Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM

278 posts, read 436,663 times

Advertisements

Been in Tampa a few years now, and just bought a beautiful home with a screened in Lanai....that....while it has a beautiful lake/pond view, faces West.

So, in the afternoon, the lanai is staring right into the sun.

Are there any shades that go on the top screens? Or do you have any suggestions? I know we can get shades for the sides, but I'm wondering if someone has invented a shade for the top screen panels in the cages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 PM

3,240 posts, read 2,464,838 times
A lot of people have panels on the top instead of screens which also block out the rain as well as the sun. Alternatively if you are handy you could do something like this https://s3-production.bobvila.com/pa...jpg?1439913662. If it is not a very big lanai and you can sew you might be able to make something like this https://cdn2.tmbi.com/TFH/Projects/F..._SRNPAT_01.JPG

Another option is to have the screen on top replaced with a sun shade screening.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 03-27-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
A lot of people have panels on the top instead of screens which also block out the rain as well as the sun. Alternatively if you are handy you could do something like this https://s3-production.bobvila.com/pa...jpg?1439913662. If it is not a very big lanai and you can sew you might be able to make something like this https://cdn2.tmbi.com/TFH/Projects/F..._SRNPAT_01.JPG

Another option is to have the screen on top replaced with a sun shade screening.
I don't know what Sun Shade Screening is...sorry - i'll have to look that up.

Thanks though!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM

3,240 posts, read 2,464,838 times
It is screening that is made to reduce the sun let in much like tinted windows. It is more of a fabric than screen. 6 ft. x 20 ft. Chocolate Sun Screen Fabric-81020R - The Home Depot

Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecherousLothario View Post
I guess it's just me being an old curmudgeon, but to hear Floridians use the term "Lanai" is highly obnoxious.

That's a Hawaii term, why try to bring Hawaii into the great Sushine state? As far as I'm concerned, it's not a Lanai if you're not in Hawaii.

...And that goes for the lot o' you all as well!! Kidding. It's important to be silly and wry, especially as we age.

Signed, A Florida booster and HI downer
Well, I'm from TN. We called it a screened in porch. My realtor and the home listing called it a lanai, as did the home inspector and the home appraiser....so that's why I call it a lanai.

Signed, a transplant that doesn't care what you call it but you knew what I was talking about and you added nothing but negativity to a simple discussion...

Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM

185 posts, read 171,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Signed, a transplant that doesn't care what you call it but you knew what I was talking about and you added nothing but negativity to a simple discussion...
I think his comment was made in jest to add some levity. I read it as you did until the end of the post when he added this:

...And that goes for the lot o' you all as well!! Kidding. It's important to be silly and wry, especially as we age.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 AM

201 posts, read 196,244 times
Hello Minister,
I had to giggle reading your post about the terminology. Being origionally from New England I've had to learn a LOT of new terms moving south. For example especially at the resorts and other places you never call a trailer a trailer! It's a "park model" or some other thing. And yes, I am also more familiar with screened porch but it's so funny talking to people up north, and putting on airs about my lanai, and gated community. Then at the end of the conversation confessing I was just talking about my screen porch!

Anyway- I have seen different types of shades, some better looking than others. They may not call them shades, it might be some other term but either way, I think it would be good to contact someone / a company that repairs lanais. They would probably have the best options, but I'm wondering if money wise the local home depot/ lowes might have cheaper ideas and solutions.

If your lanai gets ripped it is often cheap and easy to buy the screen and a screen cutter/screen pusher device at the lowes/ home depot, just bring a sample of the ripped screen because they do have different colors/ textures.

And don't forget your sunscreen!

NG

Quote:
Been in Tampa a few years now, and just bought a beautiful home with a screened in Lanai....that....while it has a beautiful lake/pond view, faces West.

Are there any shades that go on the top screens? Or do you have any suggestions? I know we can get shades for the sides, but I'm wondering if someone has invented a shade for the top screen panels in the cages?

Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 AM

428 posts, read 418,179 times
Former NY'er... Lanai, porch... Porch to us meant a covered space that did provide shade from the sun... Look at screened-in porches up north, and they have (require) a typical porch roof!

Building our home now, I have a hard time referring to the "Lanai" as anything but a screened-in patio... Because pavers are akin to concrete slabs, and both only make for a patio in my experience.

Lol.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,941,917 times
Quote:

We use these. Coolaroo's are excellent.

Cordless Exterior Sun Shades

Old 03-31-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
We use these. Coolaroo's are excellent.

Cordless Exterior Sun Shades
Do you have these in a screened in cage? Just wondering if you did - how do you have them attached to your framing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay