Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times

Advertisements

Hey all! So I currently attend Kent State University in Northeast Ohio - I've lived in the area my entire life. Last year, I absolutely fell in love with Tampa... at least from what I've read online. My family has been in Florida before (Orlando and Naples), but not Tampa.

I plan on attending the University of South Florida in August for graduate school once I complete my undergraduate here in Ohio. I really am aspiring for a change of pace, a change of scenery, and immersing myself in a completely different environment.

1) I was hoping I could be offered some advice on good locations for young professionals to live in Tampa is close enough to the university, typically safe(r), and has convenient access to downtown life (restaurants, bars, etc). I've heard commutes can be dreadful, but I'm from the sticks in Ohio so longer commutes do not bother me.

I'm likely coming down with a friend attending KSU and also seeking graduate school in USF; as a result, rent for a two-bedroom should be no more than a little over $1,000/month (although we could be flexible, depending on employment). I have been looking at apartments already online for Tampa--I'm just unsure of which areas I should avoid and which areas may be better suited for two younger guys who are new to the area.

2) I also have a boxer--are there any good dog parks in the area that are highly recommended? And for that matter, are there any good recommendations on veterinary clinics within the Tampa Bay area? I currently work at PetSmart, and I've been seeing that there are various pet stores in and around Tampa ... which is great!

3) As a gay man, is the environment LGBT-friendly in/around Tampa (i.e. should I be concerned or not, haha)? What are some popular bars/attractions for LGBT people in the Bay?

Thank you in advance for your response! I'm very nervous and excited to be making this fantastic journey and I want my pup and me to be as prepared as possible.

EDIT: This may not be a permanent situation. I will most definitely be in Tampa for (at least) two years, and if I like it enough I'll make a more permanent move into the area. But as for now, it'll be getting me through my Master degree and possibly PhD.

Last edited by mchernes; 01-04-2017 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
We are in Tampa for my wife to complete grad school, congrats on continuing your education!

I'm too new to answer most of your questions, but renting here with a dog can be a real challenge. We wanted a single family house and have a german shepherd, many management companies outright denied us because of the dog, claiming insurance regulations prevent them from allowing many breeds. I believe boxers were on that list. I assume you are looking at apartments, be sure to verify that you can have your dog there.

We've had my dog in apartments in Raleigh and Phoenix, and rental houses in Phoenix, Wilmington nc and Palm Coast fl. All were much easier to find a place for what we felt was a reasonable price and would allow our dog. My last house was almost 3,000 sq. ft., waterfront on a large lot. My house here is half the size, on a small lot, poorly maintained and only $50.00 a month less than the waterfront place. It was a tough situation to accept.

Also be mindful that some things are pretty expensive here, especially insurance. My planned budget took a big hit when we got here. My car insurance doubled, renters insurance went up significantly as well. Run quotes for all of those to be sure you have your finances planned properly.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Look around Seminole Heights. Up and coming area, gets you out of the trashy area directly around USF, there's a brand new park, complete with dog park, at Waterworks Park in Tampa Heights.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:32 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
I am not that familiar with Ohio but you should like Tampa. You can probably find some apartments around your price range near the University but not sure they allow dogs. Rent has gone up in Tampa recently. Maybe you can rent a house with a yard for the dog. LGBT places in Tampa is not hard to find. Ybor is probably your first bet to find hangouts with this crowd. You may get some negative comments about that area, but to be honest its really the only area I have seen with authentic unique culture in Tampa that does not look like every typical suburban strip mall.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,923 times
Hi,

If you move to Tampa do NOT move near USF. It's very ghetto and not where you want to be. South Tampa is where you want to be such as Hyde park, beach park, westshore area. South Tampa is more gay friendly and much more condensed than any other area of Tampa. Everything you need is close by including the gay scene. Some clubs are southern nights Tampa, liquid, honeypot. They are all located in ybor city which is like 5 minutes from south Tampa. You don't want to live in ybor though because it's also ghetto however at night the gays takeover because of the club scene. It's more expensive to live in south Tampa but I have lived in many areas and would leave Tampa if I didn't live in south Tampa because the rest is just boring.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 AM

So, every area outside of South Tampa is "ghetto." Got it.

The homosexual crowd doesn't "take over" Ybor. Ybor has a nice mix of just about everybody. This is easily the most ridiculous statement made on this board.

Last edited by Sunscape; 01-09-2017 at 05:18 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM

I said BORING not ghetto. As a gay male speaking to another gay male I understand what he is looking for and giving him my OPINION. Gays don't like ybor in general because of the trashy people. We like Anything past 16 st in ybor and this is where all of the clubs ,bathouses etc are for gays. Also south Tampa is the only part of Tampa I personally would live in.

Last edited by Sunscape; 01-09-2017 at 05:16 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvu9582 View Post
You clearly did not read what I wrote. I said BORING not ghetto. But Tampa is very ghetto also. You must live in some BORING subdivision and that has you pressed. As a gay male speaking to another gay male I understand what he is looking for and giving him my OPINION. Gays don't like ybor in general because of the trashy people. We like Anything past 16 st in ybor and this is where all of the clubs ,bathouses etc are for gays. Also south Tampa is the only part of Tampa I personally would live in.
Another brand new poster trashing this area .

Old 01-09-2017, 08:46 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
Who wants to drive from South Tampa to USF area every day? That would suck with the traffic. South Tampa is overrated except for the immediate SOHO area that has bars and clubs. Budget mentioned is 1,000 so a lot of South Tampa is not a good option. Maybe near Gandy or North of Kennedy??? If you have daddy's money to blow in a cookie cutter and love sitting in traffic, go for South Tampa. Check closer to USF, like New Tampa area.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Lol new Tampa? Sure.. maybe if you are 45 with a family and drive a minivan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay