Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 18,441 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know a good place to adopt (buy) a german shepherd puppy in the Tampa or Orlando area (purebred), any good reputable places that you would recommend former personal of a someone you know experience. Thank you!!

Old 03-02-2017, 03:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
already was answered the first thread you started on the subject

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...ion-tampa.html

Old 03-02-2017, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 18,441 times
I originally wanted to get an older one but changed my mind

Old 03-03-2017, 07:10 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
It just so happened I was checking out the dog show sites this morning & there is an AKC German Shepherd Speciality in Lutz this weekend. Last year had about 30 dogs. People will be showing, not selling, their dogs but it would be a great way to meet owners and breeders, see what's out there competing, and get information on upcoming litters.

The show is being hosted by the Tampa Bay German Shepherd Dog Club. Worse case, if you can't make it to Lutz this weekend, I would contact this group.

If you want more info, I will post contact links.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Very often that the national dog show winner gets popular that following year for pet owners.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/germ...200908861.html

Never owned one, but to me they appear on the less than friendly, cuddly side. Must be because police use them to snag perps.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
After reading the same thread you started under "Dogs" and the responses you received stating your lifestyle wouldn't be a good fit for a dog.. why are you still looking into this???!!!

From what you've posted - it seems fish would fit your family/lifestyle.
Having zero knowledge of dogs.. please do not get one.

I'm not trying to be mean - as the other posters told you over and over a GS is not the dog to get for first timers. You and the dog will just end up miserable and instead of you ending up in the shelter it'll be the poor dog.

Show some smarts and compassion...DO NOT GET A DOG.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 03-03-2017 at 07:43 AM..

Old 03-03-2017, 08:32 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Wow, if CFBS is correct then I have to agree. GSD's are among the most intelligent of dogs & need an experienced owner so that they not only integrate well with your family, but also your community. Look at breeds that are more "forgiving" of the training mistakes that first-time owners usually make. If you're not careful, a GSD will own you, not the other way around, and by the time you realize it, harm could come to yourself, your family or someone in your community.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
There were a few on the euthanasia list at the county animal shelter recently. I'm pretty sure at least one was killed. I'm sure that number will skyrocket soon.

As a lifelong GSD keeper, know that you are getting into a very serious relationship that will inevitably lead to expensive health problems. The breed has been decimated. Anal fistulas ($350/mo in pills +exams + a $100/oz cream that needs to be rubbed on the dog's anus daily during outbreaks), dysplasia ($50-80/mo in pills, + exams), allergies ($250-300/mo in specialty dog food), and a flood of other problems are almost guaranteed. My current shepherd has cost in the tens of thousands of dollars in vet treatments in her lifetime.

Emotionally it's heartbreaking to see a brilliant minded dog's body crumble to these ailments.

For me, I'll continue rescue work with the breed, but I'll never buy another GSD. The breed is all but ruined. You wouldn't buy a refrigerator if you knew it was going to cost tons of money in repairs for it's lifetime, why would anyone do that with a dog breed??

If you were interested in showing the dog that paperwork would matter, but if you were interested in showing you wouldn't be asking where to buy the dog on a forum. All AKC paperwork does is insure the dog has had inferior genes bred into it. "Papers" are for the owner to feel important, but those of us that have dealt with generations of GSDs know that papers show ignorance and/or arrogance.

If you are ready to take on the financial and personal responsibility of a GSD, seriously consider why you want a puppy. GSDs are lifetime learners. I teach mine new tasks all the time and she's 10. It's not like you need to imprint these dogs at a young age, they are very dynamic for their entire lifespan.

During the puppy years they are destructive and can be a challenge to train. Until about 2 or 3 years old they are hyperactive. It's a lot of work and frustration in that age. They really become perfect dogs at about 4 years old. There are loads of dogs available that are 2 or 3 years old, almost ripe!

I love a challenge, someday i'm sure I'll have another young dog, but probably not a puppy. It'll probably be a Belgian Malinois. They are a breed that is a notorious challenge and should be avoided by most people at all costs.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
During the puppy years they are destructive and can be a challenge to train. Until about 2 or 3 years old they are hyperactive. It's a lot of work and frustration in that age. They really become perfect dogs at about 4 years old. There are loads of dogs available that are 2 or 3 years old, almost ripe

Very well said!

I think the above applies to most puppies and why if I ever do get another dog - it would have to be at least 2 years old - you rescue a dog... and save yourself from all the work they are as puppies!

Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,626,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Very well said!

I think the above applies to most puppies and why if I ever do get another dog - it would have to be at least 2 years old - you rescue a dog... and save yourself from all the work they are as puppies!
exactly! I had that revelation on the first GSD I fostered. We had no history on her, day one she didn't respond to any commands. Within a week she was masterfully obedient without a lot of work on my part. Made me wonder why I ever bothered with puppys at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay