Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:44 AM

44 posts, read 50,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrawolf View Post
Haha thank you, I guess it's just a fear of going there alone. I've always traveled with my family. Thanks for the advice though. Did you find that you had enough to do around? I'm not aware how much "nature" there is. Are there parks and such?
Also if you like baseball or American Football, you can walk to the Tampa Yankees and Tampa Buccs games from Hawks Landing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 AM

15 posts, read 9,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJCtheRipperxX View Post
I have traveled around like yourself and here is my 2 cents.

Hawks Landing isn't actually your traditional dorm. It is basically an apartment complex that is close to the campus so they market it as student living. There has been several students have things stolen there, so keep things safe and be smart (you'll be fine).

That said, if you are alone and without a car it is still probably your cheapest/best option. Most of the time you have to show them that you are getting financial aid (if you don't have a job) so they know you have enough to cover their rent. As the person said above me the out of state tuition is around $380 a credit hour so your aid is probably all used by that.

Tampa itself has its pros and cons like anywhere else. I have been working/living here since finishing grad-school 2 years ago. It is not my cup of tea and I will be moving this year. However, there are far worse options and the food is great.

Of the towns you named Fort Lauderdale would be my first choice. Don't let Miami-Dade Community College slip out of consideration either.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think Miami-Dade Community College has any housing available near by which is why I chose to look for junior colleges. My other options are Florida SouthWestern State College in Fort Myers, Indian River State College in Fort Pierce, and College of Central Florida in Ocala. I don't know if you know anything about those places, but if you do which place would you suggest?

I'm worried it might be a hassle to have to deal with finding a place to stay near by and expensive also. Yes, I have to pay out of state tuition. I'm working as much as I can right now to make enough money to cover a part of all the expenses, but it's not a huge amount of money. My mom is going to help out paying for the rest, but she can't do that for long so I do have to work there too. What are working with if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:52 AM

44 posts, read 50,878 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I don't think Miami-Dade Community College has any housing available near by which is why I chose to look for junior colleges. My other options are Florida SouthWestern State College in Fort Myers, Indian River State College in Fort Pierce, and College of Central Florida in Ocala. I don't know if you know anything about those places, but if you do which place would you suggest?

I'm worried it might be a hassle to have to deal with finding a place to stay near by and expensive also. Yes, I have to pay out of state tuition. I'm working as much as I can right now to make enough money to cover a part of all the expenses, but it's not a huge amount of money. My mom is going to help out paying for the rest, but she can't do that for long so I do have to work there too. What are working with if you don't mind me asking?
I'm going to send you a Direct Message. You'll see why haha.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I didn't realize you can dorm at hillsboro community college..Our daughter is looking to start there next fall..
As MortonR said, Dale Mabry is the only campus that has "dorms". They are more like apartments as XxJCtheRipperxX said, but it's the closeness to the campus that's good for me. What campus is your daughter going to attend? What is she going to study?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 AM

201 posts, read 195,129 times
Hi SierraWolf,
I'm wondering how you settled on HCC and Tampa in particular. Is your family moving to FL? If yes, it's probably a great idea to just live with them for a year before starting school only because once you get labeled with out of state tuition many schools will never change it. Also if you do that there is some slippery terminology- regarding the exact dates you need to prove your residency, to look into. If your year of being in FL is the 1st day or after the first day of a semester you can't get in state until the next semester.

I went to HCC at that campus and some of their other campuses and it was a total nightmare. One of the worst schools I ever went to. There are good and not so great things about Tampa. Since you've lived in the Dom Republic the weather (tampa is the lightning capital of the world) shouldn't be too horrible of an adjustment.

For a young person, I think the best school is University of Florida based out of Gainesville. UF (NOT to be confused with USF). I say this because I traveled a lot and went to a lot of events while I was in Tampa. The other schools just put out salesmen, but they send out their students, even though they arent' close to places and other schools are. For example there are many schools in the Tampa area but the only ones I ever saw out doing community outreach in Tampa were the UF students. Their students (and extention folks, and volunteers and professors) were always out doing community outreach and education. They seem to find a way for each major to do actual outside of class learning and educating at the same time. I think that makes for a better learning experience and more for your money.

You don't just read about things, you do them. They have labs even that the public can go to for services (such as the exercise science lab). It is a traditional university and I feel the best learning experience and social experience. It seems not matter what department you are majoring in, they will get you out in the community, not just sitting in class. I think you'd meet quality friends and although it isn't in a hot spot I think they probably have plenty to do and it might be safer. No I'm NOT a salesman or affiliated with UF, I just know what I experienced.

I'd like you to have a really positive experience. I can't recommend HCC or most other schools other than UF.
NG

Quote:
Hi there,

I am totally new to everything here so I am looking for some advice. I am probably going to attend Hillsborough Community College, Dale Mabry Campus this Fall. I'd be living in the dorms near the campus so that is at least one less thing to worry about. However, I've lived abroad basically all my life (not in the U.S. at all) and I've never visited Tampa, only Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, and Fort Pierce. Which I know is probably not a good thing. I am going to try to go this summer, but it's iffy.

Point is, I keep trying to find information on living in Tampa and I don't read very many good things. I'll be moving out alone and I am absolutely terrified. I've lived in Austria, Canada, Germany, Venezuela, and Dominican Republic. I am a U.S. citizen by the way, my family (Austrian) just moves around a lot. I keep hearing about the high crime, terrible traffic, no work, and so on. I trying to transfer after two years at HCC, but I'm not too sure where yet. Either way, is Tampa really such a terrible place to live? Is it safe for a student? What should I know and prepare for in the area?

Thank you for all comments!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
What do you plan on studying? Major?
Computer Information Systems Transfer Track

Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGator View Post
Hi SierraWolf,
I'm wondering how you settled on HCC and Tampa in particular. Is your family moving to FL? If yes, it's probably a great idea to just live with them for a year before starting school only because once you get labeled with out of state tuition many schools will never change it. Also if you do that there is some slippery terminology- regarding the exact dates you need to prove your residency, to look into. If your year of being in FL is the 1st day or after the first day of a semester you can't get in state until the next semester.

I went to HCC at that campus and some of their other campuses and it was a total nightmare. One of the worst schools I ever went to. There are good and not so great things about Tampa. Since you've lived in the Dom Republic the weather (tampa is the lightning capital of the world) shouldn't be too horrible of an adjustment.

For a young person, I think the best school is University of Florida based out of Gainesville. UF (NOT to be confused with USF). I say this because I traveled a lot and went to a lot of events while I was in Tampa. The other schools just put out salesmen, but they send out their students, even though they arent' close to places and other schools are. For example there are many schools in the Tampa area but the only ones I ever saw out doing community outreach in Tampa were the UF students. Their students (and extention folks, and volunteers and professors) were always out doing community outreach and education. They seem to find a way for each major to do actual outside of class learning and educating at the same time. I think that makes for a better learning experience and more for your money.

You don't just read about things, you do them. They have labs even that the public can go to for services (such as the exercise science lab). It is a traditional university and I feel the best learning experience and social experience. It seems not matter what department you are majoring in, they will get you out in the community, not just sitting in class. I think you'd meet quality friends and although it isn't in a hot spot I think they probably have plenty to do and it might be safer. No I'm NOT a salesman or affiliated with UF, I just know what I experienced.

I'd like you to have a really positive experience. I can't recommend HCC or most other schools other than UF.
NG
Ah, that's not good to hear. I haven't completely settled on HCC, but it is at the top of my list as being the cheapest option. I wanted to attend a junior college so my other options are Florida SouthWestern State College in Fort Myers, College of Central Florida in Ocala, and Indian River State College in Fort Pierce. Do you think one of those might be better? I'm also trying to get into the honors program at HCC, could that maybe make my situation better?

My family is not moving with me, my mom (only parent) cannot work in the United States and I have three younger siblings still in high school. I'll be moving from the Dominican Republic so yeah, as far as I saw, weather didn't seem like a big issue and Florida is also close to family in a way. I wanted to go to a state with a warmer climate, that is sort of how I picked Florida. I know there are other states, but everyone I know in California complain about the prices and I don't have a lot of money. Texas I guess could be an option and I know there are many other warm states, but it is also about the universities available to transfer to in the state. I want to stay in state to help out with getting the tuition. I don't know for sure if it will. I was thinking of taking a year off after my AA if need to work, don't know if I can though. I'm trying to find out as much as I can, but it is hard not living in the area.

I already took a year off of high school. I graduated in 2016 and couldn't end up going to university because it was too expensive even with all the financial aid and scholarships. I applied to the same junior colleges in Florida and in some others states last winter for Spring 2017, but I made a stupid mistake sending in my FAFSA late, wouldn't have found out my scholarship opportunities until the semester. Mom couldn't take that risk, now I'm taking a whole year off already so I don't want to take much more. Basically I messed up.

I've actually heard a lot about UF, and it is on my list of transfer schools. When I found out I wasn't going to school in the Spring it was too late to apply for UF scholarships. Trust me, I'm really fed up with myself. I figured my next best, and cheapest option would be going to a JC. On the bright side, I don't know about my other JCs, but at HCC I already start with 12 credits from APs. I'm thinking of taking some CLEP exams so I can finish my degree faster too. What was your major by the way? And sorry for the long explanation haha.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You could do a lot worse. Just use your common sense about where you go, what time, and who you hang around as a college kid/student. Be smart when you drive - be defensive and expect the people around you to make unpredictable, aggressive moves on the road. Give them their space.

If you have a good head on your shoulders, you should be able to find part time work. Being fluent in Spanish might help (if you are).

I think you're wise to attend community college first then transfer.

There are a lot of schools in the state and the country where you can transfer if you find the area isn't for you.

Good luck.
Thanks for your advice! I actually do speak some Spanish. I can understand most, replying is a littler harder, but I will defiantly focus on learning that more then.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:35 AM

201 posts, read 195,129 times
HI SierraWolf,
I saw earlier your mention to another poster that you are considering Computer Information Services Track. Just a reminder there are many US schools, both community college and regular that have online degrees. It might make more sense to go to one of those, especially if you're getting slapped with Out Of State Tuition at a FL Community college. Actually it will likely be the same or less than the cost of in person at HCC or other FL community college. Often for distance learning the schools charge the same for in state/ out of state students so it is likely to be cheaper. I understand you feel behind and that might be a way to take some classes that will transfer or just get your degree online. University of Maryland University college umuc.edu is one. Ivy Tech Community College is physically in Indiana but also has online degrees (associate, 2 year). IvyTech.edu There are many others. In fact I think UF has online things but again at most any school, once you get slapped as "out of state" no matter how long you are there, you are always considered "out of state". AND be careful often they go by the address when you APPLY.

You might be able to start where you currently live (check with the school) so you feel less behind. Or you could move to the US, start online courses (at a school out of state, if you try this in state you'll again be out of state tuition forever).then in a year when you would get in state tuition you'll be good to go and apply to a FL school
If you are taking classes in person with out of state tuition you might find you are paying just as much for a FL community college as a 4 year college. With out of state tuition is it unlikely to be cheaper than a 4 year degree. Personally I think you're better off waiting until you can file for financial aid and going directly to a decent school and live in a real dorm if you choose. If you know anyone (safe and trustworthy) in FL, I would go there, live with them, work, go to online school and in a year apply to places for instate tuition/ financial aid.

My number 1 concern is your safety. If you're wondering about those other schools / areas I'd consider posting questions under the forums for them.

Anyplace you know someone is better than someplace you don't, especially if you're living on your own or plan to. CA has a very good system for IT majors and a lot of schools in general. It might be good to live with someone there, work for a year (same as FL possible plan) and if you like it go to school there.

In response to your question my first degree was in psychology (BS), then I went to Information Technology (AS) , onto working in Masters software engineering, had another major super change in life and the universe and now I'm studying nutrition. I've been to a bunch of different schools to say the least. Moved quite a bit, done a bunch of different jobs. There are many options.

NG

Quote:
Ah, that's not good to hear. I haven't completely settled on HCC, but it is at the top of my list as being the cheapest option. I wanted to attend a junior college so my other options are Florida SouthWestern State College in Fort Myers, College of Central Florida in Ocala, and Indian River State College in Fort Pierce. Do you think one of those might be better? I'm also trying to get into the honors program at HCC, could that maybe make my situation better?

My family is not moving with me, my mom (only parent) cannot work in the United States and I have three younger siblings still in high school. I'll be moving from the Dominican Republic so yeah, as far as I saw, weather didn't seem like a big issue and Florida is also close to family in a way. I wanted to go to a state with a warmer climate, that is sort of how I picked Florida. I know there are other states, but everyone I know in California complain about the prices and I don't have a lot of money. Texas I guess could be an option and I know there are many other warm states, but it is also about the universities available to transfer to in the state. I want to stay in state to help out with getting the tuition. I don't know for sure if it will. I was thinking of taking a year off after my AA if need to work, don't know if I can though. I'm trying to find out as much as I can, but it is hard not living in the area.

I already took a year off of high school. I graduated in 2016 and couldn't end up going to university because it was too expensive even with all the financial aid and scholarships. I applied to the same junior colleges in Florida and in some others states last winter for Spring 2017, but I made a stupid mistake sending in my FAFSA late, wouldn't have found out my scholarship opportunities until the semester. Mom couldn't take that risk, now I'm taking a whole year off already so I don't want to take much more. Basically I messed up.

I've actually heard a lot about UF, and it is on my list of transfer schools. When I found out I wasn't going to school in the Spring it was too late to apply for UF scholarships. Trust me, I'm really fed up with myself. I figured my next best, and cheapest option would be going to a JC. On the bright side, I don't know about my other JCs, but at HCC I already start with 12 credits from APs. I'm thinking of taking some CLEP exams so I can finish my degree faster too. What was your major by the way? And sorry for the long explanation haha.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The only "campus housing" is at the Dale Mabry campus. It's at the far west end of the campus on Lois Ave.

There have been issues with crime there in past years, but I don't know if that's still the case or not. I believe the housing is also income-based, that is, if your family or situation is of limited means you've got a better chance of securing a place there.

And for the OP, do realize that you're going to be paying out of state tuition for your first year unless you're in a military family, so the initial costs are going to be pretty high.

As for transportation, you're close enough to Dale Mabry that major bus routes are right there. That being said, you're going to be sorely disappointed in the public transportation here, as it's pretty lousy. In general I think you'l be OK. There's nothing that's dangerous or "ghetto" about the area as it's mostly light industrial and retail around there, not a lot of people live in the area. And if it's any consolation, you're right down the street from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement....

RM
thank you

she will be living at home lol and will just have to do the drive..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay