wrong with Gainesville?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:15 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Rental properties are really expensive here as the market is hot and there's a big demand. That being said, if you lower your standards enough I'm sure you could find something, but it's going to be a marginal area.

Hillsborough Community College (HCC as it's known around here) will be your best bet. The Brandon campus is the larger of their locations and has the broadest range of programs. You'll need to identify what you want to take with them, as some programs like allied health sciences are at the Dale Mabry campus.

Prices for everything will definitely be higher here. Public transportation sucks, so if you get in a bind and don't have wheels, you could be in trouble.

If you're only going to community college, I'm not sure I understand the value of coming to Tampa other than to get away from Gainesville. If anything, it would be a far better place since you have a community college there as well as a much smaller, lower cost area to work within. Jobs may not be as plentiful, but if you come here without a healthy reserve of cash to cover any gaps in income or unexpected expenses, you're going to end up on the street.

RM

Old 08-07-2016, 08:29 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The Brandon campus is the larger of their locations and has the broadest range of programs.
You keep saying this and there is no truth to it. From HCC's website directly: "Established in 1970, the Dale Mabry Campus of Hillsborough Community College is the largest and oldest campus."

And if you look up classes at the locations, Brandon doesn't have anywhere near as many, which becomes clear when you see how many go to Dale Mabry from Brandon because Brandon didn't have the class they needed.

HCC Dale Mabry Campus

Old 08-07-2016, 12:45 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You keep saying this and there is no truth to it. From HCC's website directly: "Established in 1970, the Dale Mabry Campus of Hillsborough Community College is the largest and oldest campus."

And if you look up classes at the locations, Brandon doesn't have anywhere near as many, which becomes clear when you see how many go to Dale Mabry from Brandon because Brandon didn't have the class they needed.

HCC Dale Mabry Campus
As someone who has been an adjunct professor for HCC, let me clarify this for you. While there may be more "class" offerings at Dale Mabry, there are more "sections" of most classes offered at Brandon.

But I'm not worried about being most right. :roll eyes: And I really appreciate your following my posts to fact check me.

RM

Old 08-07-2016, 12:50 PM

55 posts, read 70,941 times
o come on, are we helping someone here or not ??

Old 08-08-2016, 09:52 AM

261 posts, read 261,117 times
Get ready to sit in a lot of traffic, had some friends today stuck on the howard frankland in the rain for 2 hours!

Old 08-08-2016, 11:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
Get ready to sit in a lot of traffic, had some friends today stuck on the howard frankland in the rain for 2 hours!

OMG! Wow. There was a car crash there this a.m.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
I would suggest to go to the community college in Gainesville first or try a city in the panhandle like Pensacola or north Florida like Jacksonville. Rent is getting high in Tampa.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:17 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Maybe go to the community College in Hernando County or Zephyrhills as that is a cheaper area to live and you can always drive to Tampa to enjoy things over there. Tampa may be above your means or you will get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay