Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Taking a year off before jumping right into college is a good idea, imo. Not just to save for tuition, but I think you mature a little, get a good sense of direction. I wasted two yrs in college because I entered with a vague sense of direction and wasn't the best student because of the lack of drive/direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 11:18 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
We read that studies show kids who take a gap year are doing better in classes, higher GPA.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 9,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Taking a year off before jumping right into college is a good idea, imo. Not just to save for tuition, but I think you mature a little, get a good sense of direction. I wasted two yrs in college because I entered with a vague sense of direction and wasn't the best student because of the lack of drive/direction.
I graduated high school in 2016, so this is my gap year (that I didn't intend to take, but don't really regret now), however, I feel a lot more pressure now to go to school. And with my situation, where I screwed up and missing a lot of university deadlines by thinking I was going to school in Spring really makes it even harder to figure out what to do.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
We read that studies show kids who take a gap year are doing better in classes, higher GPA.
My niece will start Florida Atlantic in September. I wished she would have taken the year off, maybe attended community college part time while maybe earning a few dollars and learning to drive her new (used) car, but the decision has been made. We'll see how things go.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrawolf View Post
Computer Information Systems Transfer Track
The way things have gone w/ hacking of corporations, politicians, and private citizens, a focus on Cyber Security will pretty much guarantee employment, if you ask me. Good luck w/ your studies.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
You might want to check into Valencia College in Orlando (Community College). They have college apartments that cater to the main UCF University as well as the community college. Maybe the bus schedule might be better there and they have a commuter rail now. Also there is a community college in Gainesville near UF. That town is great when it comes to public transportation for the college town. Tampa is hard when it comes to that and the location of the HCC college apartments are not walking distance to stores and simple amenities.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
The only "campus housing" is at the Dale Mabry campus. It's at the far west end of the campus on Lois Ave.

There have been issues with crime there in past years, but I don't know if that's still the case or not. I believe the housing is also income-based, that is, if your family or situation is of limited means you've got a better chance of securing a place there.

And for the OP, do realize that you're going to be paying out of state tuition for your first year unless you're in a military family, so the initial costs are going to be pretty high.

As for transportation, you're close enough to Dale Mabry that major bus routes are right there. That being said, you're going to be sorely disappointed in the public transportation here, as it's pretty lousy. In general I think you'l be OK. There's nothing that's dangerous or "ghetto" about the area as it's mostly light industrial and retail around there, not a lot of people live in the area. And if it's any consolation, you're right down the street from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement....

RM
Are we talking about the same area lol? What kind of retail is located in Drew Park? There's nothing "ghetto"about Drew Park? Hahahaha, Really? Drew Park is probably the most seediest/ghetto part of Tampa. Why are there so many houses in Drew Park if there's not that many people that live there?
You refer to Town n Country as "Town n Compton" but you find nothing dangerous or ghetto about Drew Park

Old 03-24-2017, 06:53 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Are we talking about the same area lol? What kind of retail is located in Drew Park? There's nothing "ghetto"about Drew Park? Hahahaha, Really? Drew Park is probably the most seediest/ghetto part of Tampa. Why are there so many houses in Drew Park if there's not that many people that live there?
You refer to Town n Country as "Town n Compton" but you find nothing dangerous or ghetto about Drew Park
I know Drew Park well as I used to work right on Lois south of Hillsborough. Yes, there are people who live in Drew Park, but not in any significant numbers. Ghetto? Not really. Auto shops, strip clubs, etc. don't make it ghetto, especially in the area where the HCC housing is. That end of the area is pretty dead as far as people - Thatcher, Ohio and Hubert have some older homes, but they're well kept. Otherwise the only neighbors are churches and small businesses. if they went farther north, sure, it's not a nice area by any means, but there's no reason why they would be going that way as there's nothing there (unless they're looking for a strip club.)

Retail is on Dale Mabry south of Columbus if you haven't noticed. Restaurants, a Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc., etc.

I would find parts of T&C far sketchier than Drew Park. A lot sketchier. But that's just my opinion based on working there, so what would I know? :roll eyes:

RM

Old 03-25-2017, 12:05 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I know Drew Park well as I used to work right on Lois south of Hillsborough. Yes, there are people who live in Drew Park, but not in any significant numbers. Ghetto? Not really. Auto shops, strip clubs, etc. don't make it ghetto, especially in the area where the HCC housing is. That end of the area is pretty dead as far as people - Thatcher, Ohio and Hubert have some older homes, but they're well kept. Otherwise the only neighbors are churches and small businesses. if they went farther north, sure, it's not a nice area by any means, but there's no reason why they would be going that way as there's nothing there (unless they're looking for a strip club.)

Retail is on Dale Mabry south of Columbus if you haven't noticed. Restaurants, a Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc., etc.

I would find parts of T&C far sketchier than Drew Park. A lot sketchier. But that's just my opinion based on working there, so what would I know? :roll eyes:

RM
I guess your not very familiar with the area. If you did a Google search on "retail in Drew Park" you will find the only thing that comes up is a Goodwill store, that's why I thought it was pretty funny that somebody would put retail and Drew Park in the same sentence. Any retail on Dale Mabry is not near Drew Park. The stores you mentioned are further south in the Carver City/Lincoln Gardens neighborhood. There is some small retail on the outskirts of Drew Park. That would be on Hillsborough Ave though, next to the Goodwill store.

FWIW, You do know the lingerie shops and massage parlors in Drew Park are not in the business of selling lingerie or giving back massage's right? In most cities, Tampa anyway you will find those type of establishments in your seedier areas or "ghetto" some people might say.
You said you worked in the area, that doesn't mean you know the area. You know what gos on inside that office from 9-5 maybe but can be absolutely clueless what's actually going on in the neighborhood or area. Unless maybe you walked the neighborhood during your lunch hour but even then how much could you really know about the area. Basically the only thing you know about the area is the quickest way to get to and from it and maybe a handful of places to go for lunch unless you like to hang out in Drew Park after work

Old 03-25-2017, 06:25 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I guess your not very familiar with the area. If you did a Google search on "retail in Drew Park" you will find the only thing that comes up is a Goodwill store, that's why I thought it was pretty funny that somebody would put retail and Drew Park in the same sentence. Any retail on Dale Mabry is not near Drew Park. The stores you mentioned are further south in the Carver City/Lincoln Gardens neighborhood. There is some small retail on the outskirts of Drew Park. That would be on Hillsborough Ave though, next to the Goodwill store.

FWIW, You do know the lingerie shops and massage parlors in Drew Park are not in the business of selling lingerie or giving back massage's right? In most cities, Tampa anyway you will find those type of establishments in your seedier areas or "ghetto" some people might say.
You said you worked in the area, that doesn't mean you know the area. You know what gos on inside that office from 9-5 maybe but can be absolutely clueless what's actually going on in the neighborhood or area. Unless maybe you walked the neighborhood during your lunch hour but even then how much could you really know about the area. Basically the only thing you know about the area is the quickest way to get to and from it and maybe a handful of places to go for lunch unless you like to hang out in Drew Park after work
I guess there's a comprehension issue going on here, as I never said the retail was in Drew Park. And based on your comments you're implying that you either live(d) in Drew Park or frequent it after hours, which it certainly sounds as if you do.

It would appear that your concern is a matter of being "most right". Not to mention it's not terribly germane to the OP's question, either.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay